What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Has anyone used JetFlex?

CNEJR

Well Known Member
I was wondering if anyone has used JetFlex Water base paint for their cockpit? If so what was your result? Does it paint well, is it pretty tough, what primer did you use? Thanks for any feedback.

I bought some JetFlex water based paint and sprayed my interior. Long story short, I removed the paint and repainted with Dupont Nason instead. Would use the Dupont again and again. The JetFlex wasn't as easy to spray (you have to dilute it) and after it cured it attracted dirt very easily.

I also used Jet Flex on my interior (sandy-beige). It seemed to be sensitive to the dilution with water, too much and you get some good runs, but once you get that figured out, it works well with the HVLP. Otherwise, I had a good semi-gloss and although it's not perfect, it seems to be a really tough paint. I did the interior just prior to starting final assembly of the interior components and wiring, and I'd say the scratches are minimal. I had previously used DP48LF (white epoxy) for teh primer, and once it was lightly sanded and wiped down, the Jet Flex adhered without a problem. I have yet to have any peeling. Fuel and brake fluid don't seem to have an impact. It's easy to clean up, being water based, but you want to clean up as soon as you can because that stuff is tough to get off the gun.

Good Result

I used the WB JetFlex and utilized a tip from the Local SW store. JetFlex is very similar to SW Polane in the waterbase formula. They said that local speaker makers use it and spray it with a slightly textured finish for a durable result. You do this by shooting one smooth cover coat and when it is partially dried, you open the paint nozzle and turn the pressure way down. You then spray a light spatter coat. It took me a bit of practice to get it right, but I really liked the result.

I prepped the QB wash primer by spraying it down with DN alcohol and lots of wiping.

It has proven to be durable and it does not show finger or paw prints.

Textured%20Jetflex.JPG

IMG_0925.JPG

JetFlex on interior

I used JetFlex water base on my interior. Then I scratched it after I had installed and connected the panel! I sanded the scratch then used a paint brush to paint over the area. Came back a couple of hours later and could not find the touch up!

Something to consider when choosing an interior paint. I know now how easy it is to repair and in the future sections could be refreshed with a paint brush.

Ken

I ended up using it. Was very pleased. It really sprayed well, very smooth satin finish.

Can JetFlex water based be applied to DuPont Variprime'd surfaces? Or should I use the petro-based verion? My interior is primed with Variprime and I have been considering JetFlex for my interior. Also, satin or flat? Not sure they have a glossy version. Thanks!

I used a satin finish for the interior and it worked well. I'm not sure how well it would adhere to Veriprime, but I applied mine over scuffed-up DP-48LF with good results.

Works good

I used the jetflex dark gray with great results. Seems like it takes a little while to dry but when it does it is very durable. I did some experimenting and applied this to bare aluminum that was roughed up and clean as well as over a 2 part Azko epoxy primer. It seemed to adhere about the same.

Back