What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What category is your plane

Av8rRob

Well Known Member
A question for those with aerobatic models of RV?s. When you are heavier than your aerobatic weight, is your plane listed in your POH or limitations etc. as Normal or Utility Category? Just curious what you consider yourself when heavy.

Here?s the FAR?s for reference

Sec. 23.3

Airplane categories.

(a) The normal category is limited to airplanes that have a seating configuration, excluding pilot seats, of nine or less, a maximum certificated takeoff of 12,500 pounds or less, and intended for nonacrobatic operation. Nonacrobatic operation includes:
(1) Any maneuver incident to normal flying;
(2) Stalls (except whip stalls); and
(3) Lazy eights, chandelles, and steep turns, in which the angle of bank is not more than 60 degrees.
(b) The utility category is limited to airplanes that have a seating configuration, excluding pilot seats, of nine or less, a maximum certificated takeoff weight of 12,500 pounds or less, and intended for limited acrobatic operation. Airplanes certificated in the utility category may be used in any of the operations covered under paragraph (a) of this section and in limited acrobatic operations. Limited acrobatic operation includes:
(1) Spins (if approved for the particular type of airplane); and
[(2) Lazy eights, chandelles, and steep turns, or similar maneuvers, in which the angle of bank is more than 60 degrees but not more than 90 degrees.]
(c) The acrobatic category is limited to airplanes that have a seating configuration, excluding pilot seats, of nine or less, a maximum certificated takeoff weight of 12,500 pounds or less, and intended for use without restrictions, other than those shown to be necessary as a result of required flight tests.
[(d) The commuter category is limited to propeller-driven, multiengine airplanes that have a seating configuration, excluding pilot seats, of 19 or less, and a maximum certificated takeoff weight of 19,000 pounds or less. The commuter category operation is limited to any maneuver incident to normal flying, stalls (except whip stalls), and steep turns, in which the angle of bank is not more than 60 degrees.
(e) Except for commuter category, airplanes may be type certificated in more than one
category if the requirements of each requested category are met.]

Since my RV isn't covered under part 23, I don't think any of them apply to my -6A. I do consider maneuvers and maximum load factors based on gross weight, however, as well maneuvering speed / corner speed. I have a simple app on my iPad I use prior and sometimes during each flight that computes that among other things.

An RV-9, for example, is never approved for aerobatics or anything more than +4.4G yet there is at least one and maybe a couple that participate in IAC competitions. It's legit, because part 23 doesn't apply to experimental-amateur built aircraft. It's also depending upon the pilot's knowledge, judgement, and skill along with having the maneuvers in question documented in the aircraft log during phase one.

With respect to your POH, I'd suggest considering perhaps a table with max weight and authorized maneuvers. That should correspond to Van's design specs for load factors etc. and probably lines up pretty well with the categories you listed out of part 23.

Thanks Carl, that?s what I was wondering about. Kinda confusing since we are not far 23 aircraft

From Van's:

"The RV-3B, RV-4, RV-7/7A, RV-8/8A and RV-14/14A have been designed for the operational stress limits of the aerobatic category (+6.0/-3.0 G) at and below their aerobatic gross weights. The operational stress limits for these aircraft between their aerobatic gross weights and their maximum design gross weights are utility category (+4.4/-1.75 G).

The RV-9/9A, RV-10 and RV-12 are not designed for aerobatic flight.

The design operational stress limit for the RV-9/9A is utility category (+4.4/-1.75 G) at less than 1600 pound gross weight and is standard category (+3.8/-1.5 G) between 1600 pounds and the aircraft?s design gross weight.

The design operational stress limit for the RV-10 is standard category (+3.8/-1.5 G).

No RV should ever be operated above its design gross weight limit."

While all true, Van's is pretty careful to say "operational stress limit" of those categories and not "is considered" one of those categories. It's subtle, but it's also important.

RV-6/6A?

From Van's:

"The RV-3B, RV-4, RV-7/7A, RV-8/8A and RV-14/14A have been designed for the operational stress limits of the aerobatic category (+6.0/-3.0 G) at and below their aerobatic gross weights. The operational stress limits for these aircraft between their aerobatic gross weights and their maximum design gross weights are utility category (+4.4/-1.75 G).

The RV-9/9A, RV-10 and RV-12 are not designed for aerobatic flight.

The design operational stress limit for the RV-9/9A is utility category (+4.4/-1.75 G) at less than 1600 pound gross weight and is standard category (+3.8/-1.5 G) between 1600 pounds and the aircraft?s design gross weight.

The design operational stress limit for the RV-10 is standard category (+3.8/-1.5 G).

No RV should ever be operated above its design gross weight limit."

The RV-6/6A are not mentioned and from other sources are not equivalent to the 7/7A, for example. Any further clarification that anyone can add?

Back