What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Left turns only?

1bigdog

Well Known Member
I mocked up some foam to simulate seat height on my RV-9A.
In sitting left seat I noticed the control stick was biased toward the right. Very little room to roll right but lots of room on the left.

This spacing is controlled by the factory holes in the 904 bulkhead web and the weldment fits perfectly. So this seems like a bit of tubular weldment (maybe about an 1") is missing to center it.

The holes for the crotch straps, rudder pedals and seat are all centered, it's just the left stick's base weldment.

I know someone with an RV-7 who noticed the same as he is at about the same place in his build. Anyone gone to VANS to replace the weldment?

Thanks.

I recall substantial adjustment and multiple assembly points of the stick-control assembly that affected L-R bias on the sticks. My pilot stick is perfectly vertical, but I ran out patience in the assemble-check-disassemble-adjust process and my copilot stick is a few degrees off of vertical.

not adjustable !

I recall substantial adjustment and multiple assembly points of the stick-control assembly that affected L-R bias on the sticks. My pilot stick is perfectly vertical, but I ran out patience in the assemble-check-disassemble-adjust process and my copilot stick is a few degrees off of vertical.

Hi Terry

I'm not so much talking about the adjustments that can be done using the hex rod. I'm referring to the base of the left stick weldment being too far to the right, so the stick is sitting too close to the right leg when vertical. This appears to need an offset welded in. Everything fits perfectly. The right stick seems centered correctly.

Cheers.

A little clarity would help my mental picture of what you are referring. Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words. I will add to that word count with my questions.

Is the bias you are referring to talking about the distance from the seat cushion to the side of the stick? Or, the hole through the floor pan as it relates to the side of the stick? Or, are you referring to the fact that the stick is actually leaning to the right when attached to the push pull rod weldment below the seat pan?

So, my thoughts are leaning toward the last question. In which case that would be a matter of adjusting the push pull rod attachments to the stick and to the aileron bell crank until you get the stick in the vertical position desired at the same time the ailerons are in their correct neutral position.

Any pictures of your situation would go a long way to giving me the correct mental picture of what you are facing.

Just looked at one of the airframes in my shop, I note the control stick is positioned a little inboard than the center line between the seat position and pedals by design. This is to make more room for your left leg as the vertical side skin bulkhead is thicker there.
Is the spacing similar for the right control stick on your project? Also is the elevator control lever positioned in the center of the tunnel? This would confirm the F633 brackets were bolted on in the correct positions.

everything where it should be.

Just looked at one of the airframes in my shop, I note the control stick is positioned a little inboard than the center line between the seat position and pedals by design. This is to make more room for your left leg as the vertical side skin bulkhead is thicker there.
Is the spacing similar for the right control stick on your project? Also is the elevator control lever positioned in the center of the tunnel? This would confirm the F633 brackets were bolted on in the correct positions.

Gents,

The 633 is exactly where it should be. The holes are predetermined by the factory drilled holes in the 904 bulkhead. All fits perfectly.
I didn't sit in the right seat yet but when I eyeball it everything appears perfectly aligned on the right, but offset on the left seat . I did try to shift my body inboard but then I'm mis-aligned to the rudder pedals.

To make things more clear (I'll try to take a picture better representing the issue tonight), when seated correct for the rudder pedals and centered to everything on the left seat, stick is vertical, the stick is almost at my right leg; whereas there is plenty of separation to my left leg. The base weldment of the vertical stick appears to need about an inch or more of spacer to set the base of the stick in the centre. It's not an adjustment from what I can see. The location is set by the position of the 633's and size of the horizontal weldment and everything moves perfectly freely, no binding at all.

Thanks.

This issue is also evident in the RV6. So if Van's carried it over to the 7, there must be a reason. Just gotta get over it and build on.

In my RV7 . . .

My sticks are vertical as well. When using the fixture tool for the ailerons and setting the length of the bell crank-to-stick pushrods, a little adjustment (shortening) rendered the sticks vertical. With carpet and seats in place the left-right aileron stops are both usable.

building on ...

This issue is also evident in the RV6. So if Van's carried it over to the 7, there must be a reason. Just gotta get over it and build on.

Hi Gasman

I tend to agree because regardless there is nothing I could see that could be done. I went into the "hangar" (otherwise known as the left side of my garage) last night. At -20c it wasn't a good time to be checking this but I did want to check the right seat as well. Some of this is getting used to a position that is foreign on 5" of pink foam. Some of it is over analysing because I'm in the midst of confirming rudder, seating, stick positions and things just don't line up perfectly. I'll look at this more closely and take measurements on the weekend to make sense of it. I'd like to get into the DA20 as well to see how this differs. I might be able to check that on Saturday.

Thanks.

Can't wait to see a picture!

Zoolander-Turn-Left-GIF.gif

HA! good one John!

Drawing 38, view A-A, when the control column is mounted, note that the sticks in vertical position should be centered in the cut outs on the F904 carry through top flange. Also, if you temporarily put the seat floor panel in place, the stick should be centered as well. The crotch belt bracket, is there a offset 'Left' & 'Right' (possibly mixed up)?

Per plans, WD610 is used on all the side by side models, 6, 7 & 9
dimensions so you can check your weldment:
Control stick pivot holes- center to center 17 7/8"
the big tube length should be 16 3/4" between the welds

Hope this helps

got it backward

After having reviewed Zoolander as reference I realized I got it backward.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=9325&highlight=rudder+pedal+weldment

says it all. When I first got in I somewhat instinctively set myself aligned to the rudder pedals and had never really paid attension to have far left the weldment is to the left seat. (Or conversely how far right the right weldment is).

Whats odd when I look at this is I see no potential interference now or later that would require VANS to set the pedals so far askew. The only thing that comes to mind is that this allows them to have the ears for the rudder cable line up with the cable attach point.

Is there something I'm missing as to why they would set the pedals so wide out? I'm going to re-watch zoolander until I get it.

Thanks

Back