What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back From Paint!

Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
When I ordered my kit at Oshkosh last year and created a project plan in late September 2011, the thought of paint seemed like it was a long way out. I contacted Jim Russell Aircraft to schedule a time in May. He asked how far along are you? I said ?just started on the empennage?, there was a brief silence on the phone. He was kind enough to book the slot ahead of time anyway. We keep in touch over the 5 months as to the progress of my build. I was still in sync with the project timeline as of Nov, Jan, and April and it was going to be close but could make the scheduled paint date. We talked 30 days before and he got a few weeks behind due to some other planes he needed some minor work. So the time did move out a 2 weeks. To be honest I didn?t mine the extra two weeks.

From my other posts I mentioned my Son Stephen and future daughter-law are artists and Sadie works in advertising. They designed the scheme together with my input. She created the rendition that Jim worked off of listed below. This has been a fun process and came out just as I had envisioned.

I arrived a Jim?s late yesterday started loading and securing the plane for the trip back to KPTW. Two and a half hours later N25DV was back home in her hanger. Pulled the trailer in the hanger for the night and will unload tonight after work.

Jim did a great job for a very fair price. I did shop many of the areas painters and I just lucked out with Jim!

Now back to work finishing avionics in the next week, finishing the final touches on the Rotax and firing her up and the DAR?s visit very soon. Hope to be flying late July or the week after Oshkosh!
062012outline.jpg
062012RV12 Airplane v2.jpg

Sadie's graphic design and then she layed the graphics on top of a photo of a rv12. I dont remember the original color of this plane off the web. (Thanks to the owner and pilot for the thumbs up in my planes graphics)
062012IMG_1941-0012.JPG

062012IMG_1942-0013.JPG

062012IMG_1944-0015.JPG

062012IMG_1948-0019.JPG

062012IMG_1946-0017.JPG

Heading back to the hanger - 3 hour drive
062012IMG_1954-0025.JPG

Home safe and in the hanger with no scratches or incidents from the trip
062012IMG_1951-0022.JPG

062012IMG_1952-0023.JPG

Thanks Stephen, Sadie for the design and Jim (Jim Russell aircraft) for making it a reality!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks very nice, good luck with getting it finished and airborne.

It's even better then you envisioned David. I confess I was the biggest sceptic of your deadlines and I admit my defeat. It turned very well and on your terms. Congratulations!

I was just thinking about this yesterday...

..."wonder what happened with Dave's Rv-12 paint job?" And here it is! Looks really awesome. Will look even better in the air! Congrats Dave!

Looks good Dave, if you will be around, I might have to stop in and check it out up close this w/e. Jim's prices rule!

Thanks guys for the comments.

Dave stop by and visit, I guess I will sound like a bad lounge act - "I am here Mon - Fri evenings and all day Sat & Sun"

Vlad that is an invite for you also! There could be food involved (LOL)

Thanks guys for the comments.

Dave stop by and visit, I guess I will sound like a bad lounge act - "I am here Mon - Fri evenings and all day Sat & Sun"

Vlad that is an invite for you also! There could be food involved (LOL)

You mention Food? Limerick Diner? I'm there!

Paint

Congratulations Dave. Paint job looks A+. Hope you can meet your schedule. Make sure everyone knows the trailer is For Sale.

A little help from my friends!

Last night the EAA chapter had a meeting at Heritage Field so I made a motion that they guys all help unload the freshly painted 12 after the meeting. Below a few photos of the EAA1250 guys helping.
062112IMG_1955-0001.JPG

062112IMG_1956-0002.JPG

062112IMG_1959-0005.JPG

062112IMG_1960-0006.JPG

062112IMG_1962-0008.JPG

062112IMG_1966-0011.JPG

062112IMG_1967-0012.JPG

Back