What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

!2-10 Rev 0

Gandalf

Well Known Member
As I install the nut plates for the tail cone I see that the plans call for dimpling in 2 places a K1000-6 nut plate. I am assuming that this means ONE nut plate as depicted. Not sure why I would need to use flush rivets only on one side of the tail cone. So for those who have finished the tail cone: Am I correct in assuming that I only use flush rivets on ONE nut plate on the left side of the tailcone? If so, why just on one side?

Thanks for the help,
Jeff

Jeff,

Generally, "in 2 places" means twice...
So that would/should include 2 nutplates...

Eric... The exact wording is "Match-Drill Dimple 3/32, AN426AD3-3.5, 2 places / K1000-06" and shows Two + signs and and an arrow pointing to One nut plate."

I do not have access to the plans now. I will have to look at the plans again next time I go to the airport.

Jeff

Usually when nutplates are used, something gets mounted to the surface. So the the surface needs to be smooth with nothing protruding. So all nutplates and the skin they are attached to need to be dimpled (or countersunk) and flush rivets used. Did you read the directions? Step 2 says: Repeat Step 1 and 2 for all of the fairing attach nutplates.

The exact wording is "Match-Drill Dimple 3/32, AN426AD3-3.5, 2 places / K1000-06" and shows Two + signs and and an arrow pointing to One nut plate."

I haven't gotten to this point yet, but I think here the "2 places / K1000-06" means two places per each K1000-06. There is also a note in the same drawing "K1000-06, 12 PLACES". So there's a total of 24 places to drill/dimple.

It looks like the 12iS plans have been updated to avoid this confusion. There it states "Match-Drill, Dimple 3/32, AN426AD3-3.5, 24X" and "12X K1000-06".

I do not have access to the plans now. I will have to look at the plans again next time I go to the airport.

I don't know if you're aware, but for those who don't know, Van's have updated their store and you can now download the latest plans for your aircraft. Just log in, click on your name, and go to my aircraft.

OK. Got it. Thanks to everyone who replied. Now that I think of it, it makes sense that ALL of the rivets are flush rivets since the tail cone fits OVER the rivets. DUH!

Somehow the single arrow pointing to a singe nut plate confused me. OR I am easily confused.

Jeff

This is standard terminology on RV plans pages.

A page would look very messy and confusing is a lead line /arrow were placed to point at each detail (in this case a nut plate) being described.

So a lead line is placed to key you in to what nut plate, and the X2 is to describe how many nut plates come into play for that step.

I looked at another builder's elevator. He only put in the rivets pictured in the drawing without reading the text. I asked him why he didn't put all of the rivets in. He pointed to the drawing that only showed a few rivets. I pointed to the text. I explained to him that the plans do not show every rivet because that would make the drawing too cluttered. He was going to have to disassemble the elevator to install the missing rivets.

I looked at another builder's elevator. He only put in the rivets pictured in the drawing without reading the text. I asked him why he didn't put all of the rivets in. He pointed to the drawing that only showed a few rivets. I pointed to the text. I explained to him that the plans do not show every rivet because that would make the drawing too cluttered. He was going to have to disassemble the elevator to install the missing rivets.

That is what is known as a visual learner. They learn from diagrams or schematics. Some have poor comprehension of text.

Usually when nutplates are used, something gets mounted to the surface. So the the surface needs to be smooth with nothing protruding. So all nutplates and the skin they are attached to need to be dimpled (or countersunk) and flush rivets used. Did you read the directions? Step 2 says: Repeat Step 1 and 2 for all of the fairing attach nutplates.

Got it. It makes sense that the entire surface needs to be smooth.

You must have a different version of the instructions from what I have. The instructions for dimpling are in Step 4 in my plans.

Regards,
Jeff

Back