What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque Wrench Question (Split from another thread)

clutch22

Well Known Member
... since we're kind of on the topic of torque and I'm just starting my build, the torque wrench that I have is the cheap pendulum style.
With the low torque values on some of the smaller bolts (10-15 in-lb), it hardly is enough to move my guage. Also, I dont really have much faith in the precision this style. Would it be in my best interest to invest in a click type wrench or do you guys find this wrench sufficient?

Last edited by a moderator:
... Would it be in my best interest to invest in a click type wrench or do you guys find this wrench sufficient?

Andrew,

Yes it would be a worthy investment to procure a good 5 - 50 in lb torque wrench. The larger torque wrenches (ft lbs) are not ranged for small torque values. Most of the AN3 and AN4 bolts are measured in In-lbs. Many of the 1/4" drive digital torque tools will work.

Chuck

... since we're kind of on the topic of torque and I'm just starting my build, the torque wrench that I have is the cheap pendulum style.
With the low torque values on some of the smaller bolts (10-15 in-lb), it hardly is enough to move my guage. Also, I dont really have much faith in the precision this style. Would it be in my best interest to invest in a click type wrench or do you guys find this wrench sufficient?
I would not be concerned about the "accuracy" of that type of torque wrench. In many respects that type of torque wrench can be more accurate than a click type wrench.

However, I would agree you should purchase a click type torque wrench that will measure the smaller values. It is being able to accurately measure a smaller torque value that you need to correct rather than the "type" of wrench you use.

I like my Craftsman torque wrenches. I have one in inch pounds and one for up to 175ft-lbs. Ratchet style and very reliable.

I have a couple of the craftsman torque wrenches, but for these lower torque values I bought a 1/4" drive click type torque wrench. I can't remember where I got it right now. I'm always paranoid about these types of things. For a few bucks in the grand scheme of things its more than worth it.

Oh and I'm marking them with torque seal so I think you would see the reminants in this case if it had been applied.

Torque Screwdriver

I got this on the big auction site at someone's recommendation from this site. Use it all the time for the smaller nuts. Used but checked against my nicer CDI and it's spot on. I also use it for screws. 6-30 inch/lbs. It's a Utica TS-30. Got it for less than 1/5 of an aviation unit!

%2524%2528KGrHqMOKj8E3IY%2528F5E%2528BN-C-BD-M%2521%257E%257E_12.jpg

As a rule of thumb, torque wrenches are most accurate in the middle of their acceptable range and least accurate at the top and lowest 10%. For example, if a wrench is rated for 20 to 100 in-Lbs, it's least likely to be accurate below 28 in-Lbs and above 92 in-Lbs. Because of this, an assortment of torque wrenches is a good idea for a well stocked shop. See:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/torque-wrench-FAQ.htm

Calibration services...?

I have a couple of click type torque wrenches that I would like to get (re-)calibrated. Can anyone recommend a good source?

Thanks,

... since we're kind of on the topic of torque ........ Would it be in my best interest to invest in a click type wrench or do you guys find this wrench sufficient?

You will not always be able to see the pendulum torque wrench value. Clicking works very well in those situations. I use the pendulum type and the Utica TS30 to validate each other when I am testing the dry resistance of the nyloc nuts. They both reflect nearly the same values so I am comfortable with the results.
Dry resistance torque on AN3 nyloc nuts I tested was between 6 and 9 in/lbs.
AN4, AN5, and AN6 nyloc nuts were about the same resistance at 15-18 in/lbs.
I add 8 in/lbs for AN3 , and 16 in/lbs for AN4,AN5, and AN6 nylon nuts to the required torque level when I set my click wrench. YMMV.

The hazards of going cheap ....

I bought a 1/4" drive clicker style at the flymarket at OSH ...at one of those booths that sells all Made-in-China. It is worthless. The only time it clicks is when i drop it on the floor in disgust. ;) So I bought a 1/4" drive pendulum style intended for bicycle shops ... good up to 70 in-lbs. It works great, but yes, at times it's VERY hard to see the scale. So I drew matching lines on the backside of the scale with a sharpie. Works great for a cheap-a** like me. :D

I purchased this 1/4 drive dual scale 0-70in lb from McMaster Carr 5718A43 it currently is listed for 153.90. The dual scale has a peak indicator pointer which lets you see what you just applied if in a tight location. When it arrived the case stated CDI a Snap-On company. They also have 0-30 and 0-15 in lb for only 7 bucks more.

Alan

As a rule of thumb, torque wrenches are most accurate in the middle of their acceptable range and least accurate at the top and lowest 10%. For example, if a wrench is rated for 20 to 100 in-Lbs, it's least likely to be accurate below 28 in-Lbs and above 92 in-Lbs. Because of this, an assortment of torque wrenches is a good idea for a well stocked shop. See:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/torque-wrench-FAQ.htm

+1

And the click type also needs to be stored at the lowest setting, but no lower. Additionally, it should be "clicked" several times before use each day to lubricate the mechanism.

Finally, dropping on the floor or setting outside the normal range means a trip to the cal lab.

Back