What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fluctuating oil temperature

n518jh

My 2012 RV-12 EAB has about 400 hours and now has erratic oil temperatures after about a half hour in the air, not always, but when it happens it is bothersome. It goes back and forth down to under 120 so the 180 panel shows problems. I carefully looked at the sensor(nothing obvious), the sensor to wire connection, now it's wire tracing time. Anyone have experience with this syndrome, and advice before I check further? Mark

I had the same issue. First time it was a failed pressure sensor. Second time I ended up replacing the sensor lead FWF to fix the issue, so it was a bad connection somewhere. Before I replaced the lead I had changed out the oil pressure regulator poppet to the taper design and tried a new pressure sensor.

Yes, I have had this exact situation. The cause was the electrical connection at the sensor. For what ever reason, it seems like the oil temperature sensor is the most temperamental of the sensors (at least in my case as it has happened a couple of times). I simply disconnect the lead, clean everything with electrical connection cleaner, and reconnect. Everything then works fine for a few hundred hours! Good luck!

Mark

The pressure sensor was a connection issue for me. The temperature indication issue I had affected both oil T and CHT indications. It was solved by Dynon replacing my EMS board.

Thanks for the information

Thanks for the advice, now to dig in and see which part(s) of the Oil Temperature system is the problem. Mark

I have a 9A with 0-320 which was doing the exact same thing. My culprit was the temperature sensor. Changed it out and now have rock steady temp readings.

Back