What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting on the Top Skin of the Right Wing

cka357

It's time to order the fuselage. I never dreamed we would get the emp and wings done in a year. The project has been a blast so far. Here is a quick video of our riveting technique. After 5000 rivets we finally have our technique down. Too bad it doesn't go as fast when attaching the bottom skin.:)

http://youtu.be/CuwL2seLFmA

Chuck

Chuck-
Wanna come down for a weekend and give me a hand with my top skins (both wing panels? :D All the beer and food you can eat :D. I'll be ready in about 2 weeks.

Daniel,

Would love to help. The top side is not bad at all. However, the bottom skins stink but can be accomplised in a couple weekends. It takes time for the skin to heal. Actually, we made a quick video for fun. We were able to shoot a row of rivets in under three minutes for the top side after some practice. Triple that for the bottom. Good Luck.

Chuck

Chuck-

Fascinating! Can you elaborate a bit on your wing stand/jig? What it's made of?

Thanks

Iluke,

The jig is made from Bosh aluminum extrusion. Another competitors trade name is 80/20. This was made from pieces left over from assembly line retrofit. It goes together like an erector set and is very strong. Tee slots and Tee nuts hold the assembly together. The fixture is fully adjustable height wise by two repurposed servos from an ergonomic desk or hospital bed. I will try and find a picture of the setup for you. I plan to retrofit the jig for my fuse as well once the wings are completed.

Chuck

Back