-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-05-2022, 10:19 AM

Del seals work well, but are not a substitute for good workmanship, or poor tools.

Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7A Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan, on hold while we develop new products for RV builders
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 07-05-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Del seals work well, but are not a substitute for good workmanship, or poor tools.
+1
The alternate methods suggested may be better but personally I would just fix it using standard methods. As suggested, it could be a crack or bad AN fitting or both. Or maybe someone flared using an automotive flare tool (wrong angle). Fix that and fly on.
Airport committee chair & AOPA ASNV for Seaside, OR Municipal (56S), www.seasideairport.org
Last Donated January 2022
Old 07-06-2022, 08:30 AM

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Looked at the flare and fitting and they look decent, though the flare has a slight imperfection in the edge which may be the cause. Tom - I still have some lines from you that I may give another shot at. If you remember - a couple years ago, I couldn't get them to not squeal. In hindsight, I am thinking that I had some air in there that may have been causing it.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:08 PM

Just out of curiosity...why do you have a steel AN fitting on there? The tube is aluminum, the brake housing is aluminum. Pretty sure an aluminum AN fitting is appropriate there...
Old 07-06-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
Just out of curiosity...why do you have a steel AN fitting on there? The tube is aluminum, the brake housing is aluminum. Pretty sure an aluminum AN fitting is appropriate there...
Good question: not my plane and I donít know the full history there.
Stupid question: Does it matter?
Old 07-06-2022, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutWick View Post
Good question: not my plane and I donít know the full history there.
Stupid question: Does it matter?
For one thing, the torque values are vastly different for aluminum vs. steel fittings. And, although inconsequential for a single fitting or two, weight...if this was done all over a large airplane, I guess, it could add up. Finally, IMO, it's overkill...you use steel fittings where high heat could be a problem (FWF passthroughs, in case of fire; oil cooler fittings; etc.).

Putting a steel fitting into an aluminum boss might, I dunno, also be a problem when tightening it to the needed orientation. Others can weigh in here. I'm a systems engineer, not an ME . We work to requirements, and anything more is unnecessary, more complicated, more expensive, heavier, etc. LOL!
Old 07-07-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
For one thing, the torque values are vastly different for aluminum vs. steel fittings. And, although inconsequential for a single fitting or two, weight...if this was done all over a large airplane, I guess, it could add up. Finally, IMO, it's overkill...you use steel fittings where high heat could be a problem (FWF passthroughs, in case of fire; oil cooler fittings; etc.).

Putting a steel fitting into an aluminum boss might, I dunno, also be a problem when tightening it to the needed orientation. Others can weigh in here. I'm a systems engineer, not an ME . We work to requirements, and anything more is unnecessary, more complicated, more expensive, heavier, etc. LOL!
If one component is aluminum, the aluminum torque spec should be used, I believe. No issue with a steel fitting installed with an aluminum tube and nut. Certainly not necessary here, but no issue in doing so. One key advantage is that steel NPT fittings installed into an aluminum FNPT have a much lower chance of galling the alum threads than using both aluminum FNPT & aluminum MNPT. This is the primary reason they are used on oil coolers. The cooler is aluminum, so no point in having a fitting that can stand more heat than the cooler or the hose can. (weakest link philosophy) Some also believe that the steel fitting can handle more stress from the hose constantly moving and therefore less chance of fitting failure in that application - fixed cooler with moving engine. I tend to use only steel fittings FWF for these reasons. In those cases the hose ends are typically aluminum. Steel can handle a LOT more fatigue cycling from vibration than aluminum can and it is usually the fitting that gets the stress as opposed to the hose end.

Last edited by lr172 : 07-07-2022 at 07:45 AM.