What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14/14A for MS Flight Sim - Sneak Peek

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We've been working with a flight-sim modeling company that requested to build out the RV-14/14A for MS Flight Simulator 2020. Maybe some of the folks here "fly" MS Flight Sim. It's visually pretty amazing! Here's what we spotted on the virtual ramp this weekend:

RV-14A-Model-1-Preview-e1633961504505.jpg

The development team doing this work has asked for some community assistance in two areas, for anyone interested. Be sure to act quickly on both of these since there's not a lot of time!

1. RV-14 owners who might be interested in their paint livery appearing on the model are welcome to send photos
  2. They'll need a few experienced SIM drivers who are also quite familiar with the 14/14A to help do some testing

For both opportunities, please email [email protected] and we will pass all the photos and contact info along to the developers.

Their targetted timeframe for public availability of the model is the Thanksgiving (USA) timeframe.

Can we please please have an RV10.
I am a long time simmer and have the MSFS (new one). Will be glad to help.

I like to request for the RV8 model in the MS Flightsim 2020. The aftermarket model does not look very realistic and is very buggy to operate and buggy install as well. Also request for the models to be included as in-app purchase instead of manual installation which isn't very easy with the newer flight simulator.

Other models are possible for the future. They had to start somewhere. :) The developers have/will get this feedback (and are already thinking about future models). It's a fairly astounding amount of work to get it right.

Greg, Will the MS version contain the N -number or just color scheme?

MSFS lets the user put their own N-number on the plane before loading up so it would behoove the developer to NOT use your plane's in the schemes they release... however not all developers for MSFS addons follow that lead. I've seen paint schemes on planes that have N-numbers baked in so only they can answer the question.

@gotyoke, you dont need a 3K card.
Just get a newer one with lots of mem. It runs great.
I have to look what I got and will post later. Flawless.
The trick is to run it off an SSD drive.

Too bad MSFS IFR flight engine is complete garbage at the moment. They put all the money into making the graphics awesome. Story of every video game ever.

But hey if i can model my interior, exterior and panel then shut up and take my money!

Just a data-point:

I'm slobbering! Now I just need to save $3,000 for a video card that can run it ...

For what it's worth... I'm running FS2020 on Ultra settings with a GTX-1080 Ti across 3 monitors (5760 x 1080 resolution). My frame-rates are consistently 32 frames per second! I also have a Pimax 8KX virtual reality headset, and the GTX-1080 definitely can't keep up with it on Ultra settings. So if one's goal is to run FS2020 on Ultra settings with VR, then yeah, they'll need something like an RTX-3090 ($3000!) to keep the frame-rates at or over 30 FPS. But if they're willing to back the settings down to Medium, then a GTX-1080 Ti can still provide an enjoyable experience!

We need an RV in MSFS 2020!

This is awesome!

By the way, can you ask them if/when the Garmin 430/530s will be fully functional? I'd love to use MSFS 2020 for (obviously non-loggable) IFR practice, but unfortunately the avionics don't seem to be fully implemented.

We've been working with a flight-sim modeling company that requested to build out the RV-14/14A for MS Flight Simulator 2020. Maybe some of the folks here "fly" MS Flight Sim. It's visually pretty amazing! Here's what we spotted on the virtual ramp this weekend:

RV-14A-Model-1-Preview-e1633961504505.jpg

The development team doing this work has asked for some community assistance in two areas, for anyone interested. Be sure to act quickly on both of these since there's not a lot of time!

1. RV-14 owners who might be interested in their paint livery appearing on the model are welcome to send photos
  2. They'll need a few experienced SIM drivers who are also quite familiar with the 14/14A to help do some testing

For both opportunities, please email [email protected] and we will pass all the photos and contact info along to the developers.

Their targetted timeframe for public availability of the model is the Thanksgiving (USA) timeframe.

Can we please please have an RV10.

Excellent, now do X-Plane.

I have not flown any flight sims in ages, so I'm totally out of the loop here, but... FWIW, I've heard of this RV-10 for X-Plane that looks pretty nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1RmcBR0OgE

https://xplanereviews.com/index.php...ircraft-review-vans-rv-10-by-digital-replica/

https://store.x-plane.org/VANS-RV-10_p_1156.html

https://www.thresholdx.net/news/drrv10

608461874_RV10_LiveryYellowBlue.jpg.665325c31e23dcf54b28303b228a7b2c.jpg

Last edited:
For what it's worth... I'm running FS2020 on Ultra settings with a GTX-1080 Ti across 3 monitors (5760 x 1080 resolution). My frame-rates are consistently 32 frames per second! I also have a Pimax 8KX virtual reality headset, and the GTX-1080 definitely can't keep up with it on Ultra settings. So if one's goal is to run FS2020 on Ultra settings with VR, then yeah, they'll need something like an RTX-3090 ($3000!) to keep the frame-rates at or over 30 FPS. But if they're willing to back the settings down to Medium, then a GTX-1080 Ti can still provide an enjoyable experience!

You got me. I have been waiting on FS2020 specifically because I want the ultimate VR experience and cannot afford the card. Darn crypto miners... Perhaps it's time I lower my expectations. X-Plane 11 is getting a little long in the tooth.

I have the 1050 Ti and 48g RAM on the motherboard, running it all from a dedicated SSD. I run less than ultra res as its about flying not watching scenery. Super smooth, no lag at all.

Xmas shopping

I have the 1050 Ti and 48g RAM on the motherboard, running it all from a dedicated SSD. I run less than ultra res as its about flying not watching scenery. Super smooth, no lag at all.

Ok ok I wil bite.
What do I need to run this new flight sim for IFR training?
Specifically what joy stick, pedals, least expensive computer, monitor?
Does it support touch screen monitor?
I am a big boy I can take it.

For real life ATC controllers and IFR procedures, check out pilotedge.

For an AI version that works very well, try www.pilot2atc.com

Thrustmaster and Saitek make a range of entry level sticks and rudder pedals. Check out Virpil for the higher end stuff, and Brunner for the top of the line force feedback stuff.

The Alpha Flight systems yokes and Bravo mixture controls are top notch.
I still use my 20+ yr old CH Products pedals (recalibrated for MSFS 2020).

For real life ATC controllers and IFR procedures, check out pilotedge.

+1 for pilotedge. The moment you start talking to the live ATC person running pilotedge, your inclination for sim shenanigan stops because the controller will yell at you for doing something stupid. And everybody online will hear it too.

You can also fly my 10 in XPlane - apparently someone took my design and created it.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/search/&q=Flyingthe10&quick=1

I have not flown any flight sims in ages, so I'm totally out of the loop here, but... FWIW, I've heard of this RV-10 for X-Plane that looks pretty nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1RmcBR0OgE

https://xplanereviews.com/index.php...ircraft-review-vans-rv-10-by-digital-replica/

https://store.x-plane.org/VANS-RV-10_p_1156.html

https://www.thresholdx.net/news/drrv10

608461874_RV10_LiveryYellowBlue.jpg.665325c31e23dcf54b28303b228a7b2c.jpg

Any updates on this?

We might have some testing opportunities. I will check on this later today. will require having MSFS 2020 and a computer to run it on, and slots will be limited. Preference for people who are familiar with flying the 14/14A IRL of course from a physics evaluation perspective.

Way off topic

Greg,
Your signature says you have been building the 8 since 2014. Isn't it about time you finish it? If I am not mistaken, I think there are some people at your work who have built a few.

We might have some testing opportunities. I will check on this later today. will require having MSFS 2020 and a computer to run it on, and slots will be limited. Preference for people who are familiar with flying the 14/14A IRL of course from a physics evaluation perspective.

I would love to be a tester. I’ve got MSFS 2020. I don’t have any 14 time but I own a 7A with a 0-360 and constant speed prop, which I expect should be similar enough to check the flight model.

Scott

Greg,
Your signature says you have been building the 8 since 2014. Isn't it about time you finish it? If I am not mistaken, I think there are some people at your work who have built a few.

If I wasn't working so many hours every single week, my RV would be finished! Cobbler's kids' shoes and whatnot...

Several folks here have built RVs, and a few have built multiple.

I'd also be down to be a tester if there's room for someone with only a little experience flying a 14.

I'd love to get on the list too if possible. Only about 5 hours in a 14 (a) but I built/ have a 7(a) with a 390 and a PC that runs it really well.

Alpha/Bravo set currently with CH rudders now, but can easily add a stick (have been considering picking one up anyway).

Just wish they would announce the release date for this. I have a 12core Threadripper Pro w/ 128GB of RAM and a AMD 6900XT ready for it.

Hi,
I normaly fly a real 190HP RV6A and have the Simworks RV14 in M$FS.
Is the original RV14 really that slow ? 22"/2200rpm in 2000ft only 125kts ?
Achim

Hi,
Achim

I was wondering that too. I bought it, and will fly it some more, but I might go back to the Dee Jing RV-7 freeware. It does seem slower than I would expect an RV to be.

In a new SIM model, it's not unusual for inconsistencies like speed/power mismatches that need to be adjusted. Be sure to provide all feedback to the developer - they are quite responsive and very interested in making adjustments to refine the model. I will also pass the info along to them.

Hi,
Achim

I've never flown a plane in these games that perform as their real life counterparts.... especially when it comes to tail draggers.

That said I bought this thing and promptly noticed it was a bit lethargic for an RV. As Greg said they'll tweak it around.

I only have a few flights in this 14 but I coupled it with the TDS 750 and I can have a somewhat similar to my 10 panel set up. At least enough to practice some procedural approach things. Looking forward to the 10.

What Sim control hardware works well for RVs?

If anyone has duplicated a good center control stick and Cessna style RV-14 throttle prop and mixture I’d like to hear what you have. In other words, I like the quality of the honeycomb yoke and throttle quadrant but not so much interested in using them for the RV-14 plane.

Last edited:
Back