What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tippers, how do we get this rivet? (pic incl.)

Captain_John

Well Known Member
Hey all,

This rivet hole at the end of the rule:

P1010261.JPG

I imagine that it will be a wicked bugger to hammer!

Should I whittle away a good chunk of the angle now before the bulkhead gets installed?

Does a blind rivet go here?

Anyone?

:confused: CJ

I seem to remember the instructions telling me NOT to rivet that bracket/doubler. I am thinking that it was to allow to set just those rivets.

I think the construction man. says to not rivet the heavy angle in place until after the fuse skins have been riveted. Maybe not though...
It will also cause you some trouble with a few of the other rivets in the main longerons.

I suggest you remove the angle from the 706 bulkhead and reinstall it later.
This is not difficult to do.

oh that nasty 705g eh

well not now.
however some will tell you to fit your canopy first,others will say after top rear window skin. the trouble is that the canopy side rails cover some of these rivets.so you need to put it on there before them. but if you do that then you cant get the side skin rivets in(3 each side) to buck them. the quick build use blind rivets IIRC ive seen others install them and drill into them from the side to make room for the rivet to be inserted all the way so it can be pulled.(not an option for me) i prefer to have the bucked rivet in there. so i called vans they said to install the skins (top included)then these brkts(705G) then side rails. many different opinions out there but leave them clecoed for a while yet.

well i see that you already have them partially installed i THINK you may want to drill them off. and if you go the blind rivet route then yes make a little room in there.

Last edited:
the other half

the top flange (undrilled in the pic) blocks a rivet or two in the longeron as well.. im doing this right now and have decided to put the rear window skin on prior to fitting the glass. i am however installing the strobes and elt before the skin.

AltonD said:
I seem to remember the instructions telling me NOT to rivet that bracket/doubler. I am thinking that it was to allow to set just those rivets.

CJ, what Alton said. ;) I just have mine clecoed together in that area.

rvbuilder2002 said:
I think the construction man. says to not rivet the heavy angle in place until after the fuse skins have been riveted. Maybe not though...
It will also cause you some trouble with a few of the other rivets in the main longerons.

I suggest you remove the angle from the 706 bulkhead and reinstall it later.
This is not difficult to do.

CJ, listen to this man. He knows his stuff.

CJ, if you haven't gotten one of these for round head rivets, you will be glad that you did. It is for perfect round head removal every time.

I had a weak moment and bought mine from ACS. I could have save $30 from avery.

https://www.cart.averytools.com/p-528-rivet-removal-tool.aspx

BTW, avery has an expired certificate. Accept it and it will take you to the tool page.

Last edited:
Well, it looks like those perfectly set rivets are gonna come out now!

:D

Alton, thanks for the tip! I suppose that will be the Tool O' the Week!

Thanks All!

;) CJ

Cleaveland has the rivet removal tool still on sale, ask me how I know. Check in the specials.

I think (and I could be wrong) the rivets that go in that location hold both the side fuselage skin and the top aft skin. I don't recall the instructions saying not to rivet the angle in there at this point, but maybe the newer ones did. I riveted mine in there, ground out a slight indentation to allow the rivet to fit in there and have decided to put pop rivets in there (and fill the hole) rather than gouge up things with a bucking bar later. I've also drilled the hole to allow the static line through there.

YMMV

705g

Captain,
You can come over some time to see the progress on my plane.
The instructions say not to rivet this angle till later. However they don't tell you what latter is so I called Vans and they didn't have a clear answer. I was going to put these on after I riveted the side skins but this location has the top skin sharing these holes. I ground the side of the angle a little to allow for the tail of the rivet since the 705 was pretty close to the longeron. I will use pop rivets in the 3 or 4 holes at the side skin. One thing to watch out for though. I riveted on the side rails before installing the 705g angles wich makes it much harder to rivet the 705g.
If I were to do it again I would wait to rivet these until just before installing the side rails then just pop rivet the side skin whan the time comes.
I also have some home made bucking bars you can borrow for the side rails when your ready.

Rob

Cool, Thanks again, All!

Rob, I will be in touch! I would like to come over and see your project again soon!

:) CJ

Back