What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Did you fly your RV to OSH this year?

rvbuilder2002

Legacy Member
Mentor
Did you register it at aircraft registration?

Why am I interested?
Mid week aircraft registration was reporting that approx. 25% of all show planes on the airport were RV's.
Think about that for a minute. Of all the combined total of the antiques, classics, contemporaries, war birds, and homebuilts; 25% of them were RV's.
It is very possible that by the end of the week (after the grounds had further dried out) that more of the other types arrived, but it is still impressive. Very likely some RV owners did not register and get their mug (it is now a prized possession of my daughter who attended this year for the first time) which would have made the total even higher.

Next year be sure to register (and get your free collector mug).

Interesting. I know there were 432 aircraft on the ground at Fond du Lac on Tuesday morning, many of them RV's and many of them, like us, just figured we'd stay there even though it was our original intent to fly on in to Oshkosh. We've done that before a few times but it makes you wonder what the numbers would have been if all the area arrivals had been able to land at Osh when they wanted...

I flew my -6 in on Sunday (before the show) about 10 AM and it was so slow at Fisk they asked what runway I would like. Landed on 36 and Jeff Point's folks ushered me to a spot just north of the forum buildings. The parking area was a little soft but useable. I didn't register as I had already done so in 2001 and got the mug. Left for So. St. Paul (KSGS) after the airshow on Wednesday. Great time...

Well I flew toward it in general

I flew our RV-6A in the AirVenture Cup Air Race from Mitchell, South Dakota to the finish line at Snow Crest Ranch then on to Dodge County Airport to Refuel before returning home to Arkansas. So, I participated in the annual affair but I did not fly into Wittman Field.

Bob Axsom

Nine Mugs

February 2000 saw the first flight of our 6A and was also the first year we flew the 6A to OSH. Eleven OSH's have passed and we added the ninth mug to the shelf at this years AirVenture. Next year we'll add number 10 to the shelf. I don't know why, but I really like the mugs.

Last edited:
Got my first mug!

After greeting Danny and Marthajane King to OSH each of the last several years and watching as they registered the Beautiful Doll and got their mugs, it was with some satisfaction that I did the same this year and acquired my first mug!

We started a new tradition this year, too. We took our mugs to the Homebuilders' Dinner and initiated them! Looking forward to doing the same next year with Mug #2.

With so many RVs at OSH, it makes me wonder what it would be like if a big chunk of the entire RV fleet -- say 25% -- showed up one year? Would they find new places to park, or just start turning them away?

First flight to OSH

We made our first flying trip to Oshkosh this year. 4 hours of flying surely beats 15 hours of driving. We did register our plane and got our mug.

It looked like every 2nd plane in homebuilt camping was an RV. 25% RV representation for showplanes seems to substantiate that.

No RV ...

No Mug this year. I worked in Averys tool Booth in Building C. Bob Avery buys us tickets on American Airlines, and has a house rented. One year I flew Borrowed Horse to OSH got the Mug and was sad to see my RV 6 dusty and neglected while I worked the Booth. Now when Bob needs help, I do not fly my plane to OSH

I have 9 Mugs starting in 1997, skipping every other year, more or less,,, 3 different RVs and one Northstar SuperCub, 'Shooter' in attendance.
Those Mugs are a real treasure. They have Show Plane Participant on them......................,

Last edited:
With so many RVs at OSH, it makes me wonder what it would be like if a big chunk of the entire RV fleet -- say 25% -- showed up one year? Would they find new places to park, or just start turning them away?
Don, this is the question that keeps me up at night for most of the month of July. Last year was the first year ever that we literally ran out of space in the parking area and had to divert RVs (and other homebuilts) down to the far south end of the field. That would not have been possible this year, because of the wet conditions in that area. Attendance (of RVs) was down about 20% from previous years, mostly due to people staying away, or staying at other nearby airports and busing in.

I think it highly unlikely that a sudden surge to 25% of the 7K RV fleet would occur in one year. However, there has been slow, steady growth in the number of RVs showing up (5-10% range every year) and based on completion rates, this seems likely to continue for the near future. This is the big issue that is driving the discussions about best use of the existing grounds at Oshkosh.

As I recall, Jeff, many years ago they used to park the show planes in double rows -- tail-to-tail, sort of -- but that's not been done in years. Might that be a solution?

And, with the popularity of camping in HBC increasing (and the HBC area taking more area from the RV parking), is anything in the works to head off that potential problem?

I also flew in for the first time. Awesome experience. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't register and get that fantastic mug. It was great to have Jeff park me in a sweet spot.

As Jeff said, I doubt that there would be a sudden surge of the RV fleet of that magnitude, but the steady increase could eventually present a challenge. I'm amazed that RV's represent 25% of all showplanes, but it is entirely believable when I work the numbers in my head, especially early in the week when many non-RV's were still stuck at other airports.

I flew my -8 in with my brother in the back seat for a quick 2 day OSH adventure. Rolled in Tuesday morning at 0730 and left Thursday at 0845. Even with just 2 full days there I was worn out!

When I registered, the girl at the desk mentioned a mug but didn't have them available right then. Huh. This was my 3rd time to fly my RV into OSH and this was the first I've heard of "the mug". What's the significance? Can anyone post a pic of one so I can see what I missed out on?

We missed the Sunday arrival and made it on Monday morning at 10 am. My son got to fly left seat and was excited for the opportunity. We left Tuesday afternoon before they got the mugs in.

N 44TK

I flew my RV-4 into OSH from Oregon, together with my neighbor Louis Imbert as my backseater. We were one of the lucky few, arriving about 1:30 PM on Saturday, July 24, and were able to land without being diverted. I registered and was able to pickup my souvenir mug Tuesday afternoon.

Jake Thiessen

Last edited:
We flew in

Bonnie and I flew into Oshkosh in out RV10 on the Friday afternoon before the show started. There were only 6 or so parked in home built camping. The parking crew where concerned that an RV10 might get stuck so we were parked just west of the pad where the war bird campers were parked. We stayed dry, and thanks to some boards I had broght to park on, had no troubles. By the end of the afternoon, there were only a dozen or so parked in HBC.

Photos

Here are two photos of mine from 2006

IMG_4351.jpg

IMG_4352.jpg

Bob Axsom

Another Show, Another Mug

I flew in on Sunday with 3 other RVs. Landed about 1:30 and got a very nice spot just three rows from the front of HBP and not far from Van's tent. I always register at the Homebuilders Headquarters.

I always thought the mugs were for renewing your annual membership during the show, but apparently not. I did not renew this year on site -- no one asked (Note to EAA: need some sales training here guys). I renew in November anyway. The mugs weren't available on Sunday but by the time I went back on Wednesday to inquire they were on hand. I asked and they gave. I now have four. Next year it goes with me to the homebuilders dinner.

Chris

MUG???

I flew in. This was our first trip to Oshkosh. I registered on Tuesday. But NO ONE offered me a mug!!!!

In fact, as I checked in at the Homebuilt HQ, I laid my (recently purchased) $18 sunglasses on the counter. When I left and was walking over toward the tower, I realized that I was missing them. I ran right back and--gone.

So just now I realized I was the recipient of a double whammy. No sunglasses AND NO MUG.

Monday to Friday

My wife Linda and I made the 4 hour trip from VA. Arrived on monday around 11am local time. Had a great praking spot on row 338. Got out after the show on Friday.

Her first time to Osh, My second time but first time flying in. Got the mug.

Looking forward to next year :)

YES MUG

I flew in. This was our first trip to Oshkosh. I registered on Tuesday. But NO ONE offered me a mug!!!!

They run out of Mugs.....I got mine on Wednesday morning, after they replenished it. Got to ASK...otherwise NO MUG.

Got the mug

I flew a friends RV-6A to OSH and arrived Monday at 1 PM CDT. The chap who registered me indicated that the mug vendor (from TX as I recall) was late delivering the mugs. (Was it a rain delay?)

When I went back to get my camping refund on Thursday, I inquired about the mug. The computer records were checked. They handed me a mug.

I did manage to get it home without breaking it!

Dale

I didn't fly my RV to OSH this year, BUT...

I couldn't get in to OSH or FLD on Sunday afternoon.
Since I had a plan 'B' to be picked up at Dodge Co. by
my camping friends, I tied down at UNU for the week
and bought my passes at Camp Sholler.

While waiting for a ride to the Homebuilt dinner at
HBHQ, I was talking to a worker at the counter and
he asked for my EAA number. He registered me and
handed me my mug, etc. I don't know what he put
in the 'row' column on the form.

So, I was registered with my plane about 40 miles away.

I thought that was unique,
Tom 'Chox' Webster

Last edited:
This was the 12th trip for the airplane and me. I now have twelve mugs sitting in my hangar and 12 Champion Oshkosh stickers on the airplane baggage compartment bulkhead. This would have been the 13th trip but in 2001, I went to Alaska and did not make it to Oshkosh.

For those that did not fly in, I had my wing mount video camera on for the flight into AirVenture 2010 on Sunday before opening day. I also had an audio recorder on the intercom and radio. I will post a link when I get it edited down to something that may be worth watching.

I have been going to OSH since 1983 and 2010 was the second year for my RV 7-A and the first year with paint. Arrived Monday, got the mug Tuesday and came home Friday. Met a lot of RV drivers this year.
oshkosh2010002.jpg

Mugs on the last Sunday

After my flat tire while taxiing in at noon on the last Sunday.....I parked, tied down and went to register at 1:55 pm Central time, yes, just 10 minutes prior to the last airshow....talk about empty parking.
Well, I asked if they were still going to charge me for 3 hours and they said yes. Wow. THey had to get my wrist band out of a box as they had put it away. I did get my mug as they were packing them away and as I walked away I saw them handing each other mugs (the guys working the registration building) They were nice and helpful, just surprised they still charged me.
Oh well, I was "officially" there

EAA kudos

In fact, as I checked in at the Homebuilt HQ, I laid my (recently purchased) $18 sunglasses on the counter. When I left and was walking over toward the tower, I realized that I was missing them. I ran right back and--gone.

So just now I realized I was the recipient of a double whammy. No sunglasses AND NO MUG.

About two weeks ago, my Airventure 2010 mug showed up in the mail. Wow. What a great surprise. My Saturday morning coffee tasted much better this weekend!!

really? wow - I missed out on a ribbon. bummer.

Aww, don't sweat the ribbon. I got mine and as I was cleaning the hangar the other day, looked at my Perseverance Award ribbon with pride ... and then noticed that it actually said "PERSERVERANCE AWARD".

I dropped EAA a note pointing out the misspelling. Maybe the next batch they print up will be correct. Hold out for a new one. :D

I flew my friend's new RV-8 into Oshkosh and got the yellow perseverence ribbon, but did not know anything about any mugs... totally unaware of the mug thing altogether and suddenly a couple weeks ago a mystery package was sitting in my mailbox when I came home from work... an Oshkosh 2010 Showplane mug! What a nice surprise. I noticed that the EAA spent more money to ship me the mug ($9) than it probably cost them to have the mug made. They still made plenty of profit on me this year anyway :rolleyes:

Yellow ribbon

Coincidentally, I just received a kind note from one Charlie Becker with the EAA. He sent me a .pdf of an article that tells the history of the Perseverance Award, which I would attach here for everyone's edification ... but I don't know how. If anyone has a clue, please PM me.

And, if you flew your plane to SloshKosh this year and DIDN'T get your ribbon, he said to just contact him and he'll see to it that you get your ribbon -- misspelled, of course. :D

PM me for his e-mail address if this applies.

Make sure you take your new RV to OSH
within a year after first flight if you want
a perseverance ribbon.
After the first year you can't receive one.

Tom

Back