What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thanksgiving trip out West

blahphish

Well Known Member
Brandi, Lucy, and I piled into the -10 for yet another trip out West. What should have been an 8 or so hour flight turned into a much more full day of flying since we had to dodge some weather in TX, not to mention the 60kt headwind on the second half of the trip!

IMG_0352-M.png

I have found that pictures of clouds and scenery never do any justice to the actual experience - never the less we flew past some spectacular views so I will put the picture on here anyways with the caveat that it was breathtaking and that must be taken on faith or experience.

IMG_1591-2-M.jpg

Lucy got some good flight practice in on the way up. She normally is stuck in the back with Brandi but I sometimes get Brandi to pass her up front so I can play with her for a few minutes.

DSC00577-2-M.jpg

We visited my Granny in Show Low, AZ. Brandi and I flew to Phoenix one night to catch an NHL game (Coyotes vs Avs). Mark one more NHL arena off the list and many left to go. We also went to the Petrified Forest National Park while we were there. It was awesome! It was a little windy while we were there so all the photos of Brandi looked about like this:

IMG_1619-2-M.jpg

We then flew down to Guaymas Mexico to spend Thanksgiving at my grandparents vacation home with the rest of my family. Lu played in the sand at the beach for the first time and enjoyed it very much. I got lessons on how to kite surf and pulled myself through the water with no board for my first session. It was a blast!

DSC00597-2-M.jpg

The whole family piled onto my Grandpa's boat and we fished and had a great time. I caught a ~12lb yellow tail and others caught yellow tail too. We ate some of it on the boat and brought some home with us for later. Yum!

IMG_1670-2-M.jpg

The trip back home was scenic through central and North Eastern Mexico. Its pretty uninhabited but there were some neat little towns we flew over where there were rivers and farm land.

IMG_1709-M.jpg

Another wonderful adventure in the family adventure machine with many more hopefully to come.

Inspiring.

I hope to do the same with my family some day. However, by the time my bird's done, I won't be able to pass either of my kids up to the front seat! :)

Great Pictures, Guys!

You all seem to stay in the air with that -10! No wonder we can never catch you at KRYY. We want to come over one day to see you in our -10.

Brian,
You should have noted the light weight and space saving Pack N Play Brandi made for the trip! Saved like 13lbs or so! :)

Awesome trip guys!

Brian,
You should have noted the light weight and space saving Pack N Play Brandi made for the trip! Saved like 13lbs or so! :)

Awesome trip guys!

Here's the travel crib I made:
10405317_10152433254597601_277962833901320468_n-M.jpg

It's the same size as a pack-n-play only it takes up less space when disassembled and weighs 13 lbs less. Used a twin sized camping pad folded in half for the mattress and PVC pipe for the frame. Sewed the sides with netting and home decor weight fabric. Two sides are removable (with snaps) for easier access to baby. It cost me about $50. Fits perfectly in the baggage compartment and weighs just 9lbs.

Brian, Brandi,
Lucy is just precious. Thanks for sharing yet another great trip. Hope to see you all soon.

Did you show your grandma how you twist and snap a lobster in half?
Can you also use this method on yellow tail?;)

Back