What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Overhaul delays

bhester

Well Known Member
Patron
Is anyone having an engine Overhaul (long story for later) and being told that it is delayed because of parts availability right now?
I’ve had my engine at an engine shop since April 20, 2021 with an estimated return date of 2 months end of June. I’m still waiting, a couple more days will be 4 months. I’m being told he can’t get cylinders, but a call to Superior and they found a distributor with them on the shelf at regular retail price. I’m thinking the engine shop has a distributor that he gets them from at a reduced price and he is not getting any right now, not sure of that because I’m pretty much not being told anything more than what I’ve listed here.

Engine overhaul delays

Bobby,

Yep- I sent my engine to Aerosport for overhaul just before Christmas 2020 and it sat there for lack of cylinders and other parts from Lycoming. Didn’t finally get the engine back until May 2021. It’s a beauty with a custom paint job but man was the wait frustrating. Good luck, it’s worth it to not have the greasy, grimy gopher guts engine anymore (to paraphrase a children’s book - can’t remember the name).

In general, yes - there are delays throughout our industry due to parts availability issues. Remember that if thee are 1,000 parts in your engine, it doesn’t make any difference if 999 of them are on the shelf - you’re stuck without the 1……

That said,I don’t have any specifics on which parts are hard to get right now - but I know there are delays due to supply chain problems in airframe, engine, and avionics parts.

Paul

Good luck, it’s worth it to not have the greasy, grimy gopher guts engine anymore (to paraphrase a children’s book - can’t remember the name).
Isn’t that line from Carl the groundskeeper in Caddyshack? :p

Carl Spackler: “Great big gobs of greasy, grimy gopher guts! How 'bout a nice cool drink, varmints? Scum... slime... menace to the golfing industry. You're a disgrace and you're varmints. You're the lowest members of the food chain and you'll probably be replaced by the rat.”

Long Lead Times

Things are definitely backed up out there. The 2 engines I’m building at the moment have both been waiting for parts. For instance I ordered Lycoming Cam kits in the first week of May and was told they’re back ordered until July. Now they’re telling me October !! It took over 10 weeks to get the crankshafts and cases done. Lycoming 360 cylinders ? End of the Year maybe ! I was talking to a big shop and he checked his Lycoming inventory sheets and he has back orders going into the middle of 2022 !! I know Superior is doing much better but if you want Lycoming factory parts your hosed.
Makes me wonder about all the Lycoming engines that were ordered through Vans to beat the price increase that are supposed to be delivered before the end of the year ?? LOL . Talking to the parts distributor’s they are at their wits end and taking a lot of abuse from unhappy customers. Everybody is trying but there is only so much one can do.
Most shops I know are quoting 6 months for an engine OH. All I can say is If you need an engine done plan way way ahead.

Last edited:
Back