What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV12iS Repairman Certificate

sweet1

I'm New Here
Chicago FSDO states that I need to take the 120 Hour course to be able to maintain my newly built RV12iS. They reference their guidance (FAA) docs and also reference the information on the Van's site. Based on those references, their position is that the E-LSA cannot be treated as an EAB as it is built to a higher standard and requires a higher level of training to maintain it.

Has anyone else run into this ? Note: Course = $4,500 plus travel, lodging, meals, etc. for 12 days.

Sounds like you got a guy who does not deal with ELSA on a routine basis. My RV12 was one of the first the Scottsdale FSDO certified 10 years ago. I recall my DAR had several clarification discussions with their staff regarding OLs and my LSRI certificate issue, but they got it done. Now it’s much smoother, or so I’m told by guys who have been through it in the last few years.

According to the "Maintaining A Light Sport Aircraft: Who Can Do What?" table in the Sept. 2021 edition of Sport Aviation (pg. 30), you can take a 16-hour class (LSRI) and perform Maintenance and Condition Inspection on any E-LSA you own. To perform the same Maintenance and Condition Inspection on E-LSA you don't own or any S-LSA, you need the 120-hour course (LSRM).

You don't explicitly say, but I take it you built the plane exactly to plan and registered the plane as E-LSA rather than E-AB?

According to the "Maintaining A Light Sport Aircraft: Who Can Do What?" table in the Sept. 2021 edition of Sport Aviation (pg. 30), you can take a 16-hour class (LSRI) and perform Maintenance and Condition Inspection on any E-LSA you own. To perform the same Maintenance and Condition Inspection on E-LSA you don't own or any S-LSA, you need the 120-hour course (LSRM).

I'm not sure what the exact wording is in the who can do what article, but what you wrote is not entirely correct.

The 16 hr LSRI class has totally no connection or relevance to who can do maintenance, repairs, modifications, etc., on an ELSA RV-12.
It is only relevant to who can preform and sign off a condition inspection.

The reason for this is an ELSA is an experimental aircraft. Experimental aircraft have no FAR's that regulate who can do maint. or repairs (or condition inspections), because of the for mentioned first paragraph of that section. For this reason, the requirement is included in the aircrafts operating limitations. The typical limitation for ELSA regulates who can do the condition inspection, but does not state a limitation of who can perform any other maint. or repair work.

EXACTLY.............

I'm not sure what the exact wording is in the who can do what article, but what you wrote is not entirely correct.
The 16 hr LSRI class has totally no connection or relevance to who can do maintenance, repairs, modifications, etc., on an ELSA RV-12.
It is only relevant to who can preform and sign off a condition inspection.
The reason for this is an ELSA is an experimental aircraft. Experimental aircraft have no FAR's that regulate who can do maint. or repairs (or condition inspections), because of the for mentioned first paragraph of that section. For this reason, the requirement is included in the aircrafts operating limitations. The typical limitation for ELSA regulates who can do the condition inspection, but does not state a limitation of who can perform any other maint. or repair work.

What Scott says!

Back