What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA LODA

Taltruda

Well Known Member
Friend
Could someone help explain something to me? I read the LODA, and I feel I understand the intent that it allows someone who owns an experimental to receive dual instruction. I understand the whole Florida P-40 story on how we got here.
I was always under the impression that you cannot give or receive dual instruction in an experimental unless the person receiving the dual is an owner of the EAB. (Excluding the waivered few people doing transition training)

Here’s my question, what does the statement “The owner (or delegate)…” mean? Can an owner “Delegate” another person that can use their plane for receiving dual? For an example, a father who owns an RV wants to let his son or daughter earn their PPL in their plane. The son/daughter isn’t an owner.. does this “Delegate” statement allow for this? What about letting a friend use it?

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/vintage_experimental/examiners/media/LODA_Template.pdf

You have it exactly correct. Note that since ‘rental’ of your EAB is not allowed, your friend must be a very good friend, as absolutely no compensation, no tit for tat, no free beers, etc are allowed. You can’t charge your kids either, or even have them do extra chores to earn the time. And check with your insurance company. A friend flying under an open pilot warranty may, or may not, be at financial risk, depending on your policy.

The CFI can get compensation, but the airplane owner can’t for “providing” the airplane…..ie can’t “rent out” the airplane. Just out of curiosity, is fuel reimbursement allowed?

As to insurance, an instructor flying under a LODA, yours or his, can do so under the policy’s Open Pilot Warranty, but unless a Waiver of Subrogation is also part of the policy, the insurance company can turn around and sue the instructor in case of an “event”. Some or many instructors don’t have insurance coverage for that. My transition CFI (a good friend) doesn’t have flight instruction insurance. I do have an open pilot warranty and a waiver of subrogation, but as a courtesy to him, I also named him as an insured on my policy, which was pretty cheap.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but for those who applied for a LODA for instructors to be compensated in your RV, how long did it take the FAA to process?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but for those who applied for a LODA for instructors to be compensated in your RV, how long did it take the FAA to process?

IIRC it was 5 days. All done via email. And I got both the owner and cfi version, all on one computer print out. I keep it with my logbook and faa certificates.

The CFI can get compensation, but the airplane owner can’t for “providing” the airplane…..ie can’t “rent out” the airplane. Just out of curiosity, is fuel reimbursement allowed?

I am not a lawyer. Personally I’d steer clear of any cash changing hands. OTOH if the plane went out (with a friend) with full tanks, and came back to me with full tanks, it’s hard to see how I received any compensation. Just my opinion.

Data point: I just received my LODA as a CFI (you can get one for the airplane or as an instructor). It took 18 days to get it back from the time of submission for reference.

Seeing this thread I submitted a LODA request an hour ago for my as-yet-incomplete plane. Got a signed response already.

Less than 24 hours

I submitted mine online and had a pdf in my email box in less than 24 hours. It is incredibly low effort to cover yourself for things like flight reviews, proficiency, safety pilot for IFR currency, etc.

Not sure why mine took so long? Maybe it’s because it wasn’t for a specific aircraft? Regardless I hope it helps, definitely an easy 5min process on my end which is surprising since it’s the FAA

Not sure why mine took so long? Maybe it’s because it wasn’t for a specific aircraft? Regardless I hope it helps, definitely an easy 5min process on my end which is surprising since it’s the FAA

It apparently varies quite a bit FSDO by FSDO.

One option is to see if you can find someone who will let you partner in their RV for some period of time. Co-ownership is perfectly legal though FAA would likely not take kindly to any kind of sham version (e.g. a "partnership" that only lasted a short duration.)

I was fortunate enough to have a friend who offered a couple of partnerships in his RV-6 so I was co-owner for a while (something like a year as I recall) and that extra experience was invaluable when I went to do the first flight in my own plane.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 2.46.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 2.46.32 PM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 101
UPDATE: I sent me request by email on Saturday, they don't open Sunday's and this morning Monday I got it signed by the FSDO in Little Rock, Arkansas.

So basically it's 1 form emailed 1 day turn-around, if you do it now, compared with having to send them many pages including lesson plans, etc, and almost a year to get it done with the North Dallas FSDO just a couple of years ago.

Mine was under 18 hours from application to approved letter. Applied Sunday evening and had a "signed" letter in my email by noon on Monday.

Loda

Applied Sunday, got one in two days and another from a different office 4 days later. Im in socal

I sent my request to [email protected] this morning, May 19th, 2022. I didn’t use any form, just put the required info in the body of the email. Got my signed LODA back in 5 hours! Now that’s service!.

Back