What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Installation Question

VF84Sluggo

Well Known Member
Folks, I’m looking at buying this RV-4. Nice looking engine compartment, but anyone have any idea what the fitting/hose attached to the top of the plenum is for?

Also, I’ve never seen cooling fins on an oil filter before. Makes me wonder if there’s been an issue with high oil temps.

And looking at that oil filter arrangement, how would you ever get that off without dumping oil down everywhere?

Your thoughts appreciated!

Attachments

• 17440676-3755-446E-800B-B1947CDE20BA.jpeg
    17440676-3755-446E-800B-B1947CDE20BA.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 541
The obvious question is; where does the other end of that blast tube go? I see a remote oil cooler coming off of #4, so it's not that.

Not sure what the snorkle is for. Maybe cabin air. The oil filter is in the same location as on my RV-4. Easy to get a small container under it to catch whatever leaks out. Just make sure you poke a hole in the filter top before removal to make sure most of the oil drains into the sump. The filter fins are probably unnecessary. Most -4s are over cooled by the oil cooler. I have to block mine off during the winter here in Maryland and it is set up just as it shows in your photo of this bird.
Alan

Good replies, thx. Going to try and speak with the owner’s mech soon, find out what I can about this. Maybe get more pics from different angles.

...and GREAT suggestion about poking a hole in the filter first and letting it drain. A bud just texted me with that same recommendation.

RV-4 engine

I think that is indeed an oil filter cooler but I don’t think it’s necessary if you have a well mounted oil cooler. I found one very similar to your picture (see below). Not sure how well they work.

I’ve seen other styles similar to this advertised as oil filter magnets being able to capture metal particles and hold them in the filter and out of the engine.

Not that familiar with plenum but one looks pretty well made with easy access panels to get to the plugs during the annual.

http://www.airwolf.com/aw/products/oil-filter-chiller

Last edited:
And looking at that oil filter arrangement, how would you ever get that off without dumping oil down everywhere?

Your thoughts appreciated!
i have the same kind of filter mount, and i just put a plastic bag under it or just a rag, spin it off, and might get a few drops in the bag or on the rag. The oil does not freely flow out. It's not a problem at all.

First impressions

Randy

Given the attention to detail that one photo shows. Whoever built the aircraft certainly put in a lot of effort. Yes it’s still worthwhile having a pre-buy inspection by an experienced rv person.
As for oil cooling I think the angle valve engines are more critical than parallel valve ones. So unlikely to be an issue. More likely the builder went OTT.
The best “tool” I’ve brought was a form-a-funnel. Shape it to catch any oil that spills from the filter change.

Regards

Peter

Finned oil cooler

I had a Globe Swift with a Conti O300 and no oil cooler when I bought it. Added the pictured fins to the oil cooler and oil temps were fine. It was just a pain to reinstall after oil changes.

Back