What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 baggage door lock question -- Old and New

BuckWynd

Well Known Member
My RV-8 is a 2006 kit.

My plans show the baggage door lock pins (F-873K) secured to the Lock Arm (F-873L) with screws and nuts.

I happened to look at the newer plans (which are clearly-drawn and gorgeous, by the way!) and they show a different way of accomplishing the attachment -- with wrapped safety wire.

Can anyone comment on the relative merits of doing it the "new" way vs. the old way? Were there problems with the screw/nut method?

Thanks!

i-ggQWTRf-L.jpg

i-tv6KW2N-L.jpg

I'm guessing it's an easier method to use the safety wire. Timely that you brought this up as I have that assembly apart at the moment to replace the lock mechanism. My pins are a snug fit sliding into the blocks in the side, and after 7 years I've broken off the last key I had. (didn't get extras made.....) When the door is assembled, you have to work through a round hole about 1-1/2" diameter in the inner door skin and it's a bit tough getting a small wrench around the back side working through the small hole that is filled up with the parts you're working on. Thanks for posting. I'll be re-assembling the thing with safety wire.

(edit) I just took a look at the drawing I have (the old one) and it isn't clear but the inner door skin has a hole centered on the lock assembly so you can service the lock.

Last edited:
My RV-8 is a 2006 kit.

My plans show the baggage door lock pins (F-873K) secured to the Lock Arm (F-873L) with screws and nuts.

I happened to look at the newer plans (which are clearly-drawn and gorgeous, by the way!) and they show a different way of accomplishing the attachment -- with wrapped safety wire.

Can anyone comment on the relative merits of doing it the "new" way vs. the old way? Were there problems with the screw/nut method?

Thanks!

i-ggQWTRf-L.jpg

i-tv6KW2N-L.jpg

I just did this last week. I don't know why Van's recommended the safety wire, I used cotter pins to secure the clevis pins.

Anyone ever just eliminate the lock completely? Maybe use Dzus or Camlocks instead? I could care less about locking the compartment. I got rid of the keyed ignition, I'd love to get rid of the baggage door lock.

Baggage lock

I also don't have a keyed ignition...
Consequently, I added a starter cutout switch in my locked baggage compartment.

This way, I keep the "retro", old-fashioned push-to-start switch, but can safely leave my canopy open in public without fear of someone reaching in and getting the prop spinning.

Back