What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-1 Tour stop in PA

MS19087

Well Known Member
EAA 1250 is preparing for the arrival of the RV-1 at Heritage Field (KPTW) on May 6 , 2012. We are planning a fly-in inviting RVers, home builders and aviation enthusiasts from the region (PA, MD, DE, NJ, NY, etc) for food, conversation and comraderie. This is an historic event for RVers and homebuilders alike as this plane is destined for the EAA museum. Please visit http://www.1250.eaachapter.org/ for more details on the event. If you think you will be attending, either PM me or post it here - just trying to gauge potential attendance for our planning. Fingers crossed for great weather!

Last edited:
Count me in.

I'll be there and I'll make sure the other RV flyers in the area know about it. Looking forward to it!

... Bill

Bummer. It's my weekend to work. Long time I didn't visit the most organized Chapter on North East. :)

RV-1 Tour - Sunday 6 May at KPTW

Hi folks,

Preparations continue for our Heritage Gathering of RVs in Pottstown, PA (KPTW) on May 6, 2012 where we will host the RV-1 for the day. Festivities begin at noon, though you are welcome to come earlier. EAA 1250 has organized a BBQ Lunch and other activities. All RVs, experimentals and homebuilds are welcome. Please join us for an afternoon of aviation, nostalgia, and comraderie. Let's hope for good weather :). Please direct any questions to me at: [email protected]

Hope to see lots of you folks on May 6!

LATEST UPDATE for RV-1 PA Stop at KPTW

Weather is looking ok right now. Just heard from Mitch and he says RV-1 is scheduled to arrive around 10:30am. Although Fly-in is scheduled to start at noon, we welcome you to arrive earlier. Food should be available by 11:30.
We have received lots of interest in this event and expect a great turn out from RVs in the region. BTW airport manager is offering discounted fuel on Sunday as added incentive to visit!! Looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone. Check out http://www.1250.eaachapter.org/ for more details and updates.

Sunday am update

At8:00am currently IFR at KPTW, forecast to improve by 1 PM. Mitch will keep me posted on their actions and stated that they will try to get to us ASAP. Hopefully that will be early afternoon. Check back here later this am for an update. Fingers crossed that this stuff lifts or burns off . . .

Happy Birthday Mark!

Thanks for the good show!

90136ce8.jpg

c888ccc0.jpg

05147dfa.jpg

Looking at the RV-1 SPOT tracking page, it looks to me like it made it to Pottstown about an hour ago.

Another successful event!

I just got a call from Mark and it sounds like a very successful event. He said about 30 RVs and several (dozen?) other planes flew in with folks wanting to see the RV-1. We look forward to their photos and reports. Thanks to Mark and the other folks at Pottstown!

On to Connecticut in the next few days.

Great day at Pottstown Limerick!

It took awhile for the weather to decide to let the RV-1 leave Frederick, MD, but she finally got here...
IMG_9572a.jpg

...taxiing in...
IMG_9578.jpg

...shutting down...
IMG_9585.jpg

...for awhile, this was the best picture I could get of this little piece of aviation history...everyone wanted a piece of the action!
IMG_9589.jpg

...but after awhile, the crowd began to drift away, so shot's like this were possible
IMG_9644.jpg

...and this...
IMG_9624.jpg

....and despite his protestations, I have definitive photographic evidence that Vlad, the Russian Spy, WAS in fact present (stealing vital secret technology no doubt, before heading back to "work")
IMG_9437.jpg

Thanks to the guys and gals from EAA Chapter 1250 who made this event possible, and for letting riffraff like me inside their hallowed gates. So cool to see in real life so many of the planes I'd only seen in pictures here on VAF before today (including the awesome RV-3 painted like the plans for the airplane, as well as Vlad's 9A, Tony's (tkatc's) -7A, Dave Valcik's "80% done and 80% to go" -12...and so many others!)

Last edited:
Thanks for the very nice photos! Looks like folks are keeping the -1 nice and shiny!

Hope to see more photos. Maybe a special one??????

Vlad

Glad you and your friends could make it in to see the rv1 Also glad I'm not the only one who gives you a hard time.

By the way I did inventory the safety wire - lol

Glad you and your friends could make it in to see the rv1 Also glad I'm not the only one who gives you a hard time.

By the way I did inventory the safety wire - lol

David,
You guys put incredible show there thanks. I love those cars.

We were ready for departure RV1 landed.

1.jpg

Saw your "crime scene" :)

DSC_0032.jpg

I like your oil cap holder this is vital technology secret would sell good.

3.jpg

But the REAL Spy was him. Taking pictures of people's tails.

DSC_0009.jpg

Vlad

A million apologies...perhaps I did have the wrong spy. Has Tony had us fooled all along? He was everywhere!
IMG_9517.jpg

Spoils of "guardianship"

Managed to get a little birthday present for myself at the event . . . a photo op with the -1 and my -9A before we tucked her away for the night . . .
DSC_0663.JPG

Managed to get a little birthday present for myself at the event . . . a photo op with the -1 and my -9A before we tucked her away for the night . . .
DSC_0663.JPG

Not everyday man turns 50! Good present Mark! How was the cake? :)

Thanks EAA 1250

2rgmm2x.jpg

I was honored to have my 7A parked in the same row with the RV-1

Mark thanks for pulling this together and Happy 50th!!!

Vlad and Tony it was great catching up with you two.

Mark

Your 9A was absolutely gorgeous. If you notice a lingering RV-9A-shaped discoloration in the grass where you were parked, blame my drool. :)

PS - Belated Happy Birthday. I beat you to 50 by a week (but you have a 9A and I don't, so you win)!

Last edited:
For those with time on their hands...or not wanting to work...

Here's a link to a Photobucket album from the fly-in. Haven't had time to edit the bad ones yet. Note: They seem to be in reverse order for some reason, so the first pics are from late in the day as people began to depart and the last pics are from earlier in the day:

http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p574/iflyslow/

Last edited:
Hey I recognize some of those planes! Nice job eaa 1250, I wish I could have made it. I am planning on checking out the rv-1 when it makes it's way out to the west coast.

Rob the over / under odds in Vegas are against you

I don’t think your RV3 will make it to you. As your friends told you when you abandon us, the plane belongs in PA and your dad is a member of our group. Just get over it and sign the pink slip over and order a new one from VAN’s that you can build in CA.
rob-0001.JPG

rob-0002.JPG

rob-0003.JPG

Hope to see you soon when you visit your dad's rv3

Yeah, but is Rob going to get his pitot cover back, or is it goign to be shredded inflight first?! ;)

Yeah, but is Rob going to get his pitot cover back, or is it goign to be shredded inflight first?! ;)

Good Call Paul, I believe this was just a taxi from hanger to the flight line for the show and back to the hanger, at least I hope so.
Bob

I don?t think your RV3 will make it to you. As your friends told you when you abandon us, the plane belongs in PA and your dad is a member of our group. Just get over it and sign the pink slip over and order a new one from VAN?s that you can build in CA.
HAHA...If the RV-14 is a motorglider then I might just do that.

More pics!!
I love Adam's -8 so I am going to steal as many tricks and mods as I can!!
_DSC0110.JPG

_DSC0113.JPG

_DSC0114.JPG

Now on to the the fly-in...

_DSC0115.JPG

Many nice examples!!

_DSC0116.JPG

_DSC0117.JPG

_DSC0118.JPG

_DSC0119.JPG

_DSC0121.JPG

This SLOWtation did a high speed pass before landing....must be an RV driver too!!
_DSC0122.JPG

_DSC0123.JPG

_DSC0124.JPG

_DSC0125.JPG

_DSC0126.JPG

Unique -12 panel!!

_DSC0127.JPG

Sorry about all the -8 pics. That's what I'm attempting to build.
_DSC0128.JPG

Gyro-copter!!
_DSC0129.JPG

Pitts!
_DSC0133.JPG

Some top secret Russian plane. KGB was all over today!
_DSC0134.JPG

Russian tour guide said this "Bear Clock" was a fake replica. Just like the one he gave DR years ago!! :D:D:D
_DSC0135.JPG

RV-1 FINALLY showed up as we were taxiing out! :mad:
_DSC0136.JPG

_DSC0137.JPG

Airplanes? I do not see any airplanes. All I see is a wonderful, sexy, 1942 Willys MB !!! :D

Hey Vlad, I went through my old racing stash and I have a ball of beat to heck, crinkled up safety wire for you. Man, growing up in Russia must have been TOUGH.

Hey Vlad, I went through my old racing stash and I have a ball of beat to heck, crinkled up safety wire for you. Man, growing up in Russia must have been TOUGH.

Yep, Scott, send them all :D And extra $25 to Doug would not hurt either.

I grew up in Soviet Union it was even tougher :D

Back