What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odd headset noise

N546RV

Well Known Member
I've been working on cabin electrical stuff this week, which included wiring up and testing the headset jacks. I took care of the rear jacks a couple nights ago and then tested them with a Flightcom headset I had lying around - worked perfectly. Today I did the front jacks and tested them with that same headset.

At this point I figured it was a good time to get my better half out in the shop and we could talk to each other on the intercom, so I grabbed my Lightspeed Zulu and plugged it into the rear jack. Immediately I heard an obnoxious screech. The only thing I'd changed since the previous test was to mount the jacks, so I removed them again in case I'd maybe grounded the mic jack - no change in behavior.

I'll try and summarize the various things I tried while troubleshooting:

• The Lightspeed set works fine in the front headset jacks
  • The Flightcom set works fine in the rear headset jacks
  • I tried my QT Halo for good measure, it also works fine in the rear jacks
  • The noise only seems to happen if I have the intercom volume turned up, and then only if I break squelch on the mic
  • The noise changes pitch as I adjust the volume on the intercom
  • The noise happens regardless of whether I'm wearing the set or if it's just lying around
  • The noise happens regardless of whether the Lightspeed ANR is turned on or off

Note: This is a Dynon intercom.

I took a short video of the issue to attempt to better illustrate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8g1B37N0-U

Thoughts?

Back