What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Positech vs All other oil coolers

mbick

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Positech oil coolers. I have the 10006 on my AEIO36 angle valve and it is not enough. Ironically it is not during full power or climb out, but when in cruise conditions when temps climb the most. I suspect it has piston squirters and that would make sense, but oil temps get to about 220 during cruise and I would like to get it below 200.

So if any one has some experience with Positech and has compared them to SW oil coolers or any others like the "X series" from airflow systems, I'd like to hear what you have found out.

Thanks
Mike

Search on this forum for "Setrab" oil cooler. A lot of people especially Rocket owners are using them. The model they seem to be using the most is the 110. There is a mounting kit available that some are using to make it easier.

I've found them on line for around $100. My current cooler is the stock Vans cooler but is cracking around the mounting flanges so am planning to change to the Setrab this fall.

Thanks for the help! I ordered and received the Setrab -113 oil cooler. It is tiny in comparison to my Positech 20006 and I am wondering would have the 119 been better choice or have people have had good luck with the 113 with larger engines? It is an 200HP AEIO360

My buddy has a 113 on his RV4 but it is for a 320, he is lucky to see 180 during climb on a warm day and was rubbing it in while I was cussing my temps. But my old RV4 was lucky to see 180 as well with a Positech Anyway I will let you know how it goes and again thanks for the help!!

Mike

I've been using a Positech oil cooler on my IO-360 angle valve with great results. There are several factors that can cause any oil cooler to not do as well as you would expect... 1) 90 degree fitting on the oil lines/oil cooler will restrict flow, 2) oil cooler location and restricted air flow.

I have my positech mounted on homemade brackets off the firewall, a fiberglass plenum that allows the air to disperse to all areas of the cooler, only one 45 degree fitting on the back of the engine (to clear the oil filter), and a very short length of 3" SCAT hose.

While flying in the Houston summers, I never saw oil temps over about 205 degrees F. And that was during extended climbs.

YMMV

Karl

Thanks for the help! I ordered and received the Setrab -113 oil cooler. It is tiny in comparison to my Positech 20006 and I am wondering would have the 119 been better choice or have people have had good luck with the 113 with larger engines? It is an 200HP AEIO360

My buddy has a 113 on his RV4 but it is for a 320, he is lucky to see 180 during climb on a warm day and was rubbing it in while I was cussing my temps. But my old RV4 was lucky to see 180 as well with a Positech Anyway I will let you know how it goes and again thanks for the help!!

Mike
Mike -

I have a FADEC controlled 180HP IO-360 Mattituck engine in my -8A, now with 12 hours on it. I am getting very high oil temps - ~230?F in cruise (24"/2400 RPM) at 55?F OAT. Certainly this is partly due to the fact that it is still breaking in and the engine has piston squirts. Also, the FADEC adds some heat as well. I've done just about everything I can to seal the baffles well. I currently have Van's standard Niagra cooler. I just ordered a -113 Setrab and will give that a shot. I have read posts of some RV-6's using the -110 cooler and it working almost too good. Some Rocket guys use the -113 successfully. I think the -113 is the biggest that I will be able to fit on my rear baffle.

Mike, food for thought. I have built two RV8's with the first oil cooler mounted on the left rear baffle. High oil temps of 230 on a long climbout.
Second RV-8 with the 540 oil cooler (Van's) and a 230 HP 360. I mounted the oil cooler on the starboard side of the firewall with a 4" scat off the right rear baffle. I used the Van's accordian shutter for oil temp control. Guess what..had trouble getting the temps above 160 even with the louvers closed.
My harmond rocket friends from Bakersfield all had oil temp problems until the started using the right side rear baffle.

Don't have the logic but have built alot of homebuilts and this seems to solve the problem.

Rod Bower
Ramairfor homebuilts.com

Ok Just a an update. The Setrab cooler ran even hotter. Took all of two times around the pattern before it reached 240. :(

Mike, food for thought. I have built two RV8's with the first oil cooler mounted on the left rear baffle. High oil temps of 230 on a long climbout.
Second RV-8 with the 540 oil cooler (Van's) and a 230 HP 360. I mounted the oil cooler on the starboard side of the firewall with a 4" scat off the right rear baffle. I used the Van's accordian shutter for oil temp control. Guess what..had trouble getting the temps above 160 even with the louvers closed.
My harmond rocket friends from Bakersfield all had oil temp problems until the started using the right side rear baffle.

Don't have the logic but have built alot of homebuilts and this seems to solve the problem.

Rod Bower
Ramairfor homebuilts.com

Rod,
Thanks but The inverted system pretty much prevents me from doing so and it is tight quarters. But I am curious the #3 cylinder is usually the hottest so I would think the the airflow would be limited in that corner. ?? But I guess it works.

Maybe there is problem other than oil cooler selection.

I am pretty sure of that now. Now comes the hard part diagnosing the not so obvious. I have already replace the vernatherm.

Some advanced trouble shooting is needed. I guess I need to measure the pressure behind the engine to see if there is not a pressure build up. The plane has about 158 sq inches outlet along with louvers on the bottom side of the cowl and about 64 sq inches *2 inlet. The CHT's are 350 across the board.

I am going to measure the temp off the back of the cooler. At the same time I am going to measure the pressure behind the engine.

Any other suggestions how to put some of this to science would be helpful.

Thanks
Mike

Mike,

Did you do any measurements? I'd be especially interested in the pressure behind the engine.

Thanks,

John

I am pretty sure of that now. Now comes the hard part diagnosing the not so obvious. I have already replace the vernatherm.

Some advanced trouble shooting is needed. I guess I need to measure the pressure behind the engine to see if there is not a pressure build up. The plane has about 158 sq inches outlet along with louvers on the bottom side of the cowl and about 64 sq inches *2 inlet. The CHT's are 350 across the board.

I am going to measure the temp off the back of the cooler. At the same time I am going to measure the pressure behind the engine.

Any other suggestions how to put some of this to science would be helpful.

Thanks
Mike

Have you checked the oil temp probe and gauge are giving the correct readings ?

Back