- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-05-2022, 10:03 AM

Default automotive type oil cooler

Anybody have any experience using an automotive type oil cool with a fan on it? I have been battling high(ish) oil temps and am considering doing so. I am thinking of mounting one of these: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-15850#overview above a set of louvers on the bottom cowl. Someone want to talk me out of it?
Old 06-05-2022, 10:17 AM

Assuming you have checked all the normal stuff (baffles, sealing, sensor accuracy, birds nests), I highly recommend that you install a viscosity valve in your engine if nothing more than a low cost and easy troubleshooting step. In most cases its a simple 30 minute activity to drop in and you dont need to remove the Vernatherm.

You will be shocked, trust me.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
RV-8 - SDS CPI - SOLD
Old 06-05-2022, 10:30 AM

Jake,

What oil cooler are you running now?

Assuming you have no other issues, perhaps a better cooler is the first option. I like AirFlow 2004X for 180hp parallel valve Lycoming engines. The 2006X is suited for IO-540 and IO-390 engines:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...sOilCooler.php

Carl
Old 06-05-2022, 10:38 AM

The reason I recommend the viscosity valve as a troubleshooting step is because it eliminates the well known issue of poor Vernatherm plunger sealing. Even with good sealing, there is still a lot of leakage with a Vernatherm, and most are far from "good". The viscosity valve plugs that leak path and lets you evaluate the rest of system performance without polluting the results with some unknown % of internal leaking. The viscosity valve plunger is $30 bucks from Spruce if you cant find one laying around an A&P's junk drawer.

Its a lot cheaper and easier than plumbing a new cooler.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
RV-8 - SDS CPI - SOLD
Old 06-05-2022, 07:32 PM

Problem isn't the cooler or the vernatherm, its the lack of airflow through the cooler. I have a 13 row cooler mounted on the firewall with a 4" duct feeding it off the back of the #4 cylinder. I am running a sam James cowl with a plenum, there just isn't enough air available in high alpha climbs to run it. I have measured it extensively with a digital manometer. There is only a 1.8 in/h20 drop across the cooler in climb. In cruise I get a 3.2 in/h20 drop with my cowl flap open, oil temp drops into an acceptable range for me (205-210), but a little warm for some of my less risk tolerant friends. It has a little over 100 hours on it and it hasn't come apart yet CHT's in climb are great, I can hold Vy to whatever altitude I want and the hottest cylinder is right around 400. I could divert air from the cylinders to feed the cooler, but I don't want too....I am running SDS EFI, I think I can control a fan based on oil temp with it, so I thought about a cooler with a fan on it. This isn't exactly a stock 360 either, everything is against it as far as oil temps go. Cold air intake, 10:1 compression, piston squirters, custom Cam, etc. For what it is it actually cools pretty well, but it could be better.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:39 PM

Here are some photos of the current install. The elbow has guide vanes in it to smooth airflow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0406.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	26706  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0414.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	26707  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0415.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	26708  
Old 06-05-2022, 07:48 PM

Here is a link to my engine data from a test flight recently made to torture test the cooler installation after putting in the custom duct.

https://apps.savvyaviation.com/fligh...a-c1a08401c6ce
Old 06-05-2022, 11:05 PM

That elbow looks like it would be relatively rigid, especially if it has flow smoothing vanes inside. With the cooler mounted to the firewall seems like it would self destruct in short order due to engine shake during startup and shutdown.
Old 06-06-2022, 07:10 AM

Looks can be deceiving...
Old 06-06-2022, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclemens View Post
Problem isn't the cooler or the vernatherm, its the lack of airflow through the cooler. I have a 13 row cooler mounted on the firewall with a 4" duct feeding it off the back of the #4 cylinder. I am running a sam James cowl with a plenum, there just isn't enough air available in high alpha climbs to run it. I have measured it extensively with a digital manometer. There is only a 1.8 in/h20 drop across the cooler in climb. In cruise I get a 3.2 in/h20 drop with my cowl flap open, oil temp drops into an acceptable range for me (205-210), but a little warm for some of my less risk tolerant friends. It has a little over 100 hours on it and it hasn't come apart yet CHT's in climb are great, I can hold Vy to whatever altitude I want and the hottest cylinder is right around 400. I could divert air from the cylinders to feed the cooler, but I don't want too....I am running SDS EFI, I think I can control a fan based on oil temp with it, so I thought about a cooler with a fan on it. This isn't exactly a stock 360 either, everything is against it as far as oil temps go. Cold air intake, 10:1 compression, piston squirters, custom Cam, etc. For what it is it actually cools pretty well, but it could be better.
I suggest you have recreate the oil cooling issue on the RV-14 running the IO-390-EXP111 engine - and the reason Vanís went to a 5Ē hose feeding the oil cooler.

As your CHTs are good, there is air more available to steal for the oil cooler. The other answer is to live with it and manage by how you operate the plane.

As a side note - years ago (back when oil cooler selection was not great) one RV-6 builder solved his hot taxi and climb oil temp problem by adding water spray onto into the cooler air path. This was done by repurposing a automotive widow washer pump and tank. His only complaint was he should have put in a larger tank.

Carl