What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Millennium Cylinder piston pins

Robski

Hi all. I have a Lycoming O-320-E2D in my RV-6 and it's time for new cylinders. Probably going to go with Superior Millennium cylinders but they don't come with piston pins.

I think the Lycoming parts are LW-14078 pins using 72198 plugs.
The Superior alternative is the SL-13444-1 that is a pin including the plugs, but while this is FAA approved for lots of O-320s it isn't for the E2D.

Anyone know why one shouldn't use the Superior alternative to the LW-14078 in a Superior cylinder?

0320-E2D

The E2D is a 7:1 compression motor putting out 150 hp. They used the thin wall piston pins. The 8.5:1 compression motors putting out 160 hp used the thick wall piston pins. I suspect you will be running the higher compression pistons in your new cylinders so go with the afore mentioned pins. As long as you change them in full sets, (to prevent imbalance) I would run the heavy pins in all applications.

It will be staying at 7:1 as the authorities over here won't allow it upping to 8.5:1. The SI 1267D says use the thick wall pin for all O-320 versions when the cylinders are changed as a set which I will be doing.

It was just the FAA saying that the SL-13444-1 isn't approved for the E2D that I was querying - does anyone know why that should be?

It will be staying at 7:1 as the authorities over here won't allow it upping to 8.5:1. The SI 1267D says use the thick wall pin for all O-320 versions when the cylinders are changed as a set which I will be doing.

It was just the FAA saying that the SL-13444-1 isn't approved for the E2D that I was querying - does anyone know why that should be?

because that engine was originally specified with the thin wall pin. FAA doesn't allow changes without an STC. Follow lycomings guidance to upsize it.

Back