What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel filter question for RV14A

larrys

Well Known Member
For the first few hours on our RV14A we noticed the fuel drains leaking a little from debris in the tank.
My question is how and where would I monitor fuel filtering? I know there is a little one on the front of the pump in the center console but where else is a fuel filter?
Thanks, Larry

Only the builder will know if there is any other filter as that filter in the front of the pump is the only one if it is as standard build. Some folks put that filter in the root wing right outside of each tank but my experience has shown very little debris found in the fuel filter which I check for each annual.

Only the builder will know if there is any other filter as that filter in the front of the pump is the only one if it is as standard build. .

assuming this is an IO engine, there is also a fuel filter in the FI servo. Carbs typically have one as well, but not as fine. It is finer than the filter in the tunnel and therefore can capture small debris that passes the main filter. This should be checked every CI or any time debris is found or suspected. I would expect most of the construction debri in the tanks is big enough to be captured by the main filter, but you never know.

Larry

Last edited:
For the first few hours on our RV14A we noticed the fuel drains leaking a little from debris in the tank.
My question is how and where would I monitor fuel filtering? I know there is a little one on the front of the pump in the center console but where else is a fuel filter?
Thanks, Larry

If built per plans, the fuel filter should be inline with the fuel tanks selector valve and the electric boost pump. Considering you have observed trash in your fuel tank I recommend removing and inspecting this fuel filter, and the fuel filter on your throttle body (if you have one).

For the tank, you need to go get a cheap plastic inline filter, use a fitting to connect a nylon line, the filter and other nylon line to the fuel tank sump port. Drain the tank via this filter to 5 gallon gas cans. Fill the tank backup from the now filtered fuel in these tanks and repeat until you no longer get trash out of the tank.

For builders, do this a few months after tank construction with the tanks off the wing. Put 5-7 gallons in the tank at a time, slosh it around a little, drain via this filter and repeat as needed.

Carl

assuming this is an IO engine, there is also a fuel filter in the FI servo. Carbs typically have one as well, but not as fine. It is finer than the filter in the tunnel and therefore can capture small debris that passes the main filter. This should be checked every CI or any time debris is found or suspected. I would expect most of the construction debri in the tanks is big enough to be captured by the main filter, but you never know.

Larry

Absolutely, but my take on that filter is that they are inspected/cleaned only when problem show itself. I just had to do that after only two hours on the engine. My #4 was receiving about half of fuel as other three cylinders.

Absolutely, but my take on that filter is that they are inspected/cleaned only when problem show itself. I just had to do that after only two hours on the engine. My #4 was receiving about half of fuel as other three cylinders.

Professionally done inspections (whether it be on certificated or experimental) include inspection of the inlet filter on the fuel delivery device (F.I. servo, carb., etc), as often they are a finer filter than the primary one for the system, so they can contain particulates even when the main filter does not.

Professionally done inspections (whether it be on certificated or experimental) include inspection of the inlet filter on the fuel delivery device (F.I. servo, carb., etc), as often they are a finer filter than the primary one for the system, so they can contain particulates even when the main filter does not.

This is good to know Scott. I was under the impression that the inspection of the servo is only needed when problem is evident. Now that I have opened it and know the process, I will add it to my annual check list.

There is also a small screen filter in the Fi distribution spider. I found some strange soft goop in mine a while ago.

Back