What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to remove a fuel stain?

Dean Pichon

Well Known Member
After my last flight, I refueled the aircraft and pushed it into the hanger. I apparently left insufficient head space and did not seal the cap. The result of the recent warm weather in New England is this fuel stain on the wing. I tried to remove it with fresh fuel, but it didn't touch it. I'm surprised that fuel would stain the (Dupont Imron) paint in this way and hope someone on the forum can tell me how to fix this...

Fuel-Stain.jpg
[/url]gas shell near me[/IMG]

Thanks,

Dean

Why did it not vent out of the vent tube? I?d check the vent tube for blockage.

Amazing that it left a stain like that. Looks like it pooled on a curved surface of the upper wing. My fluids class in colleges proved that not possible.

I use acetone to remove dried on fuel stains. Acetone does not effect my PPG concept but you may want to check imron.

100LL

I've had good luck using fuel to remove the green stain. Just soak a cloth in 100LL and soak the spot for a while and it will dissolve the green stain into the fresh fuel. Do it outside the hangar of course.

Steve

Why did it not vent out of the vent tube? I?d check the vent tube for blockage.

Amazing that it left a stain like that. Looks like it pooled on a curved surface of the upper wing. My fluids class in colleges proved that not possible.

I use acetone to remove dried on fuel stains. Acetone does not effect my PPG concept but you may want to check imron.

Thanks for the reply. I will check the vent, but I believe the fuel, as it expanded simply followed the path of least resistance. The fuel vent, at least in the RV-4, includes a loop that goes almost to the underside of the instrument panel. In order to push fuel out the vent, the tank would have to generate around 12" of head pressure. The unsealed cap is probably almost zero.

I'll check with Dupont to see if I can use acetone on Imron.

I've had good luck using fuel to remove the green stain. Just soak a cloth in 100LL and soak the spot for a while and it will dissolve the green stain into the fresh fuel. Do it outside the hangar of course.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion. My stain is blue. I thought all 100LL was dyed blue. What is green? Regardless, I will try soaking the stain with a rag with fuel.

Concord shares the same Unicom frequency with my airport (KFIT). I often hear an RV flying at Concord. Is that you?

Regards,

Dean

First round try simple green for aircraft. It won?t take all of that stain out but will make it fade. I?ve had some luck with Castrol super clean but be careful with it. Wear gloves and don?t let it sit on the paint very long. Follow up immediately with a water rinse. Lastly no one seems to believe it but that will fade away on its own after a few months (well after you clean it up a bit). Exact thing happened to me a few years ago (also a white wing). I was talking to a paint shop about a cut and blend but decided to wait until flying season was over before doing it. By the end of the summer the stain was gone all on its own.
Procrastination saved me once again...

I use Wash Wax All and it cleans up fuel spills, bugs, dirt or anything that?s on the aircraft with little or no effort. Just don?t spray it in direct sunlight or on the heated surfaces of your aircraft. For stubborn stains let it soak for a bit but don?t let it dry on the surface or you have to start all over and use more elbow grease. I clean up the plane after every flight and a gallon of this stuff will last me over a year. Doesn?t take much.

If all else fails, the only thing that's going to get it out is UV light--leave it out in the sun for a few hours, maybe a couple of days or more and it will eventually fade out.

Had a similar experience. Lightened the stain a little with aviation Simple Green and 100LL but it took acetone to remove it completely. No effect on Sherwin Williams Acryglo paint.

Try mineral spirits. It shouldn't harm the paint. Wipe it on, leave it wet for a minute or so, then try and wipe it off with a rag and some more mineral spirits.

First round try simple green for aircraft. It won?t take all of that stain out but will make it fade. I?ve had some luck with Castrol super clean but be careful with it. Wear gloves and don?t let it sit on the paint very long. Follow up immediately with a water rinse. Lastly no one seems to believe it but that will fade away on its own after a few months (well after you clean it up a bit). Exact thing happened to me a few years ago (also a white wing). I was talking to a paint shop about a cut and blend but decided to wait until flying season was over before doing it. By the end of the summer the stain was gone all on its own.

The photo in my first post was after having tried fuel, Aircraft Simple Green, and Wash Wax All. None of the 3 did much, though I let each only sit on the surface of 30 seconds or so.

I'll report back after having tried a fuel "soak" and UV exposure. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

....By the end of the summer the stain was gone all on its own.

I noticed this same thing years ago. I had stains under the wing near a leaky fuel quick-drain. I replaced the quick-drain. A few weeks later the stains were gone through no effort of my own. I think they will gradually evaporate or fade on their own. Not sure how long it will take.

Chris

The photo in my first post was after having tried fuel, Aircraft Simple Green, and Wash Wax All. None of the 3 did much, though I let each only sit on the surface of 30 seconds or so.

I'll report back after having tried a fuel "soak" and UV exposure. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Same thing happened to mine 4 yrs ago but not near as bad as yours (sorry). None of the suggestions mentioned worked however I do believe the sun is having some effect as the stain is slowly fading. The only thing I have not tried is rubbing compound.

I had a weeping rivet with a big blue stain and I did not realize I had a leak for ages. Mouse milk with one wipe removes all traces of the stain. It's absolute magic ! Try it and see. I was doing my annual and oiling my exhaust pipe fittings with a rag with mouse milk and just wiped the area as that is what I had in my hand and low and behold. That's how i discovered it.

Last edited:
Fuel stain removal - Update

Hi All,

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm trying as many as possible, but so far, no luck. Here's a summary of what I have tried to date:

• Simple Green for Aircraft - No discernible effect
  • 100LL wipe - No discernible effect
  • Wash Wax All - No discernible effect
  • 100LL soak (left 2 paper towels saturated with fuel on the tank for 10 min. Reapplied fuel as necessary to replace evaporated fuel.) - No discernible effect.
  • Acetone - No discernible effect

All solvents tested were applied with clean white rag. I looked for some (any) sign of blue dye transfer. Nothing tested showed any dye.

I have not yet tried these:

• Brake Cleaner - This one scares me a bit as I am concerned it may damage the paint
  • Isopropyl Alcohol - If acetone had no effect, I'm skeptical that alcohol would be different
  • Mineral Spirits -
  • Mouse Milk - I plan to try this one, but am not hopeful as this is a penetrating oil rather than a solvent
  • Rubbing Compound - They guy who painted my aircraft and a tech rep for Imron (paint on my plane) both recommended rubbing compound. I plan to give this a try, too.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for the help.

Dean

Plain white GoJo hand cleaner (w/lanolin).
Amazing stuff, not harmful and easy on the hands.
Slather it on, let it sit 10 minutes or so, wipe off.

George

Back