What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing kit Woe’s

tireguy

So I just found out from Van’s, my RV 10 back ordered wing kit parts won’t be available for another month or so. I also found out that if some of my BO parts arrive, I must pay to ship them again! Unless I want to wait until all BO parts arrive and they ship once.
The Big hold up are the wing tips. There not expecting to arrive until late August.
I asked to cancel the wing tips and refund the value. Van’s said NO! Even though they don’t exist yet, but because it was part of my original wing order. I’m going to have to wait to receive them, then ask to return them and ship them back!
That is ridiculous!! I’m very disappointed with that..
Has anyone else come across this?

Allan

Last edited:
You are not going to need your wingtips until you are almost finished with your airplane. BO is a common thing with something that is as complicated as an airplane. I just finished my wingtips, 3 1/2 years into the build. All of the multiple long years, they sat on the rafter collecting dust. Either way, the wings waited for a long time before the wingtips get mated.

I agree. But I don’t want vans Back Ordered wing tips and they won’t remove it from my wing kit, even though I won’t receive them for months..
I figured if there BO, and I don’t want them, why make me receive them then return them..

I agree. But I don’t want vans Back Ordered wing tips and they won’t remove it from my wing kit, even though I won’t receive them for months..
I figured if there BO, and I don’t want them, why make me receive them then return them..

What difference does this make??

As previously stated, just get the kit and let Van’s send you the wingtip when they have them. If you want to save on shipping, just have Van’s put them in your fuselage kit when you order it. Wingtips should be deferred to wing fit up and rigging anyway.

Carl

Last edited:
Sorry,
I don’t think I’m making myself clear. I don’t want vans’s wing tips.. I changed my mind and want the third party Zip Tips. Vans is telling me they won’t credit my account the value of their wing tips because it was part of my original order. Despite the fact they are back ordered the farthest and I haven’t received them. Because there the farthest out, “the wing tips” ( I don’t want) they are holding up my other backordered parts.
I’m supposed to wait for them to arrive, AND THEN SHIP THEM BACK for a return?
That’s just crazy.

Left over parts

Most left-over parts can be sold at either SNF or Osh if you advertise them a few months before. Buyers know they can delete the parts from there future order. Yes, you will lose a little but better than paying freight and Vans % for restocking. These kinds of loses are a small % of the finished product and no need to get excited about, the airframe is worth it. Build on and move on, there will be more expenses challenges to work through I'm pretty sure.

I don’t understand why you can’t remove them either. There were several items deleted from my kit, including the wingtips. Maybe it was because I removed them when I ordered the wings.

However, I ended up ordering them later because I decided against the Ziptips. So in the end it cost me more.

no offense, but I don't see it as something vans has to do. back in the day, when you ordered a kit they gave the paper to the shipping department and they packed up the parts and shipped it. it was no problem to pull parts out and delete them. now days, with the amount of kits they ship, i am willing to bet they have people that just pack kits all day. they are no longer packing your kit, they are packing a kit. then someone else takes a box from the stack, puts your number on it and ships it out. to delete parts now takes extra time and manpower. its part of going from a small limited production company to a larger more mass produced product. you lose a bit of the leeway you have in operation to grow, thats business. eventually, it may get to the point that they may even say, no deletions period.

my families business has had to deal with this, when we were a smaller company, changes to the product were not a problem. now that the products are built more like a production line, a change cost time and money.

Back order

Sorry,
I don’t think I’m making myself clear. I don’t want vans’s wing tips.. I changed my mind and want the third party Zip Tips. Vans is telling me they won’t credit my account the value of their wing tips because it was part of my original order. Despite the fact they are back ordered the farthest and I haven’t received them. Because there the farthest out, “the wing tips” ( I don’t want) they are holding up my other backordered parts.
I’m supposed to wait for them to arrive, AND THEN SHIP THEM BACK for a return?
That’s just crazy.

Out of curiosity what are the other back ordered parts?

As mentioned, even if they deleted them, Vans credit is their Wholesale cost not the Retail price they charged. In the end, they are worth more to sell later at Airventure or S&F. I deleted a bunch of stuff from the fuse kit. Stuff that would have been easy to sell. Lost a bunch.

Back