What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plastic tubing vs aluminum...

Gregg Brightwell

Well Known Member
From the pitot tube through the wing and to the panel. Which would you recommend and why?

I like the plastic, but not sure of any potential pitfalls.

What say ye?

Gregg

Plastic is good in protected areas, I would use aluminum in areas where there is a chance of crushing/chaffing such as the footwells and cocpit area. Even the F-106 built in the late 50's used some plastic tubing for the p/s lines.

Last edited:
the SafeAir 1 stuff sold by Avery seems pretty indestructible, leakproof, and very easy to use. Take a look at: http://www.averytools.com/products.asp?dept=25

If you look real close in one of those pictures, the tubing says SMC on it. SMC is the company I used to work for. It's standard polyurethane or nylon airline tubing for compressed air. The fittings all look like standard pneumatic push to connect fittings as well. I imagine that stuff could be purchased from a local pneumatic components distributor for much cheaper.

One thing about aluminum tubing is that it will last as long as the airframe. If tubing is going to be put into places that will be inaccessible later on, then aluminum is a great idea. I have seen plastic tubing get brittle in 20 years - so ask yourself if you will have access to replace it. If so, then you shouldn't have a problem.

Paul

I used both

I used the aluminum tubing supplied by Vans for the airspeed line, then 1/4" OD ice maker line plastic tubing for the AOA pitot. I ran the plastic pitot inside my PVC electrical conduit. You can also purchase the quick connect fittings at the home center stores.

9002b650.jpg

I used Nyloseal. 14 years of pitot / static and Transponder checks have had no leaks.

Back