What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ack! Another unwanted ACK E-04 activation

Dugaru

Well Known Member
So for the third time, my ACK E-04 started broadcasting a distress signal in the absence of any distress.

This was of course very... distressing. My good friends with the Air Force in Panama City were, as always, very prompt and very understanding.

My E-04 is mounted in the baggage area, and the activations appear to happen when I'm loading or unloading baggage. The unit itself isn't being knocked or damaged, however; it appears that just jiggling the wires is enough to activate it. Sometimes.

At least my panel switch started flashing, and my alarm box started beeping. I've already had one panel switch die on me.

Not a happy customer of ACK at this point.

I had the same thing happen to me last week. I was at home having dinner when I got the call. Airplane was sitting in the hangar nice and secure with the E-04 going off all by itself. ELT would not reset via the remote panel. After a little research, found that this issue, with this ELT, is all over the internet.

Mine had been active for well over an hour, so a new battery would be required prior to reinstalling the ELT. Opted instead for a new Artex 8108 direct replacement. I have lost all confidence in the E-04. Interestingly, when I called to order the Artex, the guy asked my why I specifically wanted the 8108 model. When I told him I was replacing my E-04, he again asked asked why? When I said due to random activations, he chuckled and said he had three other customers who had the same issue. They had all opted to send theirs back to the factory for testing and have heard nothing for well over a month now.

Last edited:
Back