What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with Intersection Fairings, wheel pants, fairings

RicoB

Well Known Member
Patron
Getting to the point on working on wheel pants and fairing!
Any tips and tricks is greatly appreciated. thanks

One other thing, Which intersection fairings should i buy? From vans or from Fairings ETC? Who makes a better fitting ones? I know the price on vans is much much cheaper but if i have to re-do the whole thing than whats the point of a cheap price.

If someone has pics or links please email me. [email protected]

Thanks guys

I bought the RV Bits intersection fairings and they fit fine. My hangar mate with a -6 installed new Vans gear and intersection fairings. I think they fit better than mine and appear to be more aerodynamic with a smoother all-around fit.

If I had to do it again, I'd go with Vans' parts.

I bought the lowers only from Vans, and made the upper ones myself. Even if you purchase them, expect to have to do plenty of modifying. The uppers were fairly simple to mold up on the plane with some modeling clay and plenty of mold release spray. The more time you spend getting the clay shaped and smoothed, the easier the finishing process will be. The lowers were a bit more complicated so I liked having something to start with.

Chris

The ones I bought from Vans in 2012 were a terrible fit. I returned them and bought the RV Bits version. They were a MUCH better fit and required almost no modifications. YMMV.

I am finishing the installation of Van's intersection and gear leg fairings on my -6. The fit is excellent. I took some care to align the wood stiffeners and gear leg fairings. When I slipped the uppers on they were perfectly aligned. They are only a few layers thick so can be re-molded if necessary. The only place I needed to do that was the front of the upper intersection. I split them and then used a heat gun to form them to the lower engine cowling. The lowers needed no mods. Couldn't be happier with them.

What are the part numbers for the upper and lower intersection fairings? I recently received a parts list from Vans for an RV-7 finishing kit, and can't find them in the list. I have a friend with a set up uppers he can make me a good deal on, but I need to know what parts to delete from the kit.

RV Bits intersection fairings are available from Cleaveland Tool. They don't tell you this for some reason, but have them ready to ship. Faster and easier to contact than RV Bits.

RV Bits intersection fairings are available from Cleaveland Tool. They don't tell you this for some reason, but have them ready to ship. Faster and easier to contact than RV Bits.

Thank you Bill. I managed to stumble onto that fact in my research over the last couple of days, but I did notice that Cleaveland only offers the full set in their online catalog. I should contact them and see if they offer just the lowers before I buy these uppers.

Back