What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best way to cut/trim fiberglass fairings?

wolfcj1

I'm New Here
Replacing cracked main wheel fairings on RV-12 with fairings from Vans. KAI says to trim fairings to scribe line to widen wheel opening with "sheers". The material to is too thick for me to cut with hand sheers. Would appreciate recommendations on how to best cut through/trim this material.

In addition to abrasive cut-off wheels, Dremel also makes small diamond wheels. We find those work best for trimming composite in our shop. With either type, go slow so you don't burn the resin. Start with a shallow cut, then finish with a full depth cut.

Dremel works. Perma Grit disc is the best, but for your one off use any of the dremel discs.

Or my prefered method is using a vibrating multi tool, cuts like butter and I find easier to control than the rotating disc.

Dremel works. Perma Grit disc is the best, but for your one off use any of the dremel discs.

Or my prefered method is using a vibrating multi tool, cuts like butter and I find easier to control than the rotating disc.

Sounds like a great idea.....have to steal this idea!! SMILE

+1 on the oscillating multi-tool, its the first tool I reach for when trimming composite materials. The circular blade seem to work best for me from a cut control standpoint.

John Salak
RV12 N896HS

+1 on the oscillating multi-tool, its the first tool I reach for when trimming composite materials. The circular blade seem to work best for me from a cut control standpoint.

John Salak
RV12 N896HS

Also, the oscillating tool makes WAY WAY less dust and mess. #1 tool for cutting fiberglass in my book.

No a fan of the permanent-grit disks; they seem to be unbalanced when I spin them. Dremel has a series of fast change reinforced disk that work well. The smaller, all ceramic disks work but are quite fragile.

Use black electrical tape to mark your cut line. It stretches and conforms to odd shapes but gives a good line to follow.

Hacksaw blade

I like the control I get with a hacksaw blade held in gloved hands. Not a lot of dust as with a Dremel or other power tools and excellent control, so no mistakes. You can cut a couple of layers of glass with ease and follow the cut line, go at a cut speed that provides the least risk of cutting an area you didn't want cut. Use some coarse sand paper to finish off the edge.

+1 for Dremel diamond and oscillating blade.

The little diamond blade cuts like a scalpel, narrow kerf and small diameter allows relatively small radius cuts. Just FYI, all the Orthopedic fiberglass casts removed everyday are cut off with the oscillating blade to avoid cutting the patient, yet they devour fiberglass and resin like butter.

Back