What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-7 Build - Finally

PilotRPI

Took the EAA class and built my shop about 2 years ago. Spent the interim time finding a plane and flying the heck out of it. Now that's out of the way:

Logged my first, 1.5 hours last night unpacking, inventorying, going through paperwork and plans, and trying to figure out where to store stuff. Thought I would feel overwhelmed with all those parts, but I got more excited the more I organized everything. I'll need to take a break in a few days as I want to knock out another practice kit quickly, but I've just been lying in bed thinking about it the past couple nights, and concentrating on work sure isn't happening.

What primer should I use and what parts should I prime? Just kidding! Time to forge ahead.

Jesse

Parts

Congratulations Jesse.
Every builder has a method. Find what works for you. FYI, there are a ton of bags in subsequent kits.
I'm sure others will comment.
I recommend breaking out the bags into multidrawer bins. Digging through bags will make you nuts. I have four bins and usually have empty drawers available.
My rivets are kept in empty water bottles. Hard to spill.
Small parts are kept in a storage container.
I have a working container for parts needed on the next step.
Skins go against a wall. Long parts in tubes.
Every part gets a location in my inventory spreadsheet.
BTW, if you want my spreadsheet, send me an e-mail.
It's a builder log with a complete 7 (a) inventory.

As NIKE is wont to say: Just Do It! You will make mistakes. Some will be superficial and inconsequential - only you will know about them (unless, like many of us, you feel compelled to point them out to every passerby). Some mistakes will be more significant and may require a replacement part and a rework - it's all part of the learning process. May I suggest that your goal should be to have an enjoyable experience constructing a safe, fun-to-fly, and useful air vehicle that has been constructed in accordance with proper techniques and procedures. You are not painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Start pounding those rivets!

ps - RPI '73

Last edited:
A word of caution. The build is very capable of changing your life in ways you never considered. You'll want so much info you'll read almost everything here, daydream and study a LOT! It can consume you and distract you from your work and family and that might not be so good, at least it did for me!

Now flying for two years and i'm finally getting to the point where I'm not checking here for new posts every hour, watching YouTube flying videos and planning paint schemes. Almost! Just be forewarned! :D:D:D

I'm planning on a safe, fun flyer, not a 100.00% show plane, so I will fix what truly needs fixing, but live with little things. Also well aware that it will be a big impact on my life and am planning on that! I want something productive to do. This has always been a dream of mine.

Welcome to the family! This is the best resource for all good things RV. Every time I do a new op, I research it here and all the related builder web sites.

Just remember, the 7A folks are good people, too ;-)

Another

Welcome to the VAF forum and hundreds of hours of "did he do it THAT way?" as you will find an enormous data bank of info here that will occupy your every hour of some days as you try to figure out how to build that box of metal into a plane.

I checked off each delivery and KEPT the checkoff sheet you will refer to it many times as you search for parts.

Every garage sale has a few of those organizers to keep small parts, i have about 7 going now and look for more all the time.

I have been building too long, some parts stored i have to look for. Some I swear walked from were i stored them originally. I have taken to a sheet on my clipboard of parts where my elevator is stored etc.

When i use a stock metal like an angle I will replace the stock number on it if i removed it. Sometimes you will use that metal again but not for two years in my build time.

Good luck with build. Although i had wanted mine built and flying this year maybe next year flying...... that will be six years building!

Dave

Jesse,

Way to go! Just like the other Jesse said, it can change your life. As you know, it certainly has changed mine!

I still need to take you for that $100,000 ride!

I will have some tie on my hands these next few weeks.

Shoot me a text and let's do some flying in the Mistress!!!

:) CJ

Thanks everyone. Just finished the inventory and having a ball. Found space to store everything. One part on back-order, and only one unexpectedly missing. No scrap provided either. Some of the holes of the powder coated hinges are kinda crappy, so I'll have to ream or file them out and recoat, other than that everything is in great condition.

John,

I think I have the flu, so am hoping its all wrapped up tomorrow so i can fly both days this weekend. We'll schedule something very soon as I gotta give one of these things a try. At least I know I'll be comfortable in one, so thanks for letting me sit in it!

Back