What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

mixture cable routing?

Iluke

Well Known Member
I'm planning to install a Superior IO-360 in my RV-7. I want to get as much done on my firewall beforehand. I've read that the specified locations for cable-firewall penetrations (DWG 19- See below) are pretty good for the throttle, but some have said that the mixture cable location isn't the best for some non-Lycoming engines.

If there is anyone out there who has installed a Superior I'd appreciate any advice on where to run the mixture cable through the firewall. Specifically, did you use the specified location and if so, was it OK?

I'm planning a Superior XP, injected IO-360 with their "cold air" forward facing sump Precision Airmotive Silver Hawk fuel injection.
DWG%2019%20firewall_zps64mhpj2h.jpg

Unfortunately, PhotoBucket high-jacked your pic. Most people have moved to another sharing site (I like IMGUR).

I think the position for mixture noted for carb is also fine for fwd facing FI. You'll want to think about which side of the servo will be throttle vs mixture, alt air door (if you do one) and how you will route the fuel lines in/out.

rL7lEPdl.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Superior IO-320 with Precision (Bendix) FI. For the mixture cable, I first used the firewall location indicated by Vans on the plans (on the pilot side). It did not work well at all. After a lot of fussing around, I ended up routing the mixture cable through the upper slanted face of the firewall center inset. That made almost a straight shot from the center of the throttle/mixture panel, and also worked nicely on the firewall side.

I have a Superior IO-320 with Precision (Bendix) FI. For the mixture cable, I first used the firewall location indicated by Vans on the plans (on the pilot side). It did not work well at all. After a lot of fussing around, I ended up routing the mixture cable through the upper slanted face of the firewall center inset. That made almost a straight shot from the center of the throttle/mixture panel, and also worked nicely on the firewall side.

Terry. Thanks very much. That's helpful. Do you happen to have any photos you could share?
-Ivan

Ivan,

I am doing my Condition Inspection right now. My cowling is off and if you want to have a look, I will be at the airport Wednesday night from 4-10 pm.

Shoot me a text and I can give you the details.

:) CJ

I too am installing an Superior IO-360 from Aero Sport Power. I also was wondering about the firewall cable locations. Are the locations listed on the plans accurate? How much different is the mixture cable? The treads always seem to go in different directions or I can't seem to view the pictures.

I too am installing an Superior IO-360 from Aero Sport Power. I also was wondering about the firewall cable locations. Are the locations listed on the plans accurate? How much different is the mixture cable? The treads always seem to go in different directions or I can't seem to view the pictures.

Dogger-
I've been searching a number of build logs and it appears to me that with the Superior forward-facing cold-air induction and the Silver Hawk fuel injection (their standard FI) there seem to be two different possibilities for running the mixture cable:

1. Run the mixture cable over the intake runners, alongside the sump, and use Vans' mixture belcrank. In this configuration, the Silver Hawk mixture arm is clocked upward. Making this configuration work seems to require modifications to Van's bellcrank bracket to fit the Superior cold-air induction

2. Run the mixture cable under the intake and attach it directly to the mixture arm. here the mixture arm has to be clocked downward. There are different mixture arms available, in different lengths and off-sets and some builders report needing a different arm than came with the FI to make the geometry to work in this configuration.

If anyone who has installed the Superior cold-air, Silver Hawk FI combination can add anything It would be appreciated. Again, I'm still just planning and setting up my firewall before the engine arrives.

thanks

Back