What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7A IO-360 180hp vs 200hp vs O-320

fangohang

Planning my 7A and engine shopping.
Mission: RNO area light acro, SW US XC & RNO-LAX (HHR) 4/yr for work.

Shying away from CS to reduce MX, but would like to improve resale by matching build with market demand. Thanks.

I've gone around the tree a few times on engines, including getting quotes from the various vendors.

For me the choice for best value, best cross country set up, best balance is the 180hp IO-360 with the Hartzell CS prop - via Van's show special and the $1000 off if you get the prop and engine together.

The CS versus FP debate will, I'm sure, rage on. For me my first RV-8A started life with a FP prop. The plane was fine, but not stellar. I backfitted the Hartzell BA CS prop, took off with a dream set up and my only regret was all the hours flying with the FP prop knowing now what I was missing.

Carl

Well, your about to get lots of opinions and this one is no different, no right or wrong just opinion. First I don't really see the maintenance cost issue with the CS so I would reconsider that option, there is little difference at cruise but takeoff and climb is improved.

I have built RV's with 200 hp and 180 hp engines as well as carbureted and fuel injected. The 0360 A1A would be my first choice but the IO360 is a close second, both would be 180 hp engines. I would stay away from the 0320 option but the RV still performs well with that engine.

Steve,
Pat's and Carl's advice is spot on. Like you, when I built, I wanted a balance between reasonable performance, value, and follow-on marketability (for the airplane or individual components). I couldn't yet afford a CS prop, so I opted for the IO-360 with a good FP pitch. I took advantage of the 2012 Van's Sun 'n Fun engine/prop combo sale, and purchased the YIO-360-M1B with the Sensinich 72FM8S9-1(85) experimental prop. Great prop for cruise speeds, and reasonably OK for all the other stuff (takeoff, climb, aero, etc.)

About the Van's Sun 'n Fun deal: FANTASTIC! The engine ships to you bagged/pickled for long-term storage, for they recognize that you're probably not ready to install the engine so it'll need to sit a while. The prop/engine combo saves 1-2 AMUs (aviation monetary units), and that year the shipping was free. I saved another several thousand dollars by buying the non-certificated engine: It's factory new right off the Lycoming line, and even has the same warranty. It just doesn't come with a $6-7000 piece of paper saying "certified".

Now, 250 flight hours into this, I'm ready to expand the airplane's performance curve, so I'm buying the used Hartzell C2YK-1BF CS prop off Dan King's RV-8 BEAUTIFUL DOLL. This prop is the classic Van's-preferred matchup with the RV-7A / IO-360 family.

Bottom Line: Either way, you'll build a fantastic machine. I do recommend sticking with the (I)O-360 family just because to me it's what the airplane was designed for, most buyers expect, and easy and enjoyable to fly. Plenty of buyers will want a FP prop for the simplicity/cost factor, so you won't have trouble selling it IMO. Same applies for a CS prop: Much of the market will prefer it over the FP. Either way, you'll find buyers.

BTW: In about 2 weeks I'll list my FP Sensi prop here on VAF, along with the spinner and front/back plates (already fitted to each other), and the spacer and bolts. All you'll need is a 360. :cool:

Thanks all for the feedback, iyou're why this website is so valuable! Scratched the O-320 and now looking at IO-360 vs O-360. Given my desire for acro is there any benefit to an O-360?

I looked for years while building, then there it was, a freshish (240 SMOH) rebuilt, IO 360 A1A with fresh rebuild CS Hartzel out of a Mooney, 16K for both! but added Dual EFII

Alright, I'm using the search function to look for wisdom and found this post... What about when buying used? I want a fast cruiser and some mild aerobatics, worth it to pay the extra for an 0-360? IO? Or is a 320 acceptable, particularly when paired with a CS?

Planning my 7A and engine shopping.
Mission: RNO area light acro, SW US XC & RNO-LAX (HHR) 4/yr for work.

Shying away from CS to reduce MX, but would like to improve resale by matching build with market demand. Thanks.

I have ridden in IO 320 CS and it is nice, also IO 360 CS and even nicer, I fly a O320 FP and wish I had a 360, carburetor or injection. You will be happier than me with 180hp. YMMV Have a good time with your decision...it is an RV regardless and you will be happy like the rest of us. Cheers

I have ridden in IO 320 CS and it is nice, also IO 360 CS and even nicer, I fly a O320 FP and wish I had a 360, carburetor or injection. You will be happier than me with 180hp. YMMV Have a good time with your decision...it is an RV regardless and you will be happy like the rest of us. Cheers

Thanks Butch! You made my decision harder!! haha.

There's no one size fits a when it comes to this subject. If you go with the masses then there's a reason why so many have that set up (IO360/CS). Resale is always a good bonus as well, 180 HP injected CS Vans machines sell easily:)
My 8 has this very setup, I fly mostly one up half fuel tanks, it's like hanging on to a tigers tail when those 180 gee gee's get together, something you never get with a FP when launching, the most exhilarating part!

Enjoy the Vans smile, it's size is a factor of HP:)

DA gets real high in summer in the Reno area, if climbing over the Sierras I would want 200+ HP and CS :)??.for safety reasons...?.

I am not flying my 7A yet, but went IO-390 and the Composite Hartzell. At the time the 390's were cheaper than the angle valve 200HP Lyc's or I would have probably gone with that.

Looking forward to seeing how she does, but I am sure I'll be happy.

Back