What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any tricks to removing a Skytec 149 starter solenoid?

MikeinPhoenix

Well Known Member
I am joining the crowd of folks who are having intermittent issues with my Skytec 149-12LS starter. I believe it’s the internal solenoid (1,100 hours) and I have ordered a replacement. Maybe a dumb question, but is there any trick to removing the old solenoid and installing a new one? I haven’t been successful finding a maintenance manual on the internet to consult.

Thanks, Mike

Mike,
You may also have to "fiddle a little bit" with sliding the gear back and forth a little. I had the same problem when I changed mine and installed the Ford Crown Vic solenoid. It didn't seem to want to come out or maybe I was having a hard time getting the replacement in place. After reaching into the nose of the starter and pushing the gear back and forth, everything matched up and it went in (or came out).

FYI, I replaced mine after about 500 hrs after it would not always engage and almost acted like a bad battery. Sometimes just "click" a few times before engaging. The solenoid itself seemed to have worn where the electromagnet slides in a sleeve. After I got it out and played with it, I could see how sometimes it would engage forcefully and other times not so much. After replacement I never had a problem. Depending on cowl removal issues and how long that takes, it is a 15 minute job to just replace the solenoid.

Keith

Keiths comment above describe the process. fiddle with the gear until she comes out, same with getting the new one in place. My died at 550 hours, replace with one from a Crown Vic as well and now have a spare for future use if it dies again.

When. I removed mine I notices a lot of junk had packed into the housing over time. Maybe a removal and cleaning every other annual might help keep them healthy. No facts to prove this, but will all the grime I found I dont think it would hurt any.

Screws

Has anyone replaced the 2 Phillips screws with bolts? Also treadlocker after swapping the solenoid?

My LS came with socket head bolts originally. Just remove one and measure dia/length/thread pitch and order from favorite bolt supplier. And I used a drop of blue Loctite on mine every time I've replaced solenoids (3 times now?) which has done a good job of retaining those screws.

20220621_100445.jpg

My LS came with socket head bolts originally. Just remove one and measure dia/length/thread pitch and order from favorite bolt supplier. And I used a drop of blue Loctite on mine every time I've replaced solenoids (3 times now?) which has done a good job of retaining those screws.

View attachment 33170

Yep - 5mm hex socket head.

And .. . . . a 10mm for the post nut.

Back