What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing kit omissions and modifications

RSG

I'm New Here
I looking to order my wing kit.

I’ve got some questions about standard items and I’m wondering what are common items people are replacing with modified items.

Is the pitot system in the wing kit or finishing kit? I will be needing a
At this time my plan is to use zip tips so I won’t need the standard Van’s tips.

What avionics you using? This usually dictates pitot selection. Van’s is a simple metal tube.

The wing kit is a good time to ADD some various angle pieces and especially an extra longeron or two.

What avionics you using? This usually dictates pitot selection. Van’s is a simple metal tube.

The plan is Dynon at this stage. I was thinking of just getting a standard AN-5812 mount at this stage to leave my options open later down the line. Both the Garmin and Dynon tubes use that size.

I recently paid $337 to ship a $100 part, this has been my story from day 1 of constantly doubling up on shipping when I realise I need a new tool etc.
I figure I’m better of spending money now for example on something inexpensive like a pitot tube mount even if I don’t use it.

Later down the line I will end up spending more on shipping when I realise I needed one.

The plan is Dynon at this stage. I was thinking of just getting a standard AN-5812 mount at this stage to leave my options open later down the line. Both the Garmin and Dynon tubes use that size.

I recently paid $337 to ship a $100 part, this has been my story from day 1 of constantly doubling up on shipping when I realise I need a new tool etc.
I figure I’m better of spending money now for example on something inexpensive like a pitot tube mount even if I don’t use it.

Later down the line I will end up spending more on shipping when I realise I needed one.

Holy smokes, them shipping costs to you Aussies are ridiculous! In that case, definitely don't forget to add a couple of spare longerons. I also found a big need for the 1/16" x 3/4 x 3/4 angle quite often for various tasks.

As far as the pitot mount goes you can realistically wait pretty long before installing it. Don't really need to until you are about to install the bottom skins. You can of course run the lines first though.

P.S. The Dynon suite is awesome!

Last edited:
Wing kit

You haven't specified whether you are going to order a slow build or a quick build kit. Subject to which type you order may depend what equipment can be placed in with the kit due to size of box it ships in.

In my opinion you need to think through how you are going to run the wing tip wiring, the AOA tubing and any autopilot equipment requirements. I used the P/N: DUCT NT5 conduit from Van's to run my electrical wiring through the wing.

You have joined the club. I paid nearly $300 to ship a US$79 part from Van's.

Good luck with your build.

Cheers,

Van's has been very helpful in combining orders when shipping international. Might also check with other builders in the region to see if they need any large/bulky items then you can share the shipping costs.

Don't get the steel pitot mount, They are ridiculously heavy (and over priced).

This is what I have in my -7:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/alumpitotmast12-04764.php

You need to think hard about how you are running the wiring, so that you can get everything pre-drilled and fitted before you close the skins. Vans has the conduit, and I definitely recommend a run of that out to the tips.

I put snap bushings in 3 separate holes near the spar, two for running the airbrake line, and one for the power to the pitot. On the other wing you will probably need to add some more snap bushings in the same position for getting the wiring out to the temp probe that you will likely add near one of the access panels.

Fuel tank caps are probably worth investigating also. The ones that come with the kit are miserable. The flanges suck (hard to bend to the right shape), and the locking mech is super stiff. They also don't have key lock. I have the Newton version you used to be able to get from Van's, but apparently Van's don't sell them any more, but you may be able to get them from Newton. They are a great piece of quality gear. Main thing is to get something with a profiled flange to match the wing curve.

Probably need to get some proseal too (can't remember if that ships with the kit), and thing about getting some type of dispenser and anything else you need to build the tanks. Throw the proseal in the fridge to extend the shelf life.

Might be worth getting the mount kit for your autopilot servo, and thinking about how the wires will be run and where you will need to put adel clamps etc.

Same applies for the pitot temp controller. This is way easier to sort out before you put the bottom skins on.

I'm guessing the rear spar service bulletin kit now comes with the wing kit. Just don't forget to install it before you get that bottom skin on. I'm sure the RV-7 instructions are still as they came off the initial printing press.

Heaps of 3/32 clecoes. I'm a big believer in using lots of clecoes if you want to ensure you end up with a quality product.

A tungsten bucking bar is also a must if you don't already have one. Some of those bottom skin rivets can be a beast to buck unless you have a tungsten bar.

That's about all that comes to mind for now.
Good luck.

Tom.
RV-7

Don't get the steel pitot mount, They are ridiculously heavy (and over priced).

This is what I have in my -7:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/alumpitotmast12-04764.php

Fuel tank caps are probably worth investigating also. The ones that come with the kit are miserable. The flanges suck (hard to bend to the right shape), and the locking mech is super stiff. They also don't have key lock. I have the Newton version you used to be able to get from Van's, but apparently Van's don't sell them any more, but you may be able to get them from Newton. They are a great piece of quality gear. Main thing is to get something with a profiled flange to match the wing curve.

Thank Tom. Based on one of the recent vans YouTube video I believe they now come with a profiled flange.

Hi Rob, I had no problem installing the autopilot servo with the wings fully built, via one of the inspection ports.

One kind reminder, which is probably obvious: if you install something that might fail or need to be replaced under a wing skin that you then rivet, you might have trouble if it does fail. ;)

Thank Tom. Based on one of the recent vans YouTube video I believe they now come with a profiled flange.

Cool. Probably explains why Van's don't offer the Newton caps anymore. I was so frustrated with the flanges on the originals.
Mickey brings up a good point that you don't want to paint yourself into a corner installing something you can't fix in the future. That said, things like my pitot heat controller bracket would have been so much easier to do if I had installed it before I put on the bottom skin, then just screwed the unit in place. Trying to drill/rivet through an inspection port is a nightmare.

Tom.

I looking to order my wing kit.

I’ve got some questions about standard items and I’m wondering what are common items people are replacing with modified items.

Is the pitot system in the wing kit or finishing kit? I will be needing a
At this time my plan is to use zip tips so I won’t need the standard Van’s tips.

One advice is to find a local aircraft metal and hardware supply in your country and order your supplies there. As you go through your build, you will invariably run out of rivets, nutplates, etc. Shipping from Vans for these little items are just too expensive. The same recommendation applies to the longerons. You can order extra from Vans but if you find a local supply, then buy the longeron angles from it. I ordered the replacement longerons from Aircraft Spruce which is 30 minutes from my house. Not everyone has this luxury but it is a major cost saver.

One advice is to find a local aircraft metal and hardware supply in your country and order your supplies there. As you go through your build, you will invariably run out of rivets, nutplates, etc. Shipping from Vans for these little items are just too expensive. The same recommendation applies to the longerons. You can order extra from Vans but if you find a local supply, then buy the longeron angles from it. I ordered the replacement longerons from Aircraft Spruce which is 30 minutes from my house. Not everyone has this luxury but it is a major cost saver.

There aren’t a whole lot of options in that regard. Linton and Warren at Aircraft Props and Spares in Moorabbin are probably a good starting point, but I found the best bet was to get a Myus.com account and ship from Spruce or Vans, consolidate there then re-ship. Greg at Gee Bee aerospace at Essendon is another option if it’s something you need from Aviall, but Aviall won’t sell directly to you because we are too small to worry about.

Tom.

There aren’t a whole lot of options in that regard. Linton and Warren at Aircraft Props and Spares in Moorabbin are probably a good starting point, but I found the best bet was to get a Myus.com account and ship from Spruce or Vans, consolidate there then re-ship. Greg at Gee Bee aerospace at Essendon is another option if it’s something you need from Aviall, but Aviall won’t sell directly to you because we are too small to worry about.

Tom.

AAE estore is a good Oz local option. I've found for a lot of AN hardware they're cheaper overall than from Vans or Spruce (not everything though). I've found it's easier (cheaper and the sizes are right) to get metals from the US though.

Back