What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Steel for Backriveting Plate

Chofrock

I am in Portland and am looking for a local place to buy a long piece of steel for a back riveting plate. Ideally I would like a piece that is the length of my bench 6-8 ft long.

It's not local, but check out onlinemetals.com. You can get any dimensions you want, and I've found that their prices + shipping beat home depot by quite a bit. I bought cold rolled steel from them to use as a back rivet plate. The finish was very smooth...I didn't need to do anything to it.

Go to your local surplus store or junkyard and you can probably find something that will work at a reasonable price. Particularly if they have any old farm or construction machinery parts.

greg

Steel fabricator

Take a look on line for local steel fabricators. If you drop in they will probably give you any scrap A36 plate they have laying around. You should also be able to buy some bar stock from them if they don't have any scrap to give.

Steel plate works fine...

I bought a piece of "scrap" steel plate from the Steel Yard on Columbia Blvd for a very reasonable price. It is about 1/2 inch thick and about 20" x 30". It took some effort with a belt sander with progressively finer grades of sandpaper to smooth and polish the irregularities on one side to get a nice smooth surface for back riveting. Works very well. I built two RV-8s with it. I am not sure that you need a back-riveting plate any larger than mine. Mine is heavy but still portable if I need to move it; anything much larger would have to stay in one place.

Dan Miller

RV-8 N3TU 730 hours

steel plate

I picked this up today at a steel yard. 1/4 inch X 6" X 4' and had them cut it in half all for $15.00

271pv.jpg

Cleaned of the slag from the torch, rounded the corners/ends and started cleaning one up

Are the minor pits in the top a concern? I've got a new clean piece of 3/8" but there is some small pits that look like they were in there from manufacturing.

I used a 1/2 x 6 x 24 piece of plate . With a router i cut down into the work table 1/2 inch and inserted the plate so it was flush with the surface of the table top . Makes it easy to move the parts across the surface without a speed bump under the part.

Back