What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New SB issued 6 May 2016 (SB16-03-28)

In my case, the contact was very slight, and I didn't want to make the hole any larger than necessary. And it turns out after adding the washers, the aileron end gaps were more even than before, so win/win.

In my case, the contact was very slight, and I didn't want to make the hole any larger than necessary. And it turns out after adding the washers, the aileron end gaps were more even than before, so win/win.

Agreed. I was more questioning a raft of posts that appeared to be reticent to just enlarge the hole a tad, and jumping through various hoops to avoid it...

I made all of my gaps the same, then checked clearances on pushrods (IIRC, didn't need to open those particular holes any, but even if you did...gotta do what ya gotta do to keep things from chafing. Better a larger hole than a pushrod being worn and weakened!).

Checked my RV7a with 300 plus hours and found no cracks. No aero and all paved runways.

Bob Cowan
N743RV
First flight 2009

RV6, 700 hours, frequent acro. Nothing unusual found.
I will note that my 6 is unique in that this area of the rear spar has a doubler. Somebody drilled the push rod hole on the wrong side! 😟
So, it is unlikely any of the 6's will have cracks and even more unlikely mine ever will.

RV-9A 1020 Hours - No Cracks

Rv-9a built in 2007 with 1020 hours. Inspection photos revealed excellent workmanship by original builder and no cracks.

RV-8, 152.2 hours, no cracks - I used Robin Mark's suggestion and got the borescope from Amazon - worked great.

I noticed some of the paint rash that others have on their aileron pushrods. But when I moved the ailerons from stop to stop there was lots of clearance.

Maybe it's a common construction happenstance.

RV-8, 152.2 hours, no cracks - I used Robin Mark's suggestion and got the borescope from Amazon - worked great.

I noticed some of the paint rash that others have on their aileron pushrods. But when I moved the ailerons from stop to stop there was lots of clearance.

Maybe it's a common construction happenstance.

Did you move them from stop to stop with the stick all the way forward and with the stick all the way back? On the side-by-sides, the aileron pushrod moves fore/aft slightly with the stick; not sure on the tandems.

Scratch that (not literally) - I'm thinking of the pushrods going out to the bellcrank, not the bellcrack-aileron one. I've seen lots of the former and not really any of the later with chafing marks.

How about if some brave soul summarizes all this and posts *in*a*different*thread* so we can see who had cracks and how? Ain't no point in wading through 27 pages of "not me."

Thanks Rob and Scott. I was able to get out to the hangar yesterday evening. I checked the drawings against the plane and the washers were installed different from the drawings. I think this happened after I had the plane painted ~2010. After picking it up in AZ we also had to loosen the elevator bolts slightly so it could very easily move before flying back to the east coast. I think they put the washers in incorrectly in particular on the left aileron. I corrected that yesterday. Problem is I didn't gain any more clearance. I'm not sure if the brackets were bent a little when they snugged the bolts down. Is it ok to bend the inboard aileron attachment u-bracket's sides slightly toward the fuse to gain a little more clearance? I can only hear and see the rod rub at the extreme down aileron position while moving the aileron myself at the aileron. Other than enlarging the spar hole I don't see a way to gain anymore clearance as the inboard side of the aforementioned u-bracket has no washer between the rod bearing and bracket's inboard-most side. I also plan to call Vans Monday to discuss it.

Here are links to pix of the rubbed rod and bracket. They can be downloaded for a closer view if desired. The A&Ps put the white looking grease on most control surface hardware connections about two years ago. The brown stuff is residue from a mud bug nest a while back - I need to wash that off of it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5khQo5AKuPZWmw2SlNfbVlVOFk

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5khQo5AKuPZVy03RVpkeVh0T00

Thanks,
Tim

Recommended Rivet Placement for Bracket

Looks like rivets that attach the Aileron Bracket can be placed with the factory head inside or outside. Mine have the factory head facing the inside of the wing, where some of the photos have the factory head on the outside of the wing. Which is correct? Which would provide more structural support to prevent these cracks? I purchased this plane from the builders and this is the first time I have inspected this location. It looks to me that this location as well as the rest of the plane, exhibits excellent workmanship. Unless, of course these rivets were positioned incorrectly.

RV-9a with 1020 hrs and obviously no cracks.

IPhone Photos:
AileronRT1.jpg

AileronL.jpg

Last edited:
Rivet orientation

Factory head on the thinner material side. Yours is correct.
I wonder if the cracks are a result of rivets installed backwards or just a coincidence.

Rivet orientation

Factory head o the thinner material side. Yours is correct.
I wonder if the cracks are a result of rivets installed backwards or just a coincidence.

Factory head against the thinner material is a good practice but once you get up to heavier material thicknesses it doesn't really matter much. It doesn't in this case, and likely has no effect on the likelihood of cracks occurring.

I talked to Vans and I'm going to use a dremel tool and then smooth the edges off with sand paper to gain the slight clearance I need in the spar hole. Should be good to fly tomorrow.

SB16-03-28 Process

What I DIDN'T see in the SB was an inspection method for the 6/6A. I removed one aileron and attempted to view the forward side of the rear spar with an inspection mirror. That didn't work due to the rib that is right there. I built my wings about 12 years ago, so please forgive me for not remembering what they look like inside!

I tried reaching in through the bottom inspection holes and taking pictures in the blind with my cell phone. This worked! I didn't have to go to Harbor Freight Aviation Supply and buy a borescope.

It might be nice if Van's included the how-to-do-it along with the what-to-do.

Jim Bower
RV-6A N143DJ
Flying since 2011

Apple Watch

No Cracks, 430 hours plenty of aerobatics.

Apple watch let me monitor cell phone camera position then snap the picture, very cool, now if only the cell phone camera would fit in a spark plug hole!

Cheers

Apple watch let me monitor cell phone camera position then snap the picture, very cool, now if only the cell phone camera would fit in a spark plug hole!

Cheers

It will; you just can't get the phone in there with it....

Cheers
Actually it would if this would be made available for iphones.

420 hours, some aerobatics... No cracks. Thx for the great idea using the smart phone camera, worked awesome!!

Has anyone seen "smoking rivets" in the area where the cracks the subject of the S B are on the rear spar? This has been reported on a local RV9A but I have not seen any mention of it in the inspection reports on the Forum.
Thanks, Brian.

RV6, 730 hours, some aeros, no cracks.

So...

I ordered the parts for my "in progress" wings to incorporate it now.

Build Log Entry

I am a little torn on how one would accomplish this now and not interfering with riveting the bottom skin and perhaps the inboard most aileron gap fairing rivet in the center of the spar.

I believe one could simply use pulled rivets here...but if someone could help met get the "order of operations" figured out before I get there...I'd be grateful.

RV-9A No cracks found

No cracks found - 200 airframe hours. Built 2009, rebuilt 2014 after flip over.

RV-9A so no aerobatics.
C-GOHM

Ian Brown

RV-6A. 1796 hrs
Built 2001
Grass since 2008, very little aerobatics since 2008
SB complied with, no cracks found.

But I have a lot of rivet rash on my arms trying to get the iPhone in to get a decent photo!

Finally inspected mine. Cracks in both wings. More obvious in the right than the left, on which it's extremely subtle. I heard somebody mention a "scratch" but that sounds like possible denial. I want to deny mine, trust me...

Finally inspected mine. Cracks in both wings. More obvious in the right than the left, on which it's extremely subtle. I heard somebody mention a "scratch" but that sounds like possible denial. I want to deny mine, trust me...

Any photos?

Carl

(sorry if this has already been mentioned, didn't want to go through the 30 pages of replies to look for it)

I received my quickbuild wings recently and was happy to find that this SB had already been complied with by Van's:

IMG_20160707_000302.jpg

(on the downside, deburring and riveting that one hole just above the bracket will be annoying)

Last edited:
Back