What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avstar/Silverhawk/Bendix

jcbarker

Well Known Member
I know the Silverhawk and Bendix are the same functionally and parts wise. Is Avstar now the dealer/company that supplies the Silverhawk?

The short answer is yes.

But I recommend you instead use the new AirFlow Performance FM-150C that Don developed specifically for horizontal injected Lycoming. I pulled the AVSTAR off my IO-360-M1B on my RV-8 and am very happy with the bump in performance.

Carl

The short answer is yes.

But I recommend you instead use the new AirFlow Performance FM-150C that Don developed specifically for horizontal injected Lycoming. I pulled the AVSTAR off my IO-360-M1B on my RV-8 and am very happy with the bump in performance.

Carl
What kind of performance difference did you notice?

What kind of performance difference did you notice?
I wish I had better before and after data, but I noted:
- a reduced takeoff roll
- under the exact same LOP cruise conditions, I measured a 2-3 kt increase in TAS for the same fuel flow.

The later did not make sense to me as I figured LOP fuel flow was the only variable in the equation. It seems I was wrong.

I recommend this setup for any horizontal injected Lycoming. For the RV-14 with the new engine I thing Don will have a similar variant to the FM-200.

Give Don at AirFlow Performance a call.

Carl

Carl,

Did you have to make any modifications to your snorkel? I thought I read a post a while back about the size of the servo inlet being slightly larger than that of the Avstar. Is that true?

Thanks!
J. Baker
RV8

Carl,

Did you have to make any modifications to your snorkel? I thought I read a post a while back about the size of the servo inlet being slightly larger than that of the Avstar. Is that true?

Thanks!
J. Baker
RV8

The AirFlow FM-150C is a bolt on replacement for the AVSTAR - including the Van’s FWF cables, cable brackets and snorkel (remember, I replaced the Thunderbolt provided AVSTAR with the AFP unit).

That said, I am exploring the lessons learned from the RV-14 IO-390-EXP-119 that include a simple mod to the Van’s snorkel that significantly improved airflow (and engine power). Keep in mind that engine uses the bigger FM-200 fuel manager.

Carl
CA8-F5-FFD-4082-497-D-AF2-E-5474-CB8-FCF84.jpg

Back