What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Champion Oil filter - CH48101-1

dbaflyer

Well Known Member
Looks like I won't be ordering any at Aircraft Spruce anytime soon. 3 month back order?

Attachments

• ACS_Oil_Filter_Backorder.png
    ACS_Oil_Filter_Backorder.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 373
Yea, I saw that too! I was able to snag a 6-pack of the Tempest equivalents; the individually packaged ones seem low on stock as well, generally.

Would the shorter CH48108-1 work just as well as the 48110-1? Available in a couple weeks? I wouldn't just assume it is but it mentions that it is shorter than the 48110 in its description.
Aviall/Boeing has the 48110-1 in July.....

Last edited:
We'll see whether my Tempest 6-pack ships this week. It said it was backordered to tomorrow. But then if you look at another part of the split order in Spruce, it's backordered into May at least. :/

Has anyone ever tried one of those Challenger "lifetime" oil filters? Any idea how well those work?

Several threads on that here on VAF, they seem to be pretty good, but also hard to get.

Interesting, looking back through the archives. Challenger is just up the road from me. But I sent an email this morning to K&P, the non-PMA manufacturer behind them, based on archived threads. We'll see what the current recommendation(s) are. I'll seriously consider them if this Spruce backorder drags on.

Interesting, looking back through the archives. Challenger is just up the road from me. But I sent an email this morning to K&P, the non-PMA manufacturer behind them, based on archived threads. We'll see what the current recommendation(s) are. I'll seriously consider them if this Spruce backorder drags on.

Here are a couple of pictures of my installation. Seems like a good product.

http://www.rv8.ch/kp-engineering-stainless-steel-cleanable-oil-filter/

My understanding is that sadly the owner of K&P has died, and his family is working out what to do with the company, so there may be delays in any orders. My brief interactions with him were very positive. I hope they keep the company running one way or another.

I'm sad to learn of K&P's owner passing; I talked with him a few times over the years and appreciate his innovation. However, I did just order an S40 filter for my motorcycle and it came within a few days, so I'd say the business is still running well.

The Challenger filter is made by K&P for Challenger; and they are rightfully protective of Challenger's PMA status, which I discovered years ago when I bought replacement quad rings for my Challenger filters on my Baron.

However, for experimental use, which we are talking about, a Lycoming engine will use the C4 housing, the element is FE-15, the spring is FE-RS1 and the o-ring is QR2. These components together will form a non-PMA filter that mirrors the Challenger CP48109.

You can order these as parts online at https://usaoilfilters.com.

I personally have K&P filters on all of my vehicles - driven mostly by their very high quality and excellent filtration, but also by no longer tossing oil filters in the garbage and buying new ones. It's $180 or so for the filter components I described, so there is a pay-back period. But it also solves supply chain issues on disposable filters. The additional benefits include quick and easy inspection; I've described this in other forum threads at length as well.

Last edited:
Given the websites' extreme similarities, I wonder if usaoilfilters is just a distributor sister-business of K&P. Regardless, the S15 oil filter assembly combo looks to be what we're all familiar with, by your parts listing below.

BTW, as noted on older threads and both companies' websites, the C4 housing no longer exists. The FE15 filter and S15 assembly both reference fitting into the C3 housing now. I emailed K&P this morning asking for confirmation that this C3 housing is still the intended replacement for a 48108 / 48109-series filter.

I'm sad to learn of K&P's owner passing; I talked with him a few times over the years and appreciate his innovation. However, I did just order an S40 filter for my motorcycle and it came within a few days, so I'd say the business is still running well.

The Challenger filter is made by K&P for Challenger; and they are rightfully protective of Challenger's PMA status, which I discovered years ago when I bought replacement quad rings for my Challenger filters on my Baron.

However, for experimental use, which we are talking about, a Lycoming engine will use the C4 housing, the element is FE-15, the spring is FE-RS1 and the o-ring is QR2. These components together will form a a non-PMA filter that mirrors the Challenger CP48109.

I personally have K&P filters on all of my vehicles - driven mostly by their very high quality and excellent filtration, but also by no longer tossing oil filters in the garbage and buying new ones. It's $180 or so for the filter components I described, so there is a pay-back period. But it also solves supply chain issues on disposable filters.

I'm using the S-15 with 3/4-16x3/4-16 nipple as a replacement for the CH48110-1.

I drilled three #60 holes on the aft most rib at 120° locations for safety wire.

Last edited:
I have a brand new filter element which I believe it has a 13/16-16 thread for sell if anyone is interested. This will fit the housing for CP-48108C I can look up the exact part number if anyone is interested.

I went ahead and ordered an S-15 from usaoilfilters.

Interestingly, I got a reply a few moments ago from K&P, so they're certainly still around. Even though I made clear this was for an experimental engine on an experimental aircraft, their only word on the matter was that they were not set up liability/insurance-wise for anything aviation-related, and that it all had to go through Challenger.

But I'm pretty sure that was a nudge-nudge-wink-wink deal, because in the next paragraph they confirmed that for a /non-aviation application/, the equivalent to a Champion 48108 is still the S-15. Even going so far as to mention the safety wire drill hole locations "which many race applications require" (their words in the reply).

After reading this the return on investment is quick enough to make the purchase. I change my oil every 25 hours and fly about 140 hours a year. The convenience is a huge factor as well! Glad that we can pick up the S15 and the nipple as well as stay away from "aviation pricing"

When I was in the market for it, they would sell the housing but not the filter element for aviation.

I went ahead and ordered an S-15 from usaoilfilters.

Interestingly, I got a reply a few moments ago from K&P, so they're certainly still around. Even though I made clear this was for an experimental engine on an experimental aircraft, their only word on the matter was that they were not set up liability/insurance-wise for anything aviation-related, and that it all had to go through Challenger.

But I'm pretty sure that was a nudge-nudge-wink-wink deal, because in the next paragraph they confirmed that for a /non-aviation application/, the equivalent to a Champion 48108 is still the S-15. Even going so far as to mention the safety wire drill hole locations "which many race applications require" (their words in the reply).

Definitely going on an airboat if anybody asks.

Given the websites' extreme similarities, I wonder if usaoilfilters is just a distributor sister-business of K&P. Regardless, the S15 oil filter assembly combo looks to be what we're all familiar with, by your parts listing below.

BTW, as noted on older threads and both companies' websites, the C4 housing no longer exists. The FE15 filter and S15 assembly both reference fitting into the C3 housing now. I emailed K&P this morning asking for confirmation that this C3 housing is still the intended replacement for a 48108 / 48109-series filter.

K&P owns both websites, usaoilflters is simply their online store.

The C4 housing does exist - it's the same part without the PMA laser etching they make for Challenger. I bought one last year and I suspect you will need to call them and explain what you need it for and allay their concerns over the PMA part they make for Challenger.

If you're going the route of the non-safety wired filter, then the S15 will work well.

Last edited:
The FBO where I've always bought my oil filter says they won't be selling them to the public any longer because they can't get any like the rest of us. They have a small fleet of aircraft to maintain so I do understand. I can't find any suppliers with the tempest 48110-2 instock. This problem isn't likely to go away for awhile soooo...... I just spent a couple hundred bucks on one of these K&P filters.

Discovered this thread and from what I've read and researched, it appears so be a godsend. I ordered the S-15 along with the 3/4-16 double male adapter nipple. Also an extra o-ring. The fact that they are reusable will save $30.00 for a new filter, (which we can't get), with every oil change. I average at least 2 and sometimes 3 oil changes a year so the payback should only take a couple years.

You can order new quad o-rings for the Challenger/K&P filter from Mcmaster Carr for less than 50 cents apiece. The part number is 90025K391. I change the o-ring every time I change the oil.

I can't find any suppliers with the tempest 48110-2 instock. This problem isn't likely to go away for awhile soooo...... I just spent a couple hundred bucks on one of these K&P filters.

Awhile ago, about the start of this thread, I ordered a couple of Tempest 48110-2 filters. Those were delivered about a week ago. I must have forgot and ordered some more because I just received three more yesterday.

MY K&P arrived this week, very impressive looking assembly. Looking forward to the next oil change to get it on and then the following one to see ease of cleaning and inspecting the filter contents.

Glad I came across this thread, this may have been the best $200 I've spent, and should return the investment in 12 to 14 months if I keep up the flying like I have over the past couple years.

In response to Bill Peytons post, I'm with you. Decided I'll be changing the o-ring with every change.

One thing I noticed with the K&P filter is the o-ring sticks above the surface only about .030 of an inch. The filter is supposed to be torqued IIRC TO 15 ft lbs. Almost seems that would more than compress the o-ring until the oil filter housing contacts the mounting face on the engine. I called K&P and their response is they have thousands of these filters out there and no ones had this issue. I'm sure they're right. Maybe I'm so use to seeing what appears to be a lot of o-ring standing proud of the surface of the tempest like I'm use to.

Still VERY impressed with this filter. Even if disposable filters become readably available again, just to save the money I'll be using the K&P.

For those of you getting the K&P, just curious how long your delivery took? I ordered a few weeks and haven't heard a peep - just trying to calibrate my delivery expectations.

Still VERY impressed with this filter. Even if disposable filters become readably available again, just to save the money I'll be using the K&P.

What I like the most about the K&P filter is that I no longer have to cut open the filter can and cut out the paper element to inspect the filter. Just a bit of diesel fuel or some brake cleaner to see what's trapped in the element. I bought two of the filter elements so that I can take my time inspecting and cleaning the "dirty" one.

Couple of pictures here: http://www.rv8.ch/first-oil-change-with-kp-cleanable-filter/

IMG_5790-2048x1536.jpeg

(ctennis)..... I ordered my filter and it took them a couple days to ship. They actually called with the tracking number. Said they were having email troubles. it came from Denver, CO I think and it was about 6 days to receive it here in south Alabama. So order to delivery was 8 days. Came via UPS. You ordered a few weeks, I'd for sure give them a call.

Last edited:

However, for experimental use, which we are talking about, a Lycoming engine will use the C4 housing, the element is FE-15, the spring is FE-RS1 and the o-ring is QR2. These components together will form a non-PMA filter that mirrors the Challenger CP48109.

I personally have K&P filters on all of my vehicles - driven mostly by their very high quality and excellent filtration, but also by no longer tossing oil filters in the garbage and buying new ones. It's $180 or so for the filter components I described, so there is a pay-back period. But it also solves supply chain issues on disposable filters. The additional benefits include quick and easy inspection; I've described this in other forum threads at length as well.

I couldn’t find a C4 housing listed on their website. Would another housing fit?
Their S15 filter kit includes all the parts you listed, except it has a C3 housing, and is less expensive than buying individual parts.

You don't order from Challenger in Vandalia. Order from K&P in Denver. And I don't need the nipple as I also have the Casper 45* oil filter adapter (like we were selling in the cleanout last weekend).

For those of you getting the K&P, just curious how long your delivery took? I ordered a few weeks and haven't heard a peep - just trying to calibrate my delivery expectations.

Mine arrived in about a week or so, didnt take long at all.

Just a note for anyone finding this thread, there are a couple of different entities at play here and it's a bit confusing.

K&P engineering makes the filters

Their online store front is usaoilfilters.com

The aviation model they make is re-branded by Challenger, and has to be ordered via a Challenger reseller (Spruce, etc).

There is also oilfiltersites.com out of Denver which sells the filters, and is a separate small business doing resale.

The pricing and storefront between the two sites is identical as best as I can tell, but they are not the same organization.

Further clarification -

K&P only sells via distributors. usaoilfilters.com is their distributor sister-company that you should order through. Do not mention anything "airplane", else K&P will cut the conversation very short and point you to Challenger. There is no need to go to Challenger / Spruce and to pay $100+ more for the PMA'd certified filter.

all correct on the latest posts, and major thread drift here, but since you insist ;)

The S15 is also used on many different automobile equipment, hence I ordered mine from ECS Tuning... and there are more providers out there.

I couldn’t find a C4 housing listed on their website. Would another housing fit?
Their S15 filter kit includes all the parts you listed, except it has a C3 housing, and is less expensive than buying individual parts.

Scott, the C4 housing is not on their website. I'm made other posts to explain this, however, you can just call them to buy it or just get the S15 and drill the C3 housing flanges as an option. Ensure you explain it is for your experimental airplane. Although telling folks "it's for my RV" is a line I've used as well that's honest at that.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1604691&postcount=10
https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1604910&postcount=19

What I like the most about the K&P filter is that I no longer have to cut open the filter can and cut out the paper element to inspect the filter. Just a bit of diesel fuel or some brake cleaner to see what's trapped in the element. I bought two of the filter elements so that I can take my time inspecting and cleaning the "dirty" one.

Couple of pictures here: http://www.rv8.ch/first-oil-change-with-kp-cleanable-filter/

View attachment 26015

I completely agree.

There are several other threads on this same filter where we've discussed their value; it's a great product.

all correct on the latest posts, and major thread drift here, but since you insist ;)

The S15 is also used on many different automobile equipment, hence I ordered mine from ECS Tuning... and there are more providers out there.

Thanks.... You just saved me $30.00 and free shipping.....:)

I definitely appreciate all the input people have made to this thread, but I can't seem to figure out what K&P option would replace the 48110. 48109 and 48110 have some different dimensions, although it looks like the mounting dimensions are the same. The ACS descriptions (shown in the screenshot) are also different. It is clear that CP-48110C is the Challenger part, but I don't know how to translate that to the K&P housing, filter, spring and o-ring part numbers with any level of confidence.

Do you know if the S15 (or the C3 or C4 housings) works to replace the 48110 too?

Also, does the C4 housing come with the hex "nut" shown in the picture? That alone would make it desirable over the C3.

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• Challenger filter.JPG
    Challenger filter.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 214
If you need the nut, It will co$t you. It is not needed. Don't purchase in parts, just order the S-15 and the thread adapter.

Skip that post that you referenced and read through the others again. Everything is explained.

Last edited:
Further clarification -

K&P only sells via distributors. usaoilfilters.com is their distributor sister-company that you should order through. Do not mention anything "airplane", else K&P will cut the conversation very short and point you to Challenger. .

How very true. I spoke with them briefly over the phone about C4 housing versus C3 and safety wiring a C3.

Then went to their website (USAOilfilters). I ordered a S15 and a 3/4-16 nipple.

Two hours later I get an email that they have canceled my order due to the fact that they suspect, from my phone call, that this might go on an airplane.

David

If you need the nut, It will co$t you. It is not needed. Don't purchase in parts, just order the S-15 and the thread adapter.

Skip that post that you referenced and read through the others again. Everything is explained.

I probably need it explained Barney style. Regardless of that, while following your (now bolded) suggestion, I'm still left wondering whether to order the default (w/ bypass) or the non-bypass version of S15. The 48110 doesn't have an internal bypass, or at least that is what DanH said in this thread https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=199634&page=3

I can guess the likely answer, but hope someone will chime in again.

The ACS description for the Challenger version says w/o relief valve. Would having both internal and external bypasses matter?

Bypass valves are a good thing. There is no problem having two. If The media gets clogged, the oil and extra pressure needs to go somewhere.

How very true. I spoke with them briefly over the phone about C4 housing versus C3 and safety wiring a C3.

Then went to their website (USAOilfilters). I ordered a S15 and a 3/4-16 nipple.

Two hours later I get an email that they have canceled my order due to the fact that they suspect, from my phone call, that this might go on an airplane.

David
Can't blame them - they have apparently transferred the risk of selling aviation products to Challenger. You will get a similar response from just about any clued-in vendor of stuff that might be used in aviation.

I definitely appreciate all the input people have made to this thread, but I can't seem to figure out what K&P option would replace the 48110. 48109 and 48110 have some different dimensions, although it looks like the mounting dimensions are the same. The ACS descriptions (shown in the screenshot) are also different. It is clear that CP-48110C is the Challenger part, but I don't know how to translate that to the K&P housing, filter, spring and o-ring part numbers with any level of confidence.

Do you know if the S15 (or the C3 or C4 housings) works to replace the 48110 too?

Also, does the C4 housing come with the hex "nut" shown in the picture? That alone would make it desirable over the C3.

Thanks,

John

Yes, the C4 housing has the 1" nut on the end. It is the same in volume as the C3 housing. The direct answer to your question is that you can replace a 48110 with a S15, along with the 3/4-16 Thread Fitting. The 48110-1 filter does not have a bypass, but you can buy the S15 without one as well if desired. Noting DCBrown198's issue, maybe don't call them after all and instead just buy the S15 and nipple online USA Oilfilters, otherwise buy the S15 and then buy the 3/4-16 nipple from somewhere else, such as this one from Summit Racing.

I've had no issue ordering the C4 housing in the past. I've bought two filters from Challenger for my certified airplanes and then the C4 on three different occasions for experimental aircraft, once via the USA Oil Filters website and twice over the phone, clearly stating it was for my experimental aircraft; I worked with Dave Fisher if that helps. Others have reportedly had issues doing so, noted on this thread and few others on the forum. I agree with, and have said before that I believe their apprehension is related to protecting their PMA supplier agreement with Challenger, which is entirely understandable.

Assuming that you are not able to purchase the C4 housing and desire the 1" nut, the CP-48110C filter is available as a certified part for $279 from Knots 2U. In the big scheme of all things aviation, it's not that much more than a machined finish S15 with the adapter, but also already has the "nut" and is drilled for safetying.

Yet another alternative is to buy the filter through a local dealer. My local KTM motorcycle dealer is also a K&P dealer will be happy to sell me whatever is available from K&P in his dealer catalog.

Even if you buy the filter from Challenger, you can still buy and use the QR2 quad rings directly from USA Oil Filters as needed. I get about 2-3 oil changes per side of the quad-ring based on wear or nicks in the rubber.

Last edited:
Yes, the C4 housing has the 1" nut on the end. It is the same in volume as the C3 housing. The direct answer to your question is that you can replace a 48110 with a S15, along with the 3/4-116 Thread Fitting. The 48110-1 filter does not have a bypass, but you can buy the S15 without one as well if desired. Noting DCBrown198's issue, maybe don't call them after all and instead just buy the S15 and nipple online USA Oilfilters, otherwise buy the S15 and then buy the 3/4-16 nipple from somewhere else, such as this one from Summit Racing.

I've had no issue ordering the C4 housing in the past. I've bought two filters from Challenger for my certified airplanes and then the C4 on three different occasions for experimental aircraft, once via the USA Oil Filters website and twice over the phone, clearly stating it was for my experimental aircraft; I worked with Dave Fisher if that helps. Others have reportedly had issues doing so, noted on this thread and few others on the forum. I agree with, and have said before that I believe their apprehension is related to protecting their PMA supplier agreement with Challenger, which is entirely understandable.

Assuming that you are not able to purchase the C4 housing and desire the 1" nut, the CP-48110C filter is available as a certified part for $279 from Knots 2U. In the big scheme of all things aviation, it's not that much more than a machined finish S15 with the adapter, but also already has the "nut" and is drilled for safetying.

Yet another alternative is to buy the filter through a local dealer. My local KTM motorcycle dealer is also a K&P dealer will be happy to sell me whatever is available from K&P in his dealer catalog.

Even if you buy the filter from Challenger, you can still buy and use the QR2 quad rings directly from USA Oil Filters as needed. I get about 2-3 oil changes per side of the quad-ring based on wear or nicks in the rubber.

Wow. Thanks for all the research and that very thorough response. That helps explain everything very, very well.

After thinking more about the aluminum nut, I feel like it might get marred up with the way I handle wrenches sometimes, but I may still get the PMA version.

Thanks again.

After thinking more about the aluminum nut, I feel like it might get marred up with the way I handle wrenches sometimes, but I may still get the PMA version.

Thanks again.

I've had the Challenger filters (the PMA'd laser etched version of the K&P Engineering filters) for many years. While they do have some tooling marks from many, many uses, the "nuts" are still in good shape and hold up well.

Here's my new C10 housing with an oil vent (the reusable version of poking a nail in the filter). Beautiful craftsmanship.

Attachments

• IMG_0075.jpeg
    IMG_0075.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0077.jpeg
    IMG_0077.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Back