What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Post-build blues

cgeyman

Well Known Member
After two intense years of building my RV-9a, things are winding down. If I get my A/W certificate in three weeks it will be back to flying as usual. What advice do former builders give? I am not a gifted builder so being a repeat offender doesn’t make sense. Certainly I will stay active on VAF as I keep my plane safe and flying. I really want to thank Doug for this forum, as it certainly keeps the Van’s fellowship/comraderie afloat. Maybe work towards an AP certificate like Bruce Hill and Paul Dye? Or running like Steve Melton? Or paw rescue and Young Eagles? It will be an adjustment. Mainly my wife doesn’t want me hanging around the house. 🛫. Fuel prices may not allow me to fly as much as Vlad, but lots of x country sounds good.😊

VAF retirement plan

Well, it seems the VAF retirement plan is...

wait for it....

build an RV 15!

no fancy interior, no doors, 2 Garmin G5's, heavy coat in winter, and fishing poles in the back.

It is an interesting phenomena. I devoted full time for 2 1/2 years to building an 8. I didn’t enjoy building as much as others seem to but it’s hard to replace the activity level that building provided.

Yep, the empty shop syndrome is real and has to be addressed in some fashion if sanity is to be maintained, too many acquired skills to let go to waste......

Attachments

• buchanan-zip-4.jpg
    buchanan-zip-4.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 142
  • scoop-4.jpg
    scoop-4.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 6-11-2019.jpg
    6-11-2019.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 144
Wow

What great ideas and posts. The RV-15 does sound really interesting- maybe more of a full reveal at Oshkosh. 👍
Thanks
Cal

I’ll buy you a ticket to Mississippi to help me finish and I’ll feed you like a king with plenty to drink at the end of the day.

Seriously, find a local that needs the help or talk one of your hangar mates to start building.

The offer still stands. Good scotch and cigars have been known to be found.

It took me a couple of years to sort out the (mostly minor) problems of my last build, and a couple more learning to fly it, which was very satisfying.
So we've now started in with a part built RV-6, for the "repeat offender" bit!
Cheers
Mike

It will be an adjustment. Mainly my wife doesn’t want me hanging around the house. 🛫.

:D this really resonates with me. As my retirement looms, within the next few months, I face this exact issue at home. "I married you for life, but not for lunch", she lovingly told me.

That’s funny

Retirement is a great time to start/finish a build. But I may have to go back to work if I don’t get a new plan now.

Last edited:
never had so little time available since I retired from the airlines, almost 5 years ago that is ;)
Good thing is I finally got clever on my 2nd wife since she’s much younger than myself and still has a few working years ahead :D

Notwithstanding what others on this very forum state, building an aircraft is a royal PIA :eek:.
Sure, for most the end product makes it worth, but still… building made me realized what I already new, being born a pilot, not a builder.

Now don’t get me wrong here, I also get some satisfaction in starting and finishing some projects, but on a smaller scale. Such as home maintenance, building and fixing (though not sure I really like this part of the hobby…) my RC planes, etc.
Trying to stay fit is another occupation, as is music (blues harp), and finally having time to read… real books :cool:
Working for our national EAA equivalent also consumes some of my time.

And the flying! Having an aircraft which is mine, which I can/could ride everyday, what a luxury :)
And the more one flies, the more maintenance one has to perform :rolleyes:

Hope I could share some “time filling” ideas here, and lest we forget, we are highly privileged, and life is short…

Now that you are done building you can start the UPGRADES. They are done at your own pace with no one continuously asking “when are you going to be done”

After two intense years of building my RV-9a, things are winding down. If I get my A/W certificate in three weeks it will be back to flying as usual. What advice do former builders give?
You will find out shortly that you're just getting started. Phase I will reveal the need for various adjustments, disassembly of certain components, and other unforeseen challenges. Keep good notes, take lots of pictures, looks for leaks/chafing/looseness, etc... You'll be plenty busy.
Then the carefree flying part will set in. Time to work on accomplishing the maneuvers relevant to your certificate within standards, lots of simulated engine-outs, determining best glide and min sink.
With the passage of time, the bill for vibration will start to come due and you'll be fixing things more often. Again, keep good notes and take lots of pictures. Keep a close eye on these forums for newfound issues and solutions.

I am finding out after 10 years building and now about 6 months flying, I am having so much fun flying I dont want to take the plane out of flight status to work on the wheel pants and fairings. I plan to re-do the panel to move things around a bit but it works fine as is, so that may never happen!

I think the flying part will take care of your time. Have fun and congratulations getting to where you are now.

Thanks for the inspiration

Thanks for the inspiration. I am so close to being done, but just cant seem to make as much progress in a month on the fiberglass as when I was pounding metal. I really appreciate all those fiberglass builders more every day.

Hey John

Hope to meet you at Oshkosh if you are going. My canopy is not the greatest and really deserves an entire do over, but that is a BIG do over. So I will live with what I made for now. Good luck on your plane. I hope to do first engine start soon. Can’t really do much though, other than trial start, as I have to wait for full-on new engine running in phase 1. The excitement really builds for a first time builder. 😊

I am finding out after 10 years building and now about 6 months flying, I am having so much fun flying I dont want to take the plane out of flight status to work on the wheel pants and fairings. I plan to re-do the panel to move things around a bit but it works fine as is, so that may never happen!

I think the flying part will take care of your time. Have fun and congratulations getting to where you are now.

same here!

i don't have post-build blues, it's post-build burnout. after bringing the aircraft in flyable condition i just fix things and fly around. no time left for painting, finishing fiberglass and stuff. :D

Back