What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Years of RV Enjoyment (Proof in Pictures)

Mags eating spark plugs

The reason that magnetos eat spark plugs is because they are low voltage, high current ingnition devices. The result is that more electrons are passed over the gap during each spark relative to a high voltage, lower current electronic ignition. When electron flow between two points that are seperated by an air gap (as in a spark plug) the electrons take a tiny bit of metal material with them. This metal material is burned, and not deposited onto the opposite electrode. The more electrons moved per spark, the more material is moved. Limit the number of electrons per spark, and less material is moved. A very simple mathimatical relationship......

I don't know why but I know they do. Look at the picture. :)

Today I replaced last 4 of them at 740 hours. Didn't notice anything different with the engine the same nice and smooth run.

Last edited:
Vman, looks like you never regapped the plugs for the past 700hours. Hmm.

Might run a little better. ;)

Hi All

We have a bunch of keen aviators down in sunny South Africa. We have a nucleus of 6 really keen aviators and we have started putting our formo team together - great discipline and really challenging flying when done properly.

1 x RV4, 5 x RV7

Looking forward to showing our pics and hearing from you all how you do it.

Best
RB

P1000518.jpg

worn in pedals. :)

I'm just a Metallurgist, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Last Night...

Ed:
You appear to be supinating with your right foot, which may ultimately lead to a tendency to veer right when applying the brakes. Fortunately, I suspect you really don't use the brakes a great deal, so other than a little uneven pad wear, you're probably good for another 5,000 hours. Just make sure to keep on eye on this on your condition inspections. Also, aim a little right when you club with anything higher than a 4 iron.
Great picture.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

To the left is a two years old 1,580+ landings RV9A nose wheel tire. Stock, rotated once after 400 hours. Not a single cord showing yet but I decided to replace it anyway :D

My hair was shiny ash brown and is now mostly old man grey not to mention the tummy section. It's too upsetting to post photos!!!

To the left is a two years old 1,580+ landings RV9A nose wheel tire. Stock, rotated once after 400 hours. Not a single cord showing yet but I decided to replace it anyway :D

The tire looks good but I can see the cords showing on that phone from here, Zack Morris:D

The tire looks good but I can see the cords showing on that phone from here, Zack Morris:D

Good catch on the phone. The carrier changed brand name twice during the last decade and they still couldn't get rid off me. :D

the phone is so old even the NSA can't hack it

as for the tires, I bet Vlad used some brake dust to hide the cords

Last edited:
N617AR Tailwheel Area. 6/17/2015

May I present my tailwheel area, fresh after cleaning and greasing. Plane flying since 2002, and the area shows a nice patena where the tow bar dings into other stuff while I'm aiming at the nuts...so to speak. There is some JD Air stuff in there, and I think the tailwheel is a Dayton Murdock creation. I beat the living cr@p out of this area, and it's always done me right.

I really like this airplane. dr

tailwheelenjoyment.jpg

Zerk Fitting

I noticed the zerk fitting in the tailwheel yoke. Have you found that greasing the yoke through the fitting is sufficient most of the time or do you have to disassemble it?

[ed. I usually disassemble it and grease it while it's all apart. To tell you the truth of never even tried to use that fitting. dr]

May I present my tailwheel area, fresh after cleaning and greasing. Plane flying since 2002, and the area shows a nice patena where the tow bar dings into other stuff while I'm aiming at the nuts...so to speak. There is some JD Air stuff in there, and I think the tailwheel is a Dayton Murdock creation. I beat the living cr@p out of this area, and it's always done me right.

I really like this airplane. dr

tailwheelenjoyment.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
An alternative to dr's front-page humorous proposition ...

VAF = Vlad's Always Flying

When the time between oil changes can be measured is days, that dipstick gets a lot of use!

This thread comes at a good time for me! I am doing my first condition inspection with a heavy heart as I'm finding lots of paint wear already, specifically in the cockpit! I bet I have climbed in that cockpit 1000 times in the last year for adjustments and modifications! It's a wonder it has any paint left in it! Also logged 182 landings in the past year and guess what, all of them wasn't greasers! So, gear fairings are showing some wear! Sorry, I cant take pictures where I'm at now or I would post some! :(

IMG_1231.jpg

the slider piece finally broke after 18 years and many hours of use. and by blind luck i found a new piece in my rv drawer. have no idea where it came from :cool: easy fix for a non builder. i like these kind of issues.

IMG_1232.jpg

i also found an easy way to get my slider off and on solo. i fabbed up this special board to help lay the slider on before attaching the rear and then the front.

If your interior paint is badly worn then head on over to any auto parts store and pick up a few cans of trunk spray paint. It is textured and really looks great. I can't say how long it will hold up as I just did my 6-A with it. I would post pics but I am technically challenged. As it wears it will be very easy to touch up as the texture in the paint prevents The appearance of being painted over. If someone else has done this maybe they can post a pic.

That's what happens to the shiny rod ends after 7 years of being under the elements :)

The aileron stops were once yellow and hard. Became white and brittle.

Now machined out of aluminum thanks John. Should last a century.

Center bottom skin wear

Those who are still building and expect a lot of flying take a look at this center bottom fuselage skin wear F-976. You might want to prevent it by putting a sort of anti chafing material.

Flap_skin_wear_-_1.jpeg

Flap_skin_wear_-_1_(1).jpeg

Back