What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X ADSB

g zero

Well Known Member
My current panel has a G3X 10” touch , GTX 327 transponder along with a GDL39 for ADSB in and a Tailbeacon for ADSB out . Building another plane with a G3X 10” Touch and looking at my options for transponders along with being ADSB compliant. The easiest and most expensive way is the $5000 Garmin remote unit . Thoughts / input?

ADS-B Options

My current panel has a G3X 10” touch , GTX 327 transponder along with a GDL39 for ADSB in and a Tailbeacon for ADSB out . Building another plane with a G3X 10” Touch and looking at my options for transponders along with being ADSB compliant. The easiest and most expensive way is the $5000 Garmin remote unit . Thoughts / input?

Good Afternoon,

The GTX 35R will fulfill your transponder needs, including the ADS-B requirement. It is listed for $2450.00. You would still need an ADS-B In receiver however, to receive ADS-B traffic and weather information, a GDL 50 would work for these purposes.

The GTX 45R is similar to the 35R, but has a built in ADS-B receiver, so there is no need for the additional GDL 50 or similar receiver, to receive and display traffic and weather information.

Another option we have is the GNX 375, which is a combination IFR GPS Navigator, and ADS-B In/Out transponder. The GNX 375 can send ADS-B weather and traffic information to your G3X Touch display as well. If you have a need for IFR GPS Approach capability, this would not be a bad choice.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Justin

Im not sure if this is what would work for you but I got a GPS 20A and a GA 35 Antenna and it made my system work great and comply. It was an easy install.

ADSB

Good Afternoon,

The GTX 35R will fulfill your transponder needs, including the ADS-B requirement. It is listed for $2450.00. You would still need an ADS-B In receiver however, to receive ADS-B traffic and weather information, a GDL 50 would work for these purposes.

The GTX 45R is similar to the 35R, but has a built in ADS-B receiver, so there is no need for the additional GDL 50 or similar receiver, to receive and display traffic and weather information.

Another option we have is the GNX 375, which is a combination IFR GPS Navigator, and ADS-B In/Out transponder. The GNX 375 can send ADS-B weather and traffic information to your G3X Touch display as well. If you have a need for IFR GPS Approach capability, this would not be a bad choice.

Thanks,

Justin

I looked up the equipment you mentioned , much appreciated. I see the GDL50 replaced the GDL39 . Any reason not to use GDL39 with the GTX35r ? It’s pretty easy to move from plane to plane .

I like to use a GTX 327 (or 32) Mode C with GDL 82 for out. Good quality used digital GTX 327's can be had for about $400 including tray and connector. An alternative to the GDL 88 to pair with the GTX 327 for "out" could also be a uAvionix Echo UAT ($1300-ish with WAAS receiver).

Then a GDL 5x for "in". The GDL 5x portable swaps just as easy between airplanes as the GDL 39. No reason to not get the newer GDL 5x. The GDL 39/5x work great with the G3X Touch via RS-232 with the GDL bare wire cable. Another plus of the GDL 52 model in particular is that not only can you move ADS-B in easily between airplanes you also only need SXM subscription for music and SXM weather.

Last edited:
Remember that there are two different adsb out solutions: 1090es and 978uat. The 1090 stuff integrates the ads-b out and transponder while the 978 solution is another box that works in addition to a mode c transponder.

I prefer 978 because it has anonymous mode. I like to broadcast my position to help with separation, but see no reason why I would broadcast my tail number with it. It’s everybody in the airspace’s business where the traffic is, it’s only my business where I am.

Anyway, only the gdl-82 or the echoUAT (wired with the mux cable) truly offer anonymous mode because they know what squawk code is in use all of the time. The sky/tail beacon must see your transponder integrated and squawking 1200 before they can go into anonymous mode.

On my airplane I got a cheap gtx-327, an echoUAT, and a GDL-50r.

Yes it’s a lot of boxes but the echo is tiny, I have anonymous mode, another source of attitude on my garmin pilot app through the gdl-50r, and I also have a second ads-b in for all other apps through the echo.

Last edited:

The GTX45R sells for $3450 not $5000.
IMO that's a pretty fair price for a brand-new Mode S transponder with built in ADS-B receiver.
There is also the convenience of one box/one antenna to install.

Last edited:
The GTX45R sells for $3450 not $5000.
IMO that's a pretty fair price for a brand-new Mode S transponder with built in ADS-B receiver.
There is also the convenience of one box/one antenna to install.

I might have over shot the $ …..was fishing for options. After weighing them out I’ll probably go with the 45R …….if I can find one in stock , the 35R is available from Air Spruce .

GDL 39

I looked up the equipment you mentioned , much appreciated. I see the GDL50 replaced the GDL39 . Any reason not to use GDL39 with the GTX35r ? It’s pretty easy to move from plane to plane .

The GDL 50 does have an internal AHRS which you can use to display attitude information on a portable device. Apart from that, the GDL 39 will accomplish the same thing as the GDL 50, as far as weather and traffic information.

The GDL 50 comes in both a portable and remote mount version.

Thanks,

Justin

I might have over shot the $ …..was fishing for options. After weighing them out I’ll probably go with the 45R …….if I can find one in stock , the 35R is available from Air Spruce .

gzero,

Is this a VFR or IFR aircraft? Just wondering what GPS data will be used with the GTX 35R/45R.

You can use an IFR GPS navigator or a GPS 20A to provide the ADS-B Out compliant WAAS GPS data to the transponder.

You can also install a GTX 335R w/GPS or a GTX 345R w/GPS. These have a built-in certified WAAS GPS receiver that is used by the GTX for ADS-B Out. These transponders have 2 antenna connections on the back. One for the GPS receiver and one for ADS-B In (345R)/Out (335R/345R).

Steve

The GDL 50 does have an internal AHRS which you can use to display attitude information on a portable device. Apart from that, the GDL 39 will accomplish the same thing as the GDL 50, as far as weather and traffic information.

The GDL 50 comes in both a portable and remote mount version.

Thanks,

Justin

Since the GDL-50r is wired to the G3X over serial and in connext format (same as what goes to the ipad over bluetooth) can the g3x use that source of attitude in a pinch? I know I can use it in the ipad or portable, but wasn't sure if it matters to the G3x.

gzero,

Is this a VFR or IFR aircraft? Just wondering what GPS data will be used with the GTX 35R/45R.

You can use an IFR GPS navigator or a GPS 20A to provide the ADS-B Out compliant WAAS GPS data to the transponder.

You can also install a GTX 335R w/GPS or a GTX 345R w/GPS. These have a built-in certified WAAS GPS receiver that is used by the GTX for ADS-B Out. These transponders have 2 antenna connections on the back. One for the GPS receiver and one for ADS-B In (345R)/Out (335R/345R).

Steve
VFR ship ….. SeaRey

GNX 375 availability

Good Afternoon,

Thanks,

Justin

Justin,

I'm in the market for the GNX 375, however no one has one in stock and the backlog is June - August of 2022. Please advise if there's a seller who has one in stock and I will order.

Thank you.

Since the GDL-50r is wired to the G3X over serial and in connext format (same as what goes to the ipad over bluetooth) can the g3x use that source of attitude in a pinch? I know I can use it in the ipad or portable, but wasn't sure if it matters to the G3x.

I think the answer is "no". I think the GDL 50's internal attitude function is strictly available to Garmin aera portable GPS's and the Garmin Pilot app for tablets and smartphones. Not a big deal as a G5 backup instrument can provide that plus all air data too to G3X so in a typical installation with G5 the GDL 50's internal ADHARS wouldn't be as good or needed. One of the great things about pairing the G5 with G3X is the G5 can provide the same functionality as the GSU 25 to the G3X so if the GSU goes down the G5 takes over so everything works like normal.

Back