What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider canopy handle

murphyjr

Anyone ever installed a handle at the aft end of a RV-8 canopy to help pull it open from the closed position ? Any photos ? John Murphy

John,
I went to Lowes and picked up a sleek aluminum kitchen cabinet pull. It looks like it was meant for the job...

I have seen lots of -8's with a little piece of angle rivetted on the lower aft left corner of the skirt to provide a place to lift. Weighs almost nothing. I just haven't ever gotten around to doing it on the Val - but think about it every time I open the canopy!

paul

I ran into the same problem on an RV that I am lucky enough to fly. Another friend of mine had machined a slider handle for his airplane and it worked so well I CNC machined a few more.

I made extras and was planning on getting them anodized. Let me know if you are interested in one.

-Tres

P8250661.JPG

IMG00146.jpg

Just a little plug for Tres' machined canopy handle (pictured above). I ordered one, and it turned out to be a beautiful little work of art.

You can't tell from the photos, but the overall size is approximately 4" x 3/4", and most people will be able to comfortably get two fingers in the handle. Looks like it'll work perfectly on my RV-8, as well as any other RV canopy.

Thanks, Tres!

I still have a few handles laying around. I even have a couple that are Black Anodized if anyone is interested.

Handle

I would like one too if you don't mind sending to New Zealand. Let me know price and shipping.

Clive Whittfield

Back