What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Harris Ranch NYE Party

Toobuilder

Well Known Member
Flying to a New Year's Eve party doesn't seem like a great idea, but it works pretty well at Harris Ranch. They put on a NYE package deal that includes a room, private cocktail party with an open bar all night, a spectacular steak and lobster dinner, and dancing until well after midnight to a live band. Located in the middle of California's central valley, Harris Ranch is an easy reach from the Bay Area to the north, or LA to the south. This is our third NYE in a row and despite sketchy weather forecasts, we've found the airport (3O8) to be easily VFR every time.

141tf8j.jpg

Here we are, all tied down and ready to party!

xlxcav.jpg

For the last three years, the weather forecasts have indicated poor visibility, and popping over the mountains into the central valley, it would seem to be the case. However...

9jer03.jpg

...A look over the side shows that it's just a thin scuzzy layer that really isn't bad at all. In this shot, we're about 30 miles out. Contrast this to the visibility on the ground in the lead picture.

v49s42.jpg

Within just minutes of check in, a knock on the door brings a nice little snack tray and a bottle of bubbly to pass the time as you get ready for the cocktail party...

rsrga9.jpg

...and in case you get hungry while socializing and consuming your favorite top shelf beverage, there is this selection of appetizers. All the meat, cheese, crab legs, shrimp, etc, that you can eat.

2h51dsk.jpg

Following the spectacular lobster tail and steak fillet dinner, there's dancing, more cocktails and plenty of socializing.

As I said earlier, this is our third year flying in for NYE and we're looking forward to next year. The airport is in great shape, the resort is outstanding, and the food is... Well, let's just say they know how to cook a steak!

Overall it is a very high quality evening from start to finish, and we consider the package price of $450 per couple to be a solid value.

Last edited:
One of my memorable places as well

It looks like you had fun. Whenever I have had an opportunity I have chosen Harris Ranch for possibly the best steak anywhere. We stayed overnight after the motel was first opened and the quality was outstanding - it was so good that I wondered if it was in part to establish a reputation.

Bob Axsom

It's a funny thing Bob, you just wouldn't expect such a beautiful resort out in the middle of nowhere like that. Many people outside California now know about their steaks, but the resort seems to be a well kept secret. It's so far beyond the typical roadside lodge that it defies belief.

Outstanding. Will have to put that on my list. Brings back fond memories. In a C152, Harris Ranch was my very first passenger flight after getting my Private back in 04 or so. After filing my flight plan, I still remember FSS telling me, "Have a great steak!" My passenger didnt eat beef, so she had a chicken dish while i had steak of course. The steak was great, but that was the best chicken i have ever tasted. I vowed to go back to get my own dish but never did.

Now that I am flying once again, Harris Ranch is again on my list of destinations! Thanks for the reminder!

PS. I think all of In-n-out's burgers are made with Harris ranch beef. In-n-out does all their ground beef in-house then ships out never frozen patties. :D

http://www.californiaweekend.com/california-vacation/harris-ranch.html

Well, for those who have less than full spousal support for the typical $100 hamburgers, this just might change her mind. It is a way to combine flying and show her a very nice night out.

A "win/win"...:D

Funny, I just landed there saturday to pick up a passenger in the Sky Hawk. Never heard about that party, sounds like fun! narrow runway.

Yep, we're booked again! Hope the weather does its normal thing and we can fly (have not needed to drive yet!)

Here we are closing out 2013, so just another heads up if anyone wants to do this event. We just got our reminder in the mail, so I thought I'd pass it along. We have not decided if we're doing it just yet, but it's likely we will. Got to break in the new ride, after all. :cool:

We have dined at Harris Ranch several times over the years. Fantastic steaks and we usually brought a package of steaks home.

For the past 10 years, we have not been NYE party goers. With cocktails, I'm headed for bed around 2030 and usually stone cold by 2031.:eek:

...A look over the side shows that it's just a thin scuzzy layer that really isn't bad at all. In this shot, we're about 30 miles out. Contrast this to the visibility on the ground in the lead picture....

I was stationed at NAS Lemoore, just down the road from there, from '88 to '91.

The central valley has its own brand of air pollution, due to all the feed lots and heavy agricultural activity. Combine that with the natural tendency to suck up the coastal marine layer like a hoover on steroids, and you have the potential for visibility issues year round (except when the Santa Anna winds are blowing).

Sometimes the ground fog is so thick, you can't see your hand in front of your face. Yet, you can pop up 50 feet or so above ground level and its CAVU. Then, other times it looks great on the ground, but as soon as you get airborne, you're looking through brown crud with limited horizontal visibility all the way up to thousands of feet.

A couple of times we got cleared S-VFR for a vertical take-off through shallow fog for SAR call-outs. Pretty cool to pop up through the soup and see the cab of the tower just above the fog bank.

I never did get to go to one of he NYE parties at Harris Ranch. That was for the rich guys!

Last edited:
Back