What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To quote the MasterCard commercial …

Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Building an RV12 in 11 months and flying it will definitely put a RV grin on your face, but it got better when my older son visited his dad and got a flight. His first question was can we fly somewhere.

He had a little influence on it since he and his wife designed the paint scheme. He had not seen the plane except for photos since it was together and painted. He lives in TX and I am in PA so we don?t see each other as much as I would like.

PIREP for today's flight could not have been better calm winds, 72 degrees, and unbelievable visibility. We flew for a while then ended up for breakfast at S37 Smoketown.

He had a great time, but I had more fun sharing the flight and RV experience with him. I am sure most of the guys on the forum have a very similar experience with someone in your family. :)

sdv 051013-9.jpg

sdv 051013-4.jpg

sdv 051013-5.jpg

sdv 051013-6.jpg

sdv 051013-11.jpg

It did cost him with a wash and wax once he got back. LOL

sdv 051013-10.jpg

PRICELESS! :D

Building an RV12 in 11 months and flying it will definitely put a RV grin on your face, but it got better he and his wife designed the paint scheme. He lives in TX and I am in PA so we don?t see each other as much as I would like.
He had a great time, but I had more fun sharing the flight and RV experience with him. I am sure most of the guys on the forum have a very similar experience with someone in your family. :)

sdv 051013-5.jpg

Very smart panel addition. This Winter slip indicator should be standard equipment in all aircraft with screens, and placed in this location.

sdv 051013-10.jpg

PRICELESS! :D

Great paint pattern and colors....... One of the best so far.

I remember him doing sketches in your hangar. Was it an RV1 event?

Vlad you are correct and he remembered you, but who wouldn't. He was creating a few artist renditions of the paint job.

Last edited:
Glad you're using that thing!

You sir, are one of my heroes. Having met both you and your son during the RV-1 meetup, when the -12 was almost done, and knowing how many projects stay at the "90% done and 90% to go" stage, I'm loving the fact that you had the guts and the determination to see it through.

It's been so cool to see your and your son's design ideas come to life since that day (via VAF only, sadly, since I don't get away from the harness that often), and I hope you keep flying the heck out of your plane!

That single event, by the way, was so inspirational on so many levels. Watching the RV-1 come back to life through the efforts of so many at VAF, then getting to see it in person, and then getting to meet you and the cousins (two more RV heroes in my book!) and so many other RV builders and owners was just pure sensory overload.

Thanks for sharing your dream with all of us, and to Doug for having such a great forum to bring us all together.

David Kilmer
Wannabe/Havetabe/Gottabe an RV Pilot

David - thanks for the comments.

You need to raise the bar just a little in the hero category, but thanks again. Re: "the cousins" - Tony and Vlad not much needs to be said :D

I'll call you and we will go fly if you can break away from the harness - LOL

Last edited:
Dave, I am sure you can imagine my surprise when I booted up this morning and found your smiling mug on the front page. But seriously, a very good post! As you now know, It does not get better than this. Congratulations pal! You have one more to go!

Back