What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

anticipating vs having

prkaye

Well Known Member
Over the years I've read so many reports from folks who have finished and flown their RVs about how much they LOVE their RV, how they have a permanent grin when they fly it, and so forth.
My experience has been different actually, and I wonder if I'm the only one. Sure, I'm glad to be flying, and have no serious complaints about the aircraft. But i have to say I actually feel a little deflated. The first flight was very focussing, and while I did get a sensation of "holy ***, it's flying" shortly after lift-off, I quickly became so sidetracked by high CHTs that I didn't land with a big grin. For the next few hours I was focussed on the temps and trying to figure out whether she was performing as well as she should (I was a little concerned that I wasn't able to match Vans' performance numbers, and to get the speeds others reported I seemed to need higher fuel flow than others report), and so that also kept me from grinning. After a few hours I started to get comfortable that the engine would keep running and so I started to settle-in and enjoy flying it. Around the same time I stopped worrying about performance, and the temps were coming down.
The next 15-20 hours of test flying started to get a little tedious though. I mean one can only grin for so long flying the same route within the 25nm box, with no passengers, over and over again. I finally got my restrictions waived a couple of weeks ago, and this weekend made a flight to Kingston (approx 50nm) to take my uncle for a ride. He's a big of a big guy at about 200lbs, and with us both wearing bulky winter coats, I was a bit disappointed at how snug it was in there, and how akward it was getting us strapped in. The flight was enjoyable, and he kept saying "verry cool". But after dropping him off and flying home, I got to thinking that I'm going to need to find some ways to keep things interesting, or I'll risk getting bored! My plane is a -9A, so aerobatics isn't the answer for me. I am looking forward to being able to fly back to my hometown (Waterloo ON) in about 1.5 hours (vs the 6+ hours to drive), and that will be one of the main trips I do a lot. However this fall has not been very encouraging because the weather has been brutal. To fly to Waterloo, I need a day with good weather right across the province. This fall there have been very few days like that. This week on wed and thurs it's sunny from Ottawa to Toronto, but forecast cloudy and snow west of Toronto towards Waterloo. Frustrating!
Also, my radio has been acting-up, and I'm not sure if my oil consumption is higher than it should be, and this makes me feel like the plane may be one maintenance headache and worry after another.
I was expressing some of my feeling of deflation to my uncle after our flight, and he said "well, anticipating is always better than having". So true!
I don't want to sound like a downer (I apologise if this comes across this way)... I do really like the -9A, but I wonder, have any of you gone through a similar phase after finishing your plane - wondering whether the reality of owning it will really measure up the expectations and all the hype?

Last edited:
Dang Phil - it sounds like you are suffering some type of postpartum depression. Some women suffer from it after having a baby. Its just your baby happens to be an airplane.

hey buddy... maybe you just think to much.

(that's also an issue that normally applies for woman :D )

I've seen a couple guys get depressed after achieving something they'd worked hard on for years. But actually it's just the lack of something as engrossing as their previous efforts. Nothing's popped up to replace the missing part.

Dave

Some things about owning a small Experimental GA airplane:
  • You are never done working on them.
  • You have to fly the poo out of em to make it worth having.
  • Airplanes are never fast enough, big enough or efficient enough.
  • Some people are good airplane builders and not good airplane owners and vice versa.
  • Equipment almost never lives up to the marketing hype.
  • Some people are naturally critical about everything and or worry about everything and this gets in the way of the fun but some people consider that fun.
I am one of those people that cannot ever stop planning upgrades. I am already planning a replacement panel and my plane is not even a year old yet. Will I replace it anytime soon? Most likely not but hey that planning process is fun for me.

I think you will find what makes you happy about owning such a fun airplane in time.

Depressing...

We are all pushing hard to the finish line chasing the holy grail and we hear this :confused:

I think Phil needs to find a crisp sunny day, and burn some serious avgas. Come to Windsor for lunch. I will even buy! Better yet fly way south for a long weekend stateside with warmer temps. If that doesnt work, close up the hangar and find something fun to do for a couple months till the snow blows over. (beer, ice skates?) Some spring sunshine and a shiny new plane with blue skies should fix you up.

Suck it up, you are living the dream and apparently dont know it. :D Some of my favourite flights were on winter days in a buddies rv low and fast over the ice with the skidoos, ice fishermen etc all waving. Plane performs great, heaters on and it was the best.

If none of that works...go pay $175 to rent a crappy beat up and slow spam can from your local club and see if that doesnt give you a smile the next time you climb in YOUR rv.

We are all pushing hard to the finish line chasing the holy grail and we hear this

Sorry about that... I did hesitate a long while before saying anything on this forum about this, but I finally decided there must be some others who have gone through this.

I think the onset of winter is a big part of it. Just as I got my restrictions waived and could really have fun, the weather has gotten cold and there's been very little sun. Also my hangar is not heated, and i have to drive 40 min and then plug the airplane in for a while to heat it before I can go up. So after all the anticipation, I now have to wait about 3 months before I can really enjoy it... Canadian winter sucks!!

But yeah, you're right... next spring should be a blast. I should spend some time now putting together a list of places to fly to next year... that'll provide some more of that "anticipating" that is so much fun.

You'll have other moments...

The sun shining just right through the clouds, a challenging landing on a gusty day, or just cruising going nowhere in the blue bird smooth, ... you will just feel good and smile.
There are a lot of "RV Grin" moments yet to come....

Phil,
Sounds like you may be expecting too much too soon.
You don't say if you have a "new" engine. If so, that will account for the high CHTs. They will be high initially on a new or freshly overhauled engine.
It's not like picking up a new airplane at the factory. You will have some tweaking to do.
Sorry you were given a 25 mile radius. You should have been given more. In the US, we have a little flexibility on assigning flight test areas. I typically give a 75 mile radius for the speeds of an RV. Is the 25 miles "fixed" in Canada?
Be patient. Things will come together.

Last edited:
Sorry you were given a 25 mile radius. You should have been given more.
That's canadian regulations for the first 25 hours in an amateur-built. Actually this past saturday was the first time I ever landed my -9A at an airport other than my home base.

That's canadian regulations for the first 25 hours in an amateur-built. Actually this past saturday was the first time I ever landed my -9A at an airport other than my home base.

Man, Sorry to hear that. Must be really frustrating to a guy with a Glasair III or Lancair IV.

Phil, you are not alone. And yes, winter sucks.

I have about 130 hours on Smokey now, and, like you, are getting quite comfortable and worrying far less about when the engine is simply going to stop running when I fly.

However, I've often noted the boredom that hits when taking a trip somewhere more than an hour away. I level off at cruise altitude, trim it out and set the AP. Then sit back, listen to XM radio and ... and ... get bored.

After 13 years of building and living with the nagging thought, "Why am I doing this? I haven't been flying and don't really miss it ...", I've been in your doldrums.

However, one thing that I have planned that won't help you any is that I intend to take some more aerobatic training as soon as the economy picks up. Most of my flights are just local enjoyment flights anyway, so why not enjoy them to the max, right?

When spring comes and you can fly more often and explore more, I'll bet you'll find your comfort zone and begin to enjoy your plane within its limits.

As for maintenance, like Brian said, it's an ongoing thing. I actually enjoy planning changes I want to make, and I don't have to pay a mechanic to do the experimentation I want to do! Like the ejection seat I'm working on ... :D

Hang in there, bud.

Some have said that flying is "hours of boredom punctuated with moments of stark terror".
I have 2500+ hours of military flying which included long hours of high altitude cruise as well as formation acrobatics, I've concluded that I like formation and acrobatics better than cruise. :) You may not be able to do acro in a -9, but if you get some training I think you might find your flying is much more stimulating with some formation buddies.

(And stay on your toes, those "moments" are coming too...)

It's really common to have a big let down after long preparation for a big milestone event. In my line of work, practicing for a big concert or audition can take months, if not years. There is almost always a big let down, especially when it's an adrenaline-producing event. Bear in mind, that the adrenaline is not only going in a big shot at the event, it goes in smaller shots every time you THINK about the event in advance, so there is going to be some withdrawl for a long period.

I also had/have similar experiences with the focus on testing/trusting the airplane. I have made a point of really trying to split my brain between focusing and enjoying.

As far as flying/testing in the winter, a Lancair friend of mine who also did his first flight and testing in the winter warned me that the first hot day, you think the airplane is broken!

As a complete aside, I grew up in Waterloo! I know there is an RV6 builder from there who did some notable high altitude testing (Terry Jansen?) but for a town that small it's pretty cool to now know of 3 folks who built RVs from there! Must be the air (pollution):D

Jeremy Constant
RV7A down for first annual

... a Lancair friend of mine who also did his first flight and testing in the winter warned me that the first hot day, you think the airplane is broken! ...

How true! I flew off my Phase I hours over last winter's clear, cold days. I was able to keep my hangar warmed a bit (40*), so it wasn't as bad as Phil's dilemma. However, I'd SWEAR that Smokey was off the ground in less than 200' on those cold days with half fuel! Loved those days. And did indeed what was wrong with my plane when summer came and I would take a passenger along and used what seemed like half the runway to get off the ground ...

Too funny. :D

Reminds me of the earth to the moon miniseries. One show covers apollo 12 crew. They wwere the second crew to land on the moon. After they were back in the command module on the way home, al bean looks at pete conrad and asks "is that all there is?"

Each installation and build can be different with various results. There are two other RVs in my airport that we started flying close to the same time, but there has been more tweaking required on their plane then mine nevertheless we all enjoy it very much. I just hit my 300 hour marker yesterday and its been 20 months since the first flight. It has been nothing but fun these last 300 hours. In fact the more I fly it the more I want to go flying and part of it has been that I have been taking more lessons and expanding my horizon on flying and that opens the door a fair amount to enjoying it.

Hi Phil,

The reality is that some of us love flying and some of us don?t. I love flying weather it?s in a Cessna 150 or my RV-4, I love flying just for the sake of flying, I?m addicted, I also relate owning my own airplane to the maximum in freedom, I decide when and where I go and answer to only myself, no mother may I rent your airplane and fly X place etc. Most of my flying is local and solo; I fly the same places all the time and never get enough, about 1100 hours in the past 5 years. I see that ?Turbo? has 3800 hours on his RV in the last 10 years; I?d say he is an addict also! I also like the occasional cross country to AZ or CA with the wife, and no auto pilot for me, I want to fly the airplane all the way!

As to maintenance,,, I did not build, I bought an old -4 from a good friend, it was old and neglected and seldom flown, in the first two years I seemed to repair or replace everything that could go wrong but since then (knock on wood) about all it needs is gas and oil.

Give it a couple years, if it just ends up sitting maybe it?s not your passion or maybe you will get hooked, no shame either way.

It's all in my head

Phil,
some good advice here, but I think just as there are some folks who like building better than flying, or jogging over sex ( endorphins?) there are some personality types that are simply going to have less 'fun' per gallon than others. ( Me & you!)
Cruise..... boring?.....I can hardly unclench my cheeks while looking for emergency landing spots, ( when there aren't any!)
Is the weather ever CAVU on a weekend? My longest trip has been :40 for that and other reasons. ( now I know why guys get their IFR ticket).
I look aroung the cabin.....why didn't they make it 2" wider? ( and 2 knots slower, who cares?)
...how the heck am I going to get out if I hit something on rollout and turtle this thing? ( better install that reverse ejection seat eh?)

Give yourself some time to reach your comfort level. Every plane, ( heck, everything in life really) is a compromise, and if you can't reach a comfort zone with your plane, and can identify the issues, you may have an RV10 in your future?? :)

I've been down the road of disappointment after a lot of anticipation many times, though it was usually for a motorcycle or hot rod that I spent a year or more building. Eventually I realized that after that first moment when they come out of the shop all new and shiny, it's all down hill from there. Dirt, minor dents, this and that. Things wear out.

I guess that my emotional response is to just not get so spun up in the anticipation part. Building and modifying vehicles (and houses or whatever a person is into) should provide it's own satisfaction. I enjoy the build process.

This reminds me of a co-worker who used to road race motorcycles. When he bought a new bike the first thing he did was whack it in the gas tank with a ball peen hammer. He told me that's so that he won't feel so bad about the inevitable damage that the bike will experience in it's racing career.

Hey Phil...I've had similar thoughts, but they always come to me when I can't fly for a week or so due to weather or schedules. Once I fly, the maintenance and other items that come with airplane ownership fade in to the background.

Pick up another project...not necessarily an airplane. That's exactly what I did a couple years ago. I bought a project car, stashed it in my hangar for two years, and never thought about it until the airplane was finished. Now that it's flying, I brought the car home...it's going to fulfill my builder's void that I feel now. A project in the garage of some sort can help keep the builder in you stimulated, and may allow the "doldrums" of owning and operating an airplane to become more of something to look forward too. When you're stuck on something on the new project, go work on some airplane maintenance!

Just a thought...:)

Seasonal Affective Disorder?

Phil,

I don't want to get all "Doctor Phil" on ya, but some folks just don't function well during winter, myself included. I say you should let it go until the weather improves.

Also, have you ever thought about pursuing an aviation record? Apparently there are a few that are not that hotly contested. For example, I met a guy several years back who set the record for flying coast to coast in single engine. I think it was in a Katana or something similar.

Finally, as a fellow new father (and math nerd) wouldn't you agree that the kid is actually more fun than anticipated?

Your focus and interests will change, IMHO.

I first flew my RV-6 in September of 2002. For about a year I flew it unpainted and was pretty much focused entirely on getting it up and down in one piece. And then I discovered acrobatics…

So for a couple of years I would go out on a nice sunny day and get it upside down. Loops, rolls, wing overs…the whole thang. Spin it around until I felt sick. And that was pretty good for a year or so… and then I discovered formation flying.

I was past the part where I was worried about getting it up and down safely. Totally engrossed in holding position in turns and pitch out and rejoins. Made me feel pretty kick @ss for a couple of years. I still fly formation every now and then, but I don't think about it nonstop day and night like I did. And then I discovered a major panel upgrade…

That kept me busy for a couple of years, and I'm still getting comfortable with all the new buttons and knobs.

And then I discovered IFR flying, and am deep into that rating.

I’m enjoying the changes, both in the airplane and in what I’m drawn towards.

What I thought plane ownership would be like and what it has turned out to be like are 100% different - and I'm OK with it. Turns out its held my interest...

Last edited:
Phil,

Like you I have a 9A and I did not really 'bond' with it and appreciate what a neat design the 9 is until I used it in the environment where it shines - a good long trip away from home.
The first big trip I did was to Lake Eyre and the Flinders Ranges in central Australia. The first leg was three hours at 8,500 ft, covered a vast distance at a good speed and I certainly had the RV grin when I only needed 75 ltr (19.7 US gal) to top off the tanks.
I recall thinking to myself on the last leg, after I had just climbed effortlessly with a full load from 700 ft to 9,500 ft, this is one neat aircraft and I built it. :cool:

Fin
9A

Last edited:
Changes

Phil,

Things change and they stay the same. I was delivering sailboats from the British Virgin Islands / eastern Carribbean in the early / mid 1980s. In between deliveries I earned my private licence in a Cessna 172 I bought before I even soloed.
The day after I receved my 'ticket' I headed for Florida from Texas to pick up another boat. I flew comerical from Florida to the BVI. On my return to Florida I flew the Cessna back to Fort Worth, I was stuck in the fog in Alabama for two days. I Knew I needed a faster airplane and an IFR ticket. Got a Bonanza, and IFR the next year.
Flying to OSH most years in that Bonanza from St Martin, I saw the RVs, I knew I wanted one, except I lived on a boat. No place to build.
Years later I moved to back to Texas and started my RV6. Did not need a ride,,, I KNEW that would be the plane for me.
Looking through my log books I see 4162 hours TT comerical ratings, IFR, Multi engine, that is an average of 160 hours a year since 1984. Lots of different flying activities, several different types of airplanes, and MANY friends I would never know with out a plane, I even know Doug Reeves!!!
Stick with it, move to a warmer place if you can. Aviation is a neet place to be.

Last edited:
... I even know Doug Reeves!!!

Jay, that alone is worth the price of admission. If I had realized that I could have accomplished that without finishing the plane, Smokey would probably still be in pieces in the shop! :D

Jay, that alone is worth the price of admission. If I had realized that I could have accomplished that without finishing the plane, Smokey would probably still be in pieces in the shop! :D

Do I smell a funny VAF T-shirt? "I met Doug Reeves.... and all I got was this lousy airplane!"

[ed. Oh I hope not! dr]:D

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not an unusual, especially at this time of year when you may not fly again for months. There is a huge emotion tied up in getting a plane ready for flight and then moving on to getting those hours flown off.
Get a flying buddy that is available to fly places for lunch when the weather is nice. Make a to do list for your plane, a reason to go to the airport. And finally, the only real solution is to start another plane. If you do not have the resources to do that then contact someone who is early in their build process and offer to help them. Take their rudder parts home and work on that. You will really enjoy doing those parts the second time, the pressure is off, and you can really enjoy the process.
I am working on my 10th project and it never gets stale

I think the onset of winter is a big part of it. Just as I got my restrictions waived and could really have fun, the weather has gotten cold and there's been very little sun. Also my hangar is not heated, and i have to drive 40 min and then plug the airplane in for a while to heat it before I can go up. So after all the anticipation, I now have to wait about 3 months before I can really enjoy it... Canadian winter sucks!!

I dunno Phil, I just flew almost 20 hours out of the same airport as you over the last 8 weeks, weather has been ok. I freeze my you know whats off in the Cuby when it's cold and I only cruise at 90 mph but I have a darn big grin on my face every minute. As KayS says ? maybe you worry too much?. Just get out there and fly, take your wheel pants off and enjoy the great Canadian winter, it?s some of the best flying there is. Do you realize how many people would love to own their own airplane with their own hanger. You can always sell the 9 and the hanger and rent the club 172?s. The maintenance is done for you and they are always plugged in and ready to go.

Lots of Different Personality Types Lurking in these Forums

Hi Phil:
Looking thru all the responses so far, the motivation to do what we do varies pretty widely. The tech rep who oversaw my project had built 8 or 9 airplanes, but was what I would term a "low time" pilot. In my case, no interest in building another plane - the flying part is more important to me. What I've really learned over time is that the social part is what drives me: I gave up motorcycles when my riding buddies drifted off. Gave up sailing/racing when I moved 20 miles away from water and too far to easily enjoy the boat club. Pretty much same with golf. With airplanes no longer a part of work, I go to the airport every weekend to have breakfast with my friends, work on planes, and fly when the mood strikes me (fairly often, actually). While I live 15 miles from KPTK, I've make winter flying easier by hooking up a wireless router in the hangar and can use any computer to switch on and off my sump heater and cabin space heater. Next summer, my hope is to build a small heated/AC modular office in the hangar and use the router to turn on/off appliances there as well. Also important for me is that my wife likes to "take trips". Fifty miles for lunch or 500 miles for a weekend. Doesn't matter.
Looking at your profile, I see you've made a substantial number of posts in a relatively short time. I'd say you're pretty social as well. Jump all the way in, the water's fine! You can take a look at a post I made last year.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=51561&highlight=whoda+thunk
I think you'll discover if you just reach out a little, you'll find yourself surrounded by lots of interesting characters.
BTW, if you can get up the courage to deal with US customs and EAPIS, plan a trip some weekend into KPTK. Glad to have you.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

Your anticipation was not based on reality

Now that you are over the emotional let down from realizing that your airplane doesn't satisfy your needs, how do you feel? It is just an airplane that fits into the aviation parameter matrix where it fits - it didn't change. I think you knew this would be a controversial post but felt an obligation to report the truth as you experienced it. I for one think you did well and any other builders with completely unrealistic expectations may be shocked back to reality by your report. I suspect a ride in the RV of choice before buying might help builders calibrate their anticipation.

Bob Axsom

It's been 4 days since the last flight and I am about ready to blast off but this 12F weather is ridiculous. The airplane doesn't mind but my body does. Seems like a chill down lowers resistance and a cold virus takes over for a time.

I have never been bored flying. It is a marvel every time and it doesn't matter what the airplane. It just so happens the RV is a very well designed total performance beast so the experience is always most rewarding.

Some days I just look for other airplanes or birds, like on a combat patrol flying a pattern where it would be unlikely to get jumped from behind. Somedays I try to keep the machine glued to 2500' +/- zero. It usually is +/- 20' depending on turbulence. Wing overs and mild aerobatics is on the agenda at times. There's always something to do. And if nothing else, it is pattern work trying to get the perfect squeeker landing every time. The wind and turbulence near the ground make that a life long challenge. I seldom get it just right due to those unknowns.

No doubt we all have a different reason and point of view on this subject. It is a matter of perspective on life. I just love to break ground and leave the planet for a time. Flight for me began at about age 4 when with arms out stretched, I rolled and looped running through the local woods. When I worked for a living, I would sometimes fly with someone who agreed, we could not believe we were being paid to do this.

Now I wonder how long it will continue. My AME is concerned about blood pressure. I wonder about medical standards that insist a person over 70 be subjected to the same standards as a 20 year old. Not long ago, age plus 100 was considered normal, not any more. All I hear is take this pill or that one. The best pill is a treadmill, it gets the average down to 130/85 but 120/80? That's not possible unless one gets completely re-plumbed. No one over 70 has 20 year old arteries.

Enough again. I love to fly and will continue to do so for as long as I can. But probably not today in this cold weather, I'm not that nuts about it. :)

Phil, there is a lot of hype before getting into this endeavor and the expectations run amuck. The hype isn't quite real for anyone, but the basic joy of flying never changes. Maybe if you looked at the situation from the long range perspective of what attracted you to aviation in the first place, the let down may diminish. Your RV will always be source of satisfaction. You build it, you flew it. No one can take that away, it is a noteworthy accomplishment.

Last edited:
Bummer, Phil. Use this winter to work the kinks out of it. Tackle those demons with the zest you did the rest of the project.
Grab a map and calendar and plan your spring/summer flying. You've got a unique paint job...Go share it with everyone, be proud, you did good.

I'm still at the can't stop grinning phase, even though N155Bk and I have some issues to work out.

Another note.. when your child is 3 or 4 and starts talking back.. you will cherish those few hours on Sunday when you make it out to airport, to YOUR airplane in YOUR own hanger, with it just sitting there just like you left it waiting for the total freedom experienced by flight.

Become a repeat offender!

Phil,
I know exactly how you feel! I started building my first RV4 in 1983, 1 year after I was married. Finally finished it 7 years later, about the same time my son arrived. A toddler seemed more fun at the time so I sold the plane. I missed building so much that I started a 2nd RV4 and finished it in less than 2 years. My partner crashed it and I stayed away from the RV world for a couple of years. Couldn't stay away though and started an RV6A. About 6 years later it was done along with a new house I general contracted, then a "spec house" I built next door, oh yeah the Cub Scout meetings every Sunday at my house and baseball practice in the backyard too! The point is, enjoy your family! You have a second family also, the RV community! Don't feel bad if you should decide to part with your airplane! We'll welcome you back, like the "prodigal son"!:D

Phil,
you know I have been building my 6A for years - through jobs, moves, marriage, kids born and kids growing up. The RV is just one part of the tapestry. I expect the flying will just become another part. I have already decided that I will start another - I cannot imagine not having a project to work on, flying is completely different, and can't take its place.
If I were you, I would recognize that flying is just another part of your life, it is not the be all and end all, if you hardly or never fly in winter, so be it - you have other important things in your life! There has to be a point to what you do - when I finally finish, it won't be enough to just bore holes in the sky - it has to have a purpose - so my plan is to focus on becoming a better pilot, learn aerobatics, and get an instrument rating. One might ask why - it's just part of the tapestry.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A finishing

I had to de-lurk for this one...

...but I'll keep it short.

I'm one of those who "amassed" a few hundred hours before my financial situation made flying too difficult to continue. Every plane that goes overhead makes me look skyward, and on the few occasions when my more fortunate flying buddies need someone to man the radios, I grab the opportunity without hesitation.

Now that I'm married (round two!) and have a need to fly rather than just a desire (her kids are a state away, and we're mid-way between them and each of our aging parents, so getting face time with any of them is always a compromise, not to mention a driving marathon). I've promised my wife that I am determined to change our financial situation sufficiently to afford a plane of our own, whether I have to build it piece by piece, or buy it outright.

Either way, my goal is an RV of some description, and I'll make that happen one way or another. Having said all that, I only ask the original poster to consider the alternative to their situation. You are one of the fortunate few, and you've been given a gift. I suspect you already know that, and maybe the winter blues aren't helping matters, but I hope you can remember what brought you here and be grateful for it!

I have enormous respect for builders, and for the folks who have attained a level of success in life that allows them to pursue their dream of flight. I have a healthy amount of envy, and maybe just as importantly, a deep, burning desire to emulate them. When I get there, I can guarantee you I won't take a second of the opportunity for granted. It's been in my blood for too long, and I can't imagine my life without aviation.

...Well, that wasn't very short, was it?

Back