Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > COMM
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvS View Post
Looking for feedback or pireps from anyne who may have experience with the above VHF comm radios, both of which use a 2 1/4" control head, a remotely mounted transceiver, dual channel scanning and built-in intercom. I am considering which to purchase for installation as the single comm radio in a RV-6A for day VFR use, alongside a Dynon Skyview 10".

I already have a V16 with Vega control head in the aircraft that I currently fly and generally the radio works fine and the control head is easy to see. However, the control head has only two knobs and therefore the user interface is a bit quirky for swapping active and standby frequencies and turning on/off scanning. I've tried to contact MGL via their forum and email and also the local Australian rep and there has been no response at all, unfortunately . Not vendor bashing, but support is an important factor.

I'm wondering if the Trig TY91 may be a better option for the RV, the main concern is it is almost double the price of the MGL radio. I also don't have any direct experience with the user interface or performance or support.

Thanks
Paul.
I went with the TY-91 when I bought my S-2E. I wanted to replace both the radio and the intercom. The all-in-one TY-91 solution saved me space and a lot of time and wiring. It works great. I rarely fly with two people but, obviously, when I do the intercom is essential. I used a Sandia transponder and Echo UAT to get ADSB In/Out. Everything works great and was reasonably priced.
RV-8 N184RK (sold)
Currently flying a Pitts S-2E

Exempt and gladly donating anyway - Current through March 2025
Old 07-05-2022, 08:47 PM

The v16 interfaces with sky view fine. It uses the sl30 protocol. The freq push from skywiew works perfect, now. I was one of the first to interface av16 and skyview and found a bug on certain frequencies but they patched the code a day or so after I emails them. The only minor thing is you must adjust volume and squelch and other parameters through the Vega head. I love the v16 skyview combo.

Bob. Burns