What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear tower mod

TShort

Well Known Member
I'm planning on doing the gear tower mod (screws and cover plates) mentioned in other posts ... what I have not seen mentioned is how those of you with QB fuses cut the web out with everything installed in the fuse.

I was thinking a Dremel with a cutoff wheel or perhaps a nibbler, but before I start hacking into things I thought I'd check to see if anyone had a brilliant / easy / safe way to do it.

Thanks

I drew a line and cut with hand shears then filed to finish. Probably the quicker way to remove the material.

May not be a consideration in your case, but the base on my Jigsaw was about 2 3/8" wide. Which would have left a lot of filing, or creeping up with the snips anyway. (The final cut line was less than an inch from the rivet heads)
Don't know about the quicker/best method, but it was easy, safe, and left very little swarf/mess with the snips.
Paul.

106a.jpg

(Before final cuts.)

Last edited:
Die grinder with a cut off wheel here. Took longer to mark it than it did to cut it. It's only an airplane..get in there and build it.

I wish I had thought of that mod 15 years ago when my '8 was going together. Routing vent lines, wiring, TP&M cables as well as accessing the gear clamp bolts was a real bugger. Some build details fade over time but the memory of wrestling stuff through the lightening holes is still clear.

I wish I had thought of that mod 15 years ago when my '8 was going together. Routing vent lines, wiring, TP&M cables as well as accessing the gear clamp bolts was a real bugger. Some build details fade over time but the memory of wrestling stuff through the lightening holes is still clear.
Yep, same here. First flight 6/6/2000. Difference now is my hands have grown and won't fit through any longer! Go figure.

Gear Tower mod

This is how I did mine during construction but I think itcould be done to a finished aircraft by being careful not to cut anything besides the web in the gear leg tower . ;)
DSCF1226_zps625d08b7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN0773_zpsa857c70d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Glareshield!

Off topic, but way to go with the squared off glareshield! My experience has been all military and commercial, so "flat on top" glareshields have been the norm for me. Given the increasing use of glass instruments, having the top of your glareshield match the top edge of your EFIS screen makes total sense. It may even allow some builders to raise the bottom edge of the instrument panel which is nice for knees and sticks.

Really looks great!

Clay "Cookie Monster" Cook

Back