What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Choose RV-4 or RV-8?

I really appreciate all of the post so far, very informative, thanks to all!

I got a question though. What's the "rocket" refer to? Is it a modified RV-4?

Last edited:
That's what I want....a Rocket. 200kt cruise on something like 11 gph. Sign me up!

Someday can't come soon enough!
Steve

I had an RV4 for a few years while building my RV7A and I can tell you it is a great plane to fly and handles great. My instructor for the transition training had an RV8 and thought the 4 handled better. I noticed that with the 4 you sit down lower and almost on top of the wing spar so when you roll it your closer to the longitudinal axis. With the 8 you seem to sit up higher above the wing. Both are great planes but the 8 has quite a bit more room.
When I first started flying the 4 I thought I would never be able to land that thing but with some great instruction I eventually got the hang of it.

RV8

It's hard to beat the RV8 for tandem seating and cross country flying. Mine handles great and it has more room for baggage. BUT, it cost more too.

I really appreciate all of the post so far, very informative, thanks to all!

I got a question though. What's the "rocket" refer to? Is it a modified RV-4?

Its a Harmon Rocket. It starts liife as a 4, sort of but with parts and plans from John Harmon, you make this airplane. It uses a 4 wing, tail and parts of the fuse.

Its a little harder to build, but worth it in the long run, I hope.

Check out John Harmons Website, or some of the many others, just Bing Harmon Rocket and there are plenty or web sites, video's and pics.

PM me if you have any more questions, We are like the "Red Headed Stepchild" of the Vans Family, so take that in to account too, we have our own forum here but it isn't real active, other websites are out there too.

Last edited:
This is a very helpful community. Very interesting read on the Rockets, thanks to all. I now need to find me a ride in a 4 & 8!

Last edited:
re: resale value

I don't believe the 8 has a better resale value than the 4. Just because the price is higher doesn?t make it a greater value. One needs to consider the ROI.

The 8 builders nearly always without exception put way more money into their planes so they have to ask for a heck of a lot more. They tend to go with bigger engines, C/S, more instrumentation, and the QB kits are considerably more and many choose that option. 8?s had better ask for more, and they should get more, but only because their investment is greater. That doesn't translate into the 8?s having a better ROI or better resale value than the 4?s.

Back