What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Connecticut sales tax?

Iluke

Well Known Member
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have experience with the state of CT and their policy on a newly build RV? Mine soon to fly RV is hangered in CT and the state just sent me a bill for $90 for registration which I have no issue with. It says, though, for "new or recently transferred to CT" aircraft, I must provide proof of having paid CT sales tax.

Before I engage with the state authorities, I would appreciate hearing anyone's experiences with this.

thanks
Ivan

The state is looking to verify you paid sales tax on all the parts used to build the plane. For some of the parts you might have paid at the time of purchase, but for other parts such as the Van’s kits from out of state, you should have declared and paid it on your CT income tax for the year you purchased the kit. For me, I sent them a copy of my tax return showing I paid the taxes.

If you are a RI resident, just basing the plane in CT, I don’t know the rules. You would need to contact CT registration and ask how this is handled.

Aaron

Back